are these chips worth my time?

f1y

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey DC forum. I folded back in 2008 and got up to 250k points and quit.

I just got a batch of 5 new pcs in at work and decided to stress them for a good weekend before I spent my time on them. Had an issue with new pcs being flaky recently. This has pushed me near 350k points and sparked my interest again in folding.

I have access to two intel S500PALR and two Xeon E5345 . these are 2.33ghz 4 core socket 771 machines. Think these are equal to some Q6600/Q6700 chips

IF have two of these setups. It'll be 16 cores total. (two boxes so no bigadv) This equipment is all at it's EOL and from 2006/2007 era. From what I can find online, both setups will net me about 15k PPD so two of these servers running is equal to what a couple newer Phenom 2 X6 PCs are doing for me. Is this correct? I think for 30k ppd it's not worth it.

Is my math here correct that these will get about 30k/ppd? I mean, these chips go for <10 on ebay, so i think my math is right

Reading other numbers looks like one i7 does around 30k a day..

Man numbers have changed since 2008

Last edited:
Should be around 12K to 18K PPD depending on WUs per machine. Really not work it. A mid-scale video card will produce more at least power. Welcome to 2013.

Should be around 12K to 18K PPD depending on WUs per machine. Really not work it. A mid-scale video card will produce more at least power. Welcome to 2013.

yeah, that's what I was thinking :(

You guys are way cooler then me

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
yeah, that's what I was thinking :(

You guys are way cooler then me

Definitely not meant to be/sound that way. 5 to 6 year old hardware just does not cut it in the world of folding now days.

If it can complete WU's in time then its good, remember this is about science and helping people not the points, every little helps.

not for big numbers, it'll still fold though. ;)

If it can complete WU's in time then its good, remember this is about science and helping people not the points, every little helps.

Throw a killawatt on those boxes and log the wat/ppd.

Go buy a gtx 660/670/680 and log the watt/ppd and then determine. Yeah, he might have the hardware, but the cost of operation may not be on par with output.

Just my 2 cents.

Back