Are there any 12.1" laptops with good video?

gunnm74

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey, folks--

I've got one laptop which is pretty big (15.4 widescreen) and it's definitely pretty heavy. I'm looking for a small laptop (14.1 is still too big) as a slightly more portable model. So, I've been to a number of manufacturer's web sites looking at 12.1" models and they've all had an Intel Extreme graphics chip with shared memory (up to 64mb! blah). The only laptop of that size with a good video card is the Powerbook 12" w/ a GeForce FX 5200 Go w/ 64mb dedicated memory.

I can't say that the idea of owning a Mac is unappealing but they are certainly a bit expensive. Plus, all my software is PC (of course). I'm not keen on migrating the important stuff over.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

The Sony S200 has a 13.3in screen and an option for a Radeon 9700, though its bloody expensive

Asian Fury said:
The Sony S200 has a 13.3in screen and an option for a Radeon 9700, though its bloody expensive

I own a Sony Vaio V505EX with a 12 inch screen and the ATI 9200. Its not the best video card and it can't run 3dmark05, but it plays all my games good enough; including NFSU and Doom 3.

x31 by ibm has a rad 7000

I believe there's a tablet PC from Toshiba that has a 5200 in it.

I'm facing the same decision right now.I'm actually considering a Powerbook... seems to be a pretty good option right now.

the powerbook seems a lot cheaper than any 12" pc laptop, no brainer imho.

You have to love the screwed up logic of most x86 laptop makers... the screen size is smaller, so you pay more?

Anyways, probably the one 12" laptop with semi-fast video is the 12" PowerBook (with a 64 MB FX 5200 Go). The CPU isn't hot, but no amount of CPU performance can make up for the sheer filth of shared-memory video chipsets that dominate x86 12" laptops. ;)

Besides, the 12" PowerBook has DVI-out - how many other 12" laptops can hook up directly to an LCD display at full quality?

And how many powerbooks do you see coming without Mac OS ? :<

I'll buy a powerbook the minute apple adopt an x86 CPU :p

The powerbook is nice. But the ibook has a better gfx - 9200. I wish it was the other way around :p

Aurelius said:
You have to love the screwed up logic of most x86 laptop makers... the screen size is smaller, so you pay more?

Typically, there's more to it than that.

the 12.1" laptops are made for light weight and portability. They tend to be made w/ more metal construction than plastic (except for the Averatecs)...and have to be designed better than the big, bulky low-end bargain laptops.

NecessaryEvil said:
Typically, there's more to it than that.

the 12.1" laptops are made for light weight and portability. They tend to be made w/ more metal construction than plastic (except for the Averatecs)...and have to be designed better than the big, bulky low-end bargain laptops.

I agree with this. Newer, smaller, technology usually costs more.
I've got the Sony Vaio V505EX (as said above), I can get a 4 hour life out of it.
Intel mobile 1.5 with centrino tech.
intel wireless 2200bg
60gb harddrive
cdrw/dvd drive
512mb pc2700 ram
ATI 9200

Its a great laptop. I used it to play some NFSU while I waited in line on black friday. A lot of people were watching and listening to it.

My Toshiba M200 has a 32mb GeforceFX 5200. Not the greatest but it gets the job done for me.

Are you looking for good dvd or gaming. The latest extream graphics is fabulous for dvd , at least on my new Dell 700m.

Needless to say , gaming is out of the question.

jacuzz1 said:
Are you looking for good dvd or gaming. The latest extream graphics is fabulous for dvd , at least on my new Dell 700m.

Needless to say , gaming is out of the question.

Why is gaming out of the question?

My 12" screen with an ATI 9200 can play doom 3 at 800x600 with fps in the 30s, same thing for NFSU.

MeanieMan said:
Why is gaming out of the question?

My 12" screen with an ATI 9200 can play doom 3 at 800x600 with fps in the 30s, same thing for NFSU.

I should have been more specific. Gaming is out of the question as it relates to settings i am used to playing at on my desk top. I stand corrected

ycchan said:
The powerbook is nice. But the ibook has a better gfx - 9200. I wish it was the other way around :p

Since when is a Radeon 9200 better than a Geforce FX 5200? Especially considering you can't get more than 32mb video memory in an iBook. All Powerbooks have 64mb video memory, too.

Back