Are there any special considerations to take when connecting a switch to another?

smartins

n00b
I'm gearing up to modify my current network configuration and I have a question regarding having 2 (or more) switches on the same network.

Here's the setup I'm considering:

Internet -> Firewall/Router (smoothwall perhaps) ->
-> Gigabit switch -> 3 computers
\ -> Gigabit switch -> xbox, backup device via ethernet​

Would there be any drawbacks by having two (or more) switches connected with each other and is there anything I should take special attention to when buying the switches? The "main" one will probably be 8 ports and the second one 4 or 5 ports.
I'll also be adding a NAS (with gigabit ethernet) to the main switch but it might in the future be moved to the second switch.

Thanks!

Not necessarily..most configurations will work...you generally want to avoid daisy chaining too many times...meaning..don't uplink a switch into another switch into yet another switch into yet another another switch...

If building a stack of switches...it's optimal, IMO, to follow somewhat of a pyramid scheme...have your best switch up top. With servers and heavy devices plugged into it..and your router. From there...have an uplink to other switches. So each additional switch only uplinks into your top switch.

Not necessarily..most configurations will work...you generally want to avoid daisy chaining too many times...meaning..don't uplink a switch into another switch into yet another switch into yet another another switch...

If building a stack of switches...it's optimal, IMO, to follow somewhat of a pyramid scheme...have your best switch up top. With servers and heavy devices plugged into it..and your router. From there...have an uplink to other switches. So each additional switch only uplinks into your top switch.

Thanks!

Back