• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Are there any pin compatible different architectures?

niffcreature

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 2, 2010
Messages
143
Hey.
I'm wondering if anyone knows any 2 architectures of GPU chipsets that are pin compatible. Of course they don't have pins as they are BGAs...
Meaning, I know what PCI-E is. ;)

But for example, g92 and g94... Just guessing, these aren't compatible because g94 chips are usually mounted at a 45 degree angle. I know g92a and g92b are compatible, as well as chips with a different number of shaders like the gtx 260 gt200 core 192 and 216.

I'm especially interested in some of the AMD ATI series as something makes me think they would in fact do this, obviously Nvidia architectures have changed WAY more than ATI ones. Also I don't know a lot about their cards.

Anybody know something about this?

Thanks. :D
 
I could be wrong and my memory may fail me but I believe Barts 6800 series was pin compatible to the Cypress 5800 series.
 
Thanks for the reply. Those are architectures I don't know much about (cypress is not part of the mobile sector)

Heres a thought, what about rv730 and rv740?

And, I realize even with pin compatibility there may be other issues and resistor straps necessary. Specifically I'm wondering abour vRAM here, as I know gddr5 and gddr3 are compatible. Anyone tried to upgrade vRAM before by reball?

There are some Toshiba video cards which all appear to be on the same PCB. Some of them are 4570, some 4670, some Nvidia gt 230m, 240m, and 130m. And I think the vRAM here is actually JEDEC ddr3, not that I know exactly what that means as opposed to gddr3.
Some of the boards have 8 vram chips and some have 1 or 2, with empty spaces for all the others.

I wonder how they could be manufacturing all their cards on the same board like this?
 
Back
Top