Are there any wireless adaptors that don't blow?

Eagle156

2[H]4U
Every single one I've had, I've had trouble with. All from reputable companies from linksys, netgear. They always have driver trouble, randomly drop connections, perform way slower than their laptop counterparts. Right now I have my crap netbook setup right next to my desktop with a Netgear WN311B, the desktop gets 3.8/2.03Mbps on speedtest, the netbook gets 7.67/6.31. :rolleyes:

Every single one I've had, I've had trouble with. All from reputable companies from linksys, netgear. They always have driver trouble, randomly drop connections, perform way slower than their laptop counterparts. Right now I have my crap netbook setup right next to my desktop with a Netgear WN311B, the desktop gets 3.8/2.03Mbps on speedtest, the netbook gets 7.67/6.31. :rolleyes:

I just about lost my sanity trying to get several to work for my dad... he's 72 and his PC is on the other side of the house from the wireless router. Signal was fine but every week or two he'd be calling me because the adapter dropped out. I'd have to fiddle around with the drivers or reboot the router to get it to come back up. My brother's smartphone however never had any issues.

In any case I just switched him over to a Homeplug adapter... that was like 4 years ago and it's been problem-free ever since.

I just about lost my sanity trying to get several to work for my dad... he's 72 and his PC is on the other side of the house from the wireless router. Signal was fine but every week or two he'd be calling me because the adapter dropped out. I'd have to fiddle around with the drivers or reboot the router to get it to come back up. My brother's smartphone however never had any issues.

In any case I just switched him over to a Homeplug adapter... that was like 4 years ago and it's been problem-free ever since.

Perfect solution, USB wireless SUCKS!! People expect o much from them..

I got a refurbed basic old Linksys cheapo for free with a $20 router, it's been solid as a rock and it's in the other part of a duplex so it's quite a distance away. Constant 2-3 bars, never dropped in 2 years.

It's on my MIL's computer so I didn't care to test it's speed but it Netflix's just fine.

I think it's the older model of this.

Guess I got lucky.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If you want wireless for a desktop, either get a router and turn it into a bridge or get a bridge.

I have an Asus PCIe N-card in my tower. Work like a charm, only catch is it runs in 150megabit mode and not 300...don;t care as my ISP is crap and only gets 6megabit. Had a USB N-dongle from Netgear, damn thing usually didn't resume from sleep right.

No don't get a bridge, that halves your wireless speed and no, dont get a usb dongle. The correct answer for both laptops and desktops wanting to use wireless is the Intel 6300 card. /endthread

I also bought a USB wireless adapter from Monoprice.

It's rated at 300Mbs, but I only get 72. Not a huge deal, and it doesn't drop its connection.

No don't get a bridge, that halves your wireless speed

A Bridge does NOT halve your wireless bandwidth. An Expander/repeater/etc does that, by listening to all wireless traffic and rebroadcasting. A bridge is a client on the Wireless network that marries its wireless connection to a hard line network connection and is typically the absolute best solution for a desktop.

Every single one I've had, I've had trouble with. All from reputable companies from linksys, netgear. They always have driver trouble, randomly drop connections, perform way slower than their laptop counterparts.

You know that you can use laptop wireless cards on desktop computers without any issue right?

Get this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330715586187

and

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261025332071

You end up with one of the best wireless adapters available and pay what, $15 total?

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
used netgear usb adapter, sucks!!!!!! always stopped working and had to be rekindled somehow.

I gave up on wireless adapters last year after going through the same frustrating issues you have. I switched over to HomePlug adapters and haven't looked back.

I'm an instant convert. Ordered the TRENDnet 200mbps powerline adapters yesterday, got them today, and couldnt be happier. F' wireless.

At work we're a small shop, and when we switched offices it didnt have Cat5 ran to the different rooms. Had I really known about these then i would have said screw it and just used these instead.

Linksys, Netgear, Belkin, etc. All of those names are irrelevant. What matters is the chipset that particular vendor or model uses.

What are the best? Heck, I don't know. I used to know many, many years ago. I think Intel is always good, Cisco, and maybe Atheros IIRC. These days I don't know, but all those vendors use the same 4 or 5 companies anyway. Find out which is the best one, then buy the appropriate model from Linksys/Netgear/Belkin which uses it.

I'm an instant convert. Ordered the TRENDnet 200mbps powerline adapters yesterday, got them today, and couldnt be happier. F' wireless.

At work we're a small shop, and when we switched offices it didnt have Cat5 ran to the different rooms. Had I really known about these then i would have said screw it and just used these instead.

Yep, they won me over years ago. I'll only ever use wireless for mobile devices and laptops; using a powerline adapter saves having to run cable or deal with encryption, channel, signal and adapter issues.

You know that you can use laptop wireless cards on desktop computers without any issue right?

Get this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330715586187

and

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261025332071

You end up with one of the best wireless adapters available and pay what, $15 total?

I got the adapter and the card. Not sure how to connect the notebook card to the adapter. There isn't a pcie port on the adapter. I've connected just the antennas but I doubt that's everything... Any help appreciated!

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Not trying to steal the thread but I just pulled an Asus 802.11n adapter (PCE-NI3) from one of my desktops that is about to become an ESXi whitebox. Message me if you are interested...

I got the adapter and the card. Not sure how to connect the notebook card to the adapter. There isn't a pcie port on the adapter. I've connected just the antennas but I doubt that's everything... Any help appreciated!

You have to remove the metal thing first, the socket should be underneath.

Back