• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Are there inherent problems with Large cooling loops...?

Geodesix

n00b
Joined
Jun 30, 2004
Messages
22
Hello there...

The problem I'm having is that I have two computers in a small room with no windows to open, it's not even the middle of summer and the computer room is COOKING, so much that I don't even want to play for any length of time. I wish to install water cooling on the two systems and I am confident in the choices I've made for the componants but I have a question about a large cooling loop. I don't want to have the watercooling setup in the comp room as I'll have the same problem as I do at the moment, I was hoping to put together an external rad/pump box and route the lines thru the wall into the laundry room where the rad box but that's going to involve upto 20 feet of line one way between the computer and the rad box. Is such a large loop going to cause problems? I plan on using one or two(if needed) MCP600 pumps and three waterblocks, cpu, gpu and chipset passing thru two heatercores, much like the rad box that Cathar built... Any and all insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance for any help offered...

Geodesix
 
I don't mind running an Iwaki or something I'm just wondering if the size of the loop is going to negitively effect anything...
 
Well if your pump can't handle the pressure, you'll have low flowrates. You'll want a beefy pump for that many components alone, not to mention all the extra tubing.
 
make sure you take care of leaks properly. have a water level meter, a flow rate indicator, and a pump shutdown switch, in case it gets clogged. also, look at running a 3/4" line or something larger, then a manifold at the computers to the 2 1/2" lines to make sure that you don't get much flow reduction. also - install the radiators using the same method.

something to consider: large (5 gallon+) reservoir, iwaki pump pushing water from the res to the waterblocks on the computers and back. then have 1 or 2 smaller pumps pushing water from the reservoir through the heatercores. that would remove the restriction of the heatercores from the loop, and it would let the heatercores keep the water cool.

good luck.
 
I think your solving your problem the wrong way. Your best bet is to increase ventilation in that room or buy a portable air conditioner and route that hose.

If you do route it like you plan you will end up getting unconfortable, but just after a slightly longer time.

About your cooling loop, a bigger pump should do the trick, longer tubes = larger frictional resistance = less flow.
 
Geodesix said:
Hello there...

The problem I'm having is that I have two computers in a small room with no windows to open, it's not even the middle of summer and the computer room is COOKING, so much that I don't even want to play for any length of time. I wish to install water cooling on the two systems and I am confident in the choices I've made for the componants but I have a question about a large cooling loop. I don't want to have the watercooling setup in the comp room as I'll have the same problem as I do at the moment, I was hoping to put together an external rad/pump box and route the lines thru the wall into the laundry room where the rad box but that's going to involve upto 20 feet of line one way between the computer and the rad box. Is such a large loop going to cause problems? I plan on using one or two(if needed) MCP600 pumps and three waterblocks, cpu, gpu and chipset passing thru two heatercores, much like the rad box that Cathar built... Any and all insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance for any help offered...

Geodesix

i've never seen cathars box but i've heard about it... does anyone have any links with a pic of it?
 
Thank you all for the quick replies. Just to comment on the idea that it would be just as uncomfortable just after a longer time period, there is a window in the laundry room so at the very least I could open the window and shut the door so that the warmer air would be exahusted outside. There isn't really a whole lot of option(s) available to me when it comes to adding more ventilation or an A/C unit, at least not to that room. I rent and cost would be prohibitive to put a window in, plus even if I did place an a/c unit in the room that would just make more noise then a delta packed case, which is the other reason I wish to watercool. Less noise...

I'm contemplating possibly hooking into the cold air intake for the furnace and having the rad use that as an exahust. I'm in Canada so if I were to get an Iwaki pump it would have to be the North American version. Does anyone know which pump would best suit my needs from the Iwaki line up? Possibly 3-6 waterblocks(3 per comp) 20feet of hose to rad box and dual heatercores, then 20 feet back. Add the possibility of using a manifold of some sort or possibly some "Y" connector(s). I would love to run it all off one pump but I understand if that's not really possible as that's quite a lot to ask of one pump. Thanks again for any and all help you can offer, I hope to hear from you soon...

Geodesix
 
-=iNsAnE=- said:
i've never seen cathars box but i've heard about it... does anyone have any links with a pic of it?

radbox1.jpg


radbox2.jpg


radbox3.jpg


radbox4.jpg


rbox4.jpg
 
i like the last pic:p

on a more related note, if you have any a/c vents in the room where this is going, put the radiators in front of them. i have my heatercore in front of my a/c vent, and it is keeping my chip at 14C while in bios (axp-m @2ghz/1.525 volts) can't check load temps because windows quit working, but linux does :confused:

good luck!
 
In an external box like what is pictured, is it better to have the fans pushing or pulling the air thru the rad?
 
If you want to go as far as getting out of your room... might as well do this...
Get VERY Strong pump. Not the typical stuff for water cooling but it can be a bit noiser big pump. Other than hose and quick disconnects... leave the pump outside. Dig into your lawn at least 2-3ft. (preferably in shady area) Put some kind of piping underneath. Put the grass back on :p
Get a reservoir (some custom made one) right before the quick disconnects. Start filling for... quite some time... :p
Now other than drilling hole through wall, etc...
Cost involved would be pump ($100 or so). Pipe lines ($20 or so). Tubes ($30 or so) + misc.
It should cool better than most customized H2O setup :) If you live in cold area... condensation might be a problem in winter though... :p
 
look into the (w)md-20rl[z] (i think the z is for higher pressure ones, and the 20 is basically the model #, higher is better) by iwaki. that is what cathar had, and for that much tubing you will need more than a few mcp600s.

cathar i thought that box was 1' cube or so in the first shot, but then i scrolled down and saw the two dual 120 rads and pump and your daughter sitting inside... :p a bit bigger than that i suppose
 
Back
Top