Are there any good free or really cheap PC games?

Signal

Limp Gawd
Long story short, my roommate here at college doesn't respect any of my stuff so I don't have any of my consoles (Wii/360/Xbox/PS2) here because I like to keep everything in great condition :(. So I was thinking about getting a few PC games to keep me busy. I have Half-Life, Starcraft & Brood War, and The Sims but I've played them all to death.

So are there any good free or really cheap (at most $20 if it's a long game, preferably $10 or less) PC games? I'd prefer something that I can use a controller with as I'm primarily a console guy, and recommendations on a nice cheap controller would be great too.

As for the genre... action, adventure, RPG, sports (football), anything along those lines would be the best but I'll try anything if it's free. My laptop specs are: 1.6GHz Pentium M, 512MB RAM, ATI Radeon 9700.

Thanks!

I usually go to EB games and checkout the used games section and read the required specs, some end up crap some games end up a 5$ gem.

Some lower end games I liked

Planescape torment, great RPG pretty old
Mechwarrior 3, Unfortunetly 4 sucks
Morrowind, you might be able to handle it on low-med settings, obviously great game
The Grand theft auto series games
Counter strike 1.6 is cheap

All i can think of for now, most could be found in the bargain bin with some luck, CS is 9$ on steam i think

war rock (www.warrock.net) is a fun, free little fps in the vein of bf2 ans cs. its lots of fun and since its in beta, it'll be completely free up until february!! of course, that also means there are bugs and inconsistencies, but most of the big ones have been fixed.

Nate_MachV said:
Too bad Penumbra is a TECH DEMO - and Penumbra: Overture is the full and will cost money :rolleyes:
Yeah, I just noticed that. They originally made this out to be a full game, but apparently the current download is just one episode.

i hear beating your roomate in his sleep with a sock full of pennies returns many hours of fun for very little up front cost.

First, shop at www.gogamer.com They tend to sell games quite cheaply, and stock older ones for a long time at low prices.

Psychonauts
Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay

These shouldn't be over $10-15

There are some nice games on Steam (like Darwinia.)

There is a ton of good free stuff floating around. (though it's usually retro type stuff)

Rolling Madness
Grid Wars (this one has been taken down, but you may be able to find it somewhere)
GLTron is nice

Check out www.retroremakes.com for a lot of this type of thing.

Emulation is your friend, but it seems to be a touchy subject around here, so take a look around for retrogaming and emulation.

America's Army, it's free and a ton of fun (although it's biiiiiiiiiig! 2.5+ GB download now I believe)

FlatOut can be had for less than $20 shipped. Probably less in stores if you can find it.

It's a fun, fairly simple racing game with excellent graphics/sound and a very complex damage model for the cars and environment.

EDIT: Madden 04 can be had for like $5 on Ebay. That was one of the better Maddens for the PC.

I would recomend Unreal 2004, and BF 1942. Both should run well on your laptop, they're cheap now, and there's tons of mods for them. Unreal makes a nice laptop game, because once you install the latest patch you don't need the DVD to play.

free: Starsiege:Tribes - wicked high learning curve.

cheap (relatively) Guild Wars (any expansion)

great value: command and conquer: the first decade... all the C&C games for like 40 bucks

J3RK said:
First, shop at www.gogamer.com They tend to sell games quite cheaply, and stock older ones for a long time at low prices.

Psychonauts
Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay

These shouldn't be over $10-15

There are some nice games on Steam (like Darwinia.)

There is a ton of good free stuff floating around. (though it's usually retro type stuff)

Rolling Madness
Grid Wars (this one has been taken down, but you may be able to find it somewhere)
GLTron is nice

Check out www.retroremakes.com for a lot of this type of thing.

Emulation is your friend, but it seems to be a touchy subject around here, so take a look around for retrogaming and emulation.

For some reason I missed your system specs when reading the post quickly. (at work) Psychonauts and Riddick will run, but not near maximum detail.

I'm not going to read this entire thread.
I'm just going to ask.....
Dude, have you not heard about AMERICA'S ARMY????
Its only like one of the premier FPS titles out there.....AND ITS FREE!!!! :p
go to americasarmy.com and get it!!

PoweredBySoy said:
I have a better idea... put the boot down on your disrespecting roommate.

my thoughts exactly.. there are ways of getting people to do what you want, it takes confidence and assertiveness and a good swift kick in the nads ;)

Other few games (not high on the graphics) but fun to play with a bunch of guys.

BZFlag
http://www.bzflag.org/

and

Scorched 3d
http://www.scorched3d.co.uk/

Fairly simple games, however can be addictive. And they are completely FREE

Oh forgot to mention both of those games are also available on Windows, OSX, or Linux. And have very low system requirements.

Cheap 10 dollars games at wal mart

Command and Conquer Generals

EA'S 2006 sports lineup

UT 2004

Far Cry (I think you can buy it in the jewel case)

And I am sure you will find plenty more.

Hey guys, thanks so much for all of the suggestions! I'm going to try out Americas Army first and then a few of the other suggestions.

On a side note, I fixed the roommate problem. Long story short, apartment manager offered me the chance at a nicer apartment at lower rent, so she let me remove myself from the previous lease (without a fee since I stayed with the same complex) and he's stuck with full financial responsibility on an apartment that he couldn't even make his half of the rent for. I guess it will just work itself out.

I missed the PC Gaming subforum, and my thread was moved here. I guess that's why I missed the sticky.

Sorry about that.

Try the Unreal anthology :). 5 games for $30, and they should last you a while.

Psychonauts is an amazing game!!!! You can get it on steam for around 20 bux. This is one of the best games i have ever played. If you like off beat humor and a insanely unique story, then you got to check this game out

Definitely get Deus Ex.

You could also get Escape From Butcher Bay pretty cheap as well.

red orchestra through steam for $18... wwwwaaaayyyy better than cod etc if you like ww2 multiplayer shooters with a dose of realism.

for you i'd look into one of the free lineage 2 servers maybe or knight online.

ep1taph said:
I can't believe no one has mentioned, arguably, the best free FPS game of all time. It was free upon release and is still free now. Originally slated to be a sequel to Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory

http://games.activision.com/games/wolfenstein/

Go to the wolfenstein tab.

Speaking of which....om freakin gawd hello????? FEAR multiplayer!!! Its the mp component of FEAR AND ITS FREAKIN F R E E E EEEEEE E E E !!! :p :D

Planescape Torment
Fallout Series
Baldur's Gate Series
Thief I & II if you can find them.

I'd say just install Steam and browse through their cheap games. A lot of them have demos for you to try. They've got Psychonauts, Darwinia, Rag Doll Kung Fu, Roboblitz, and a million Pop Cap games.

ep1taph said:
I can't believe no one has mentioned, arguably, the best free FPS game of all time. It was free upon release and is still free now. Originally slated to be a sequel to Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory

http://games.activision.com/games/wolfenstein/

Go to the wolfenstein tab.

I agree! Super fun game. I played this sucker until I was blue in the face :eek: and then played it some more.

Back