Are there high res laptops under a grand?

s00pcan

Limp Gawd
Topic. I really didn't see any at newegg, and I really don't want to even consider one with 1280x800.

I don't blame you - I have a 1680x1050 15.4 and everytime i see a 1280x800 screen I cringe. I know that the dell D800's were offered in higher resolutions - you might be able to snag one of them on ebay or a for sale forum somewhere, maybe even from dell. Same with mine (the nc8430) but I think all the nc's around 1000 are 1280x800.

You might be able to custom build a compal HEL80 - if you go that route you would have to install the components yourself but you'd have much more control of the budget. Asus makes some of these customizable barebones too.

I'm all for building my own if you can point me in the right direction. I have never owned a laptop before, and I will probably be using one for work soon if they don't provide one. High resolution and upgrades are my main requirements, though I'd like to play recent games on it from time to time.

Dells offers some high res screens, you can build the E1705 with a 1920x1200 res screen and could probably get it for a grand or just under, its 149 for the UXGA screen on the 17" model, you should be able to build a E1505 for under a grand with a SXGA screen. Thats if you don't upgrade too many other things. I would probably wanna go with atleast the ATi card in a dell if you go with a high res screen.

Yeah dell seems to be a good choice since you can choose what you get... either that or a fully custom built box.

Back