Are these drives screwed?

rive22

Supreme [H]ardness
I was in the middle of testing 8x 8TB WD Reds on my test bench, I turned the fans off for what was supposed to be a couple minutes while I was moving some cords around, then the door bell rang and I completely forgot about them. I've come back about 1 and a half hours later and the temps are between 65C-69C on each drive.

Just for the record of inquiring minds, the temps are fine with fans on at 26-31C+/-.

Son of a bitch. Are these going to be screwed? They all show fine in SMART right now.

It looks like I'm borderline on the specs from WD site:

Temperature (°C)
Operating
0 to 65
Non-operating
-40 to 70

Last edited:
Are these going to be screwed?

We have had an AC failure at work in our server room where the room temp was over 120F. A 1/2 dozen of the drives in these servers report several hundred reallocated sectors (AC failed during weekly scrubs on all servers) from this however this number remains the same as it happened 2 to 3 years ago. All of the drives are fine and are in use today.

The affected drives were (I believe) Toshiba Enterprise and WDC Black 2TB SATA 7200 RPM drives. I did not have any WDC reds in the servers.

Edit: I have since added scripted shutdowns for all systems in the server room. If the AC fails again and the drive temps are over the temp thresholds I set I have the server shutdown.

We have had an AC failure at work in our server room where the room temp was over 120F. A 1/2 dozen of the drives in these servers report several hundred reallocated sectors (AC failed during weekly scrubs on all servers) from this however this number remains the same as it happened 2 to 3 years ago. All of the drives are fine and are in use today.

Was the AC out for a long time? I'm hoping I can skate by from the small less than 90 minute window. =/

I'd really rather not send all these back and wait for new ones and start everything all over again.

I need to be smacked in the face.

Good point. So these were probably only hot for more like 60 minutes.

Cool, I hope so. I've had many drives run hot before in the 55+ region at times, but 65+ is a new territory.

These drives are pretty awesome, quiet as mice, ~191MBps @ 16ms. Not quite as fast as the 5TB+ 7.2k drives but fast enough considering no noise.

These 8TB WD Reds are faster in reads/writes/access than my 4TB 7200 HGST's.

Last edited:
Back