• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Are there any software based surround decoders?

tenor39

n00b
Joined
Dec 4, 2005
Messages
7
I have 3 Digital Audio Labs cards in my computer/DAW that give me 6 channels of audio. It seems, however, that I must use an external processor to have either DTS or Dolby Digital encoded soundtracks. This is non-sensical to me and requires extra hardware. Do none of the DVD programs decode the surround tracks for output to internal sound cards?
 
PowerDVD / WinDVD will decode for you, as will AC3Filter, which is a DirectShow filter plugin.
 
So Power DVD will send L/C/R/LS/RS/LFE to the appropriate channels of my DAL cards? I thought you had to have a hardware decoder running off of the SPDIF out.
 
Let me see if I am reading you right:

You have three sound cards in your PC?

You are using each one for two channels each for a total of 6 channels?

You want a software decoder to route the seperate channels individually to the individual inputs of each sound card?

I would think you would have to do some driver trickery.
 
Hmm, I think I missed that. 3 seperate cards introduce some problems, since the software will only address 1 soundcard at a time.
 
These are high-end cards for my Mastering suite. I guess I'll have to e-mail Cyberlink to find out.
 
Back
Top