Are the PS2 minis better than the first generation?

mokkapoop

[H]ard|Gawd
I was in best buy the other day. I noticed a PS2 that was maybe 1/3 the size of the one I have. Now, I know there is a SLIM version, but this one seems to be smaller than that. I am considering taking my PS2 and selling it at gamestop. Then I want to go and buy the mini one I saw. The question is this. With every revision of the PS2, they have always had hardware upgrades. Is there anything better with this one?

As far as I know, the only advantages it has over the older models is its size, built-in ethernet, and progressive scan. The lasers are considerably cheaper as well; since production of new lasers for the older models seems to have slowed down a bit.

My slim PS2 runs great and has never had any problems. The only disadvantage to the new PS2s is that you can't use a hard drive with them. But then again, unless you play FF XI, you'll never need one of the damned things. They're about the size of two game cases stacked together.

I've had both. The Slim PS2 is soooo small you will not believe it until you see it. I love it, DVD PQ is better on HDTV than the previous one, so much so that I use it as my primary DVD player now.

Wondernerd said:
I read somewhere that it doesn't play PS2 games very well.

Let's see... The Slim PS2 does not play PS2 games. Ok.

The new silver slim PS2 in Japan had an issue with a few games. The US Black Slim PS2 have no issues.

i bought one just for college, MUCH less space, and works just as well.. i have no need for a hard drive anyways

and built in network adapter

PerfectCr said:
Let's see... The Slim PS2 does not play PS2 games. Ok.

The new silver slim PS2 in Japan had an issue with a few games. The US Black Slim PS2 have no issues.

Why get snarky when you confirm what I said? A PS2 has problems playing PS2 games. I've not had the problem show up with mine, but I don't play it all that often.

I wonder what would happen if the Gameboy Advance SP wasn't able to play all Gameboy Advance games.

Wondernerd said:
Why get snarky when you confirm what I said? A PS2 has problems playing PS2 games. I've not had the problem show up with mine, but I don't play it all that often.

I wonder what would happen if the Gameboy Advance SP wasn't able to play all Gameboy Advance games.
Because you were referring to the normal PS2 Slim. Anytime you deal with technology any issue can come up. Are you some anti-Sony fann boy? Give it up.

PerfectCr said:
Because you were referring to the normal PS2 Slim. Anytime you deal with technology any issue can come up. Are you some anti-Sony fann boy? Give it up.

Down Fido Down!

Give the guy a break, he was merely mentioning that he heard somewhere that the slim PS2 was having problems. He merely wasn't fully informed and you corrected that, no need to make it personal.

Meh, I've owned 3 originals and a slim Ps2 now. Never had a problem with any of them.(I bought/sold the first 3 for reasons unrelated). My daughter uses the slim MUCH more than I do and she leaves the thing on for days at a time. No problems thus far and we've had it since January.

Only problem I've encountered is it wouldn't recognize the memory card while playing a PS1 game, one of the Scooby Doo's. :confused:

PerfectCr said:
Are you some anti-Sony fann boy? Give it up.

I see a headline that says "New PSTwo Revision Incompatible with Older Titles'. Somebody asks about it and I say "I read somewhere the newest PS2 is incompatible with Older Titles".

And because I dared to say something that could possibly be negative, I am a rabid anti-fan sitting naked in a pile of Jell-O carving Sony Sucks into my arm with a sharp fragment of a Metal Gear Solid 2 DVD.

I never owned the original PS2 but picked up my PSTwo back during tax returns :) The DVD playback is good, Built in network adapter, Built in IR sensor, and it has almost played all PS1 titles I own. Many of the older 2D games won't work like Road Rash, 2Xtreme and so on. All my PS2 titles have worked fine.

I picked up a remote from datel for 10$ that has programming for like 6 devices (TV/SAT/VCR/DVD/CBL etc..) Not shoving out another 40$ for the Sony network adapter is a bonus!

And you can always get a External USB Hard Drive to work with the system, You can turn your IDE Hard drive and a 25$ usb kit from www.newegg.com , and the USB Extreme for "BACKING UP" your titles for faster load times, they say you can hook up to 200GB drive so thats can be alot of storage!!

The only thing have seen a problem with them was the early ones from last december have faulty power supplies that can overheat and explode or catch fire. Mine from around last April is fine.

USB Extreme is still no subsitute for HDLoader though, but it's nice to have that option.

heatsinker said:
USB Extreme is still no subsitute for HDLoader though, but it's nice to have that option.

Everything i've read shows HDLoader doesn't work right with the PSTwo, maybe you can enlighten me with knowledge of this? I don't own either but USB Extreme looks like the one to own if you have a PSTwo. I'm thinking of getting that USB IDE kit from newegg for my 40Gb and buying something that back ups my titles, loading times suck!

No no, I meant it's still not quite as far along as HDLoader for the big PS2s. I didn't even know you could use HDL with USB.

Yeah, re-reading the description tells you that it doesn't work with the Slimlime PSTwo, but needs a network adapter and the PS2. I thought you might of had some insight that this worked with the PSTwo. So as far as I see, USB Extreme is the only thing that will back up titles with a USB External HD

hdloader with hd in reg ps2. great when playing gta and the likes. quick load times.

pr0pensity said:
Are they under $100 now?

Not even close, Walmart will be selling the PS2 for 149$ on Black Friday, thats as low as a (new) one has been yet (I believe) (in retail).

Hi, I can vouch for the slimline PS2, I have had one for awhile now and it plays all my games just great. No issues at all playing anything I own with it, lately I have been playing older PS1 games with it like final fantasy 7 and Chrono trigger, as well as newer titles like Metal gear solid 3 and Gran turismo 4.

One thing that sucks for me, there was a recall here awhile ago put out by Sony Entertainment for the AC power adaptors that came with some of these slimline PS'2's. Specific models adaptors were apparently overheating and could cause fires. It was only for certain models, the SCPH-70011 and SCPH700-12 manufactured between august-december 2004.

I happen to have one these that are subject to this recall, but, I haven't replaced it yet as my adaptor doesn't really get very hot while it is on. I am paranoid about it so I constantly check it and never gets more than lukewarm to the touch but who knows that could change at anytime.

I don't know what odds anyone has of getting one brand-new off the shelf are currently but Its something everyone should be aware of I guess.

Here's a couple links to what I am referring to: Playstation site, Consumer product safety site

I got one from work recently. Haven't been able to try it out yet (missing some crucial things in order to operate ....) but the thing is unbelievably small.

Is it true you can use a flash USB memory stick for these? Beats having to shell out cash for a proprietary 26meg or whatever PS2 memory card.

Wondernerd said:
I see a headline that says "New PSTwo Revision Incompatible with Older Titles'. Somebody asks about it and I say "I read somewhere the newest PS2 is incompatible with Older Titles".

And because I dared to say something that could possibly be negative, I am a rabid anti-fan sitting naked in a pile of Jell-O carving Sony Sucks into my arm with a sharp fragment of a Metal Gear Solid 2 DVD.

LMAO! I got the most hilarious visual from that quote. And, agreed, that guy needs to settle himself down and quit taking legitimate questions as "fightin' words"

mrgulabull said:
LMAO! I got the most hilarious visual from that quote. And, agreed, that guy needs to settle himself down and quit taking legitimate questions as "fightin' words"

With all the rapid children running rampant on these boards it is not really a stretch. In any event it looks like this dude is not a crazed Sonyite. ;)

PerfectCr said:

Chill?

Back