Are there any expresscard 802.11x adapters around?

Whitedude

Limp Gawd
Hey guys-
I have a MBP, and I am disappointed with the airport reception quality. However, apple says that the extension port is a express card setup. Is that the same as PCMCIA, or do I need to get a special wifi expresscard?

If you mean buy a SECOND card in hopes of increasing your reception, here's the thing:

PCMCIA is not ExpressCard. Rather, ExpressCard is the new, improved format of laptop add-in cards.

I believe Macbook Pro only has ExpressCard, and no PCMCIA. Hence, if you want to buy another adapter, look for ExpressCard ones.

But beware. They will have nasty portruding antennas that will make your MacBook look like it's evolved a tumor. And reception won't be worth the hassle, as it's no better than the stock card's.

Check power settings for your integrated card; if it's running in low power, it may have belittled its reception.

Disable the AirPort card, shut down the computer, unplug the AirPort card, clear the PRam, plug the card back in, restart the computer. I did that and it seemed to help the reception on my PowerBook.

Back