Are there ANY good "modern-themed" team-based shooters today that are like what Counter Strike Source used to be (other than CS: GO)?

zamardii12

2[H]4U
I haven't played a good team-based multiplayer shooter in a very long time. CSS was the last one I played and I was really good and competitive at the time... I was in the beta and then our clan had our own server and everything... I also played a lot of UT2K4 but that was just against the bots which in my mind was still just as satisfying and fun.

So anyway now as a dude in my 30s and married with responsibilities my time to play has dwindled, but I was recalling with a old friend the "glory days" of CSS and UT2K4 and I was saying how great it would be if they just remade UT2K4 the way it was and released it.

So anyway after some thought I had purchased COD: Modern Warfare and Cold War. I always bought the COD games usually because of the campaign, but since COD is so damn popular I figured I'd get these for the multiplayer...

Well needless to say after a couple hours of playing what is essentially team deathmatch I was ALMOST ready to throw my entire PC out the window. There is just something... wrong with it... it's as if the developers made the game... "easy" for lack of a better word. EVERY map is full of campers and not only that but the maps have areas that are just straight killzones... sometimes I think the entire map is a killzone. Like anywhere I step to there are 30 different directions I can be ganged-up on... there is no sense of strategy in this game and it is incredibly infuriating.

It's like I felt as though the game isn't even meant to be played, but just people play it to rack up kills with no strategy involved... It's like the maps were designed for kids and "newbs."

Anyway I don't want to turn this into a rant about COD multiplayer, but suffice it to say it sucks and I want to have a game that I can load up and get into a match with a group of dudes in a CS:S Dust or Dust 2-like setting and have fun and play a couple rounds.

I want to also add that I play games to relax, and even back in the older CS days I never ever ever raged the way I did the other night while playing COD: Modern Warfare... I don't want to stress and be angry while playing. I just want to have a good time.

Valorant is probably the closest, but it has a fantastical element to it that turns it into more of a hero shooter. The gameplay is very much like Counter-Strike, though.

I've been a CS player since 1999 beta and still haven't tried CS:GO. But from 2005-2008, CSS on HL2 engine was probably my favorite multiplayer shooter of all time.
After that time period, there we're better multiplayer shooters like BF:BC2 and BF3, so I was never really interested in the franchise anymore.

Looking back, I should have at least tried CS:GO because it was my type of game and I regret not giving it a chance.

I have pretty much all the COD games on Steam and only play single player campaign's with that franchise.
Gameplay in multiplayer is so bad for the franchise, that I didn't even want to touch it just from past experience.

Bring back good multiplayer gameplay we enjoyed back then because the new stuff just ain't cutting it.
Heck, even Raven Shield 2003 has better 8v8 multiplayer team gameplay compared to the COD games we see today.

BFV just ain't cutting it for me. Never did like it, so I just play BF1 now. Still a great game from 2016.

The ARMA series is pretty good, but from my experience, it's only team gameplay vs A.I. I want real combat vs real human players.

IMHO as an aging gamer myself.... It's not the games, it's the having a life and not playing enough to be good.

You need to play a decent amount to memorize the maps, cover, shooting lanes, spawn locations, common camp locations, etc. Things we used to just pick up while dumping dozen or hundreds of hours into a game. This is made worse when playing a well established title that everyone you are against has already poured a bunch of time into. I'm willing to bet if you sink 100 hours into the game you will improve dramatically.

I went through a similar struggle myself. I used to be top of any server I hoped into, now I just shoot for a positive KD lol. When I took the time to grind out Black Ops III I found I was slowly but surely able to overcome all of your same complaints. At the end of the day though it wasn't worth it, I'm just not willing to make that time commitment in every (or any) game I play. It doesn't help that as we age our reflexes slow, it really is an uphill battle to stay competitive.

If you want a reasonable shot, wait until the next big title launches and pick it up on launch day. Then you will be learning with everyone else.

IMHO as an aging gamer myself.... It's not the games, it's the having a life and not playing enough to be good.

You need to play a decent amount to memorize the maps, cover, shooting lanes, spawn locations, common camp locations, etc. Things we used to just pick up while dumping dozen or hundreds of hours into a game. This is made worse when playing a well established title that everyone you are against has already poured a bunch of time into. I'm willing to bet if you sink 100 hours into the game you will improve dramatically.

I went through a similar struggle myself. I used to be top of any server I hoped into, now I just shoot for a positive KD lol. When I took the time to grind out Black Ops III I found I was slowly but surely able to overcome all of your same complaints. At the end of the day though it wasn't worth it, I'm just not willing to make that time commitment in every (or any) game I play. It doesn't help that as we age our reflexes slow, it really is an uphill battle to stay competitive.

If you want a reasonable shot, wait until the next big title launches and pick it up on launch day. Then you will be learning with everyone else.

Sandstorm insurgency you have game modes like Co-OP going against bots it's fun.

Rainbow Six Seige is awesome too you don't really need to be good at that game when you first start out.
I just picked the game up last year with Year 5 expansion.

Destiny 2 in the crucible isn't very serious it's pretty fun and forgiving.

Sandstorm insurgency you have game modes like Co-OP going against bots it's fun.
I was a little late on playing this game, but it turned out better than I expected. Only played a couple round's but it has some nice elements for team gameplay.
Might try it again after I beat Rise of the Tomb Raider.

EVERY map is full of campers and not only that but the maps have areas that are just straight killzones...

Have you never played DE_Dust or DE_Dust2? Try running under the overpass and see how it works for you. The Modern Warfare maps are more open and there are more angles to get killed from so you have to be aware of your surroundings more. But there are some maps which are very fast paced in TDM like Shipment and Rust. Those are all about fast reflexes. In a way, similar to UT games but with a modern setting. Obviously, no double jump and the like, but similar in that it is fast and reflex based.

LET"S PLAY NAO!

I've got several beers in my system and I'm ready to rock and roll - You can find me on Steam, I'm not too hard to find there... Look up... "Jon855"

I'm in my late 30s and recently played thru Doom Eternal on the hardest difficulty...and it significantly helped me improved my performance in multiplayer games. Recently, I've been playing the new 3v3 mode in Apex and have doing very well.

I think it's because after playing Doom, all other games feel "slow", which goes in your favor.

Back