Are there different NICs and witch one do I get?

mlsbraves

Weaksauce
I have an old Pentium I 133MHz and I'm going to run it as a firewall on my network. I've installed many of network cards before but I have never had a problem installing them. For some reason it doesnt seem to fit. Are there different types of network cards or am I just going crazy over here. I bought the Linksys 10/100 LAN CARD Network Interface Card for Desktop Computers. Minimus Requirements(which of course I didnt read) Pentium Class 200Mhz. Should I be looking for something else? I'm also running Mandrake 9.0 if it makes any difference.

There are some differences, as you would probably expect.

Things to watch for:

1. Support for your OS. Linux support varys from chip to chip. Don't assume your OS is supported.
2. Interface. Do you need PCI or ISA?

I think your CPU should be alright. I haven't heard of any specific problems with CPUs and NICs with regards to system performance. Just make sure that your OS is supported.

Where can I find out if my OS is supported? The linksys card says it runs with all Windsows OS, but I think thats applying to the CD that comes with the package.

Check the Linksys website for your NIC model and see if they have appropriate drivers.

I downloaded the Drivers but it only seems to support Redhat FreeBSD, and Slackware. Mandrake is a popular linux OS I don't see why they wouldnt support it. So if linksys doesnt have a driver for it then I'm out of luck with Mandrake? What other network cards are out there that support Mandrake?

Sorry.. after searching I found this:

The Linksys network card has been tested with Caldera, Debian, Slackware, and SUSE distrubution versions of Linux. If your distribution of Linux supports modules, you will find that the driver setup is relatively quick. If your version of Linux does not support modules, you will need to re-compile the Linux kernel with the proper driver for the Linksys network card. Instructions for both of these methods are described below.

Ill do some more research and write back with my problems

Would it make a difference if I install the NIC before I install the OS or would it be just as easy if I install the OS before I put in the network card? Like if I install the OS while the NIC is installed, would it reconize it and install the drivers for me?

Back