are the newer xbox360s any better?

o0akoni0o

[H]ard|Gawd
are the newer models any better in terms of reliability? i had a launch unit a couple years ago which failed on me. got a refurb which has been doing fine, but now its starting to go bad. no rrod or anything, games just tend to get disc errors or the screen goes blank more often than usual. i'd rather not go through the whole warranty process with ms again only to end up with another refurb. so basically i'm thinking about buying the arcade version (if they're better) and just swapping over my hd and what not? any thoughts?

All purely anecdotal of course, but here's some figures taken from NeoGAF's dead 360 thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9746981&postcount=7487

Interestingly... it looks like MS might be releasing a new SKU soon (Amazon Product Pages):

Pro Value Discontinued by Manufacturer: Yes
Arcade Bundle Discontinued by Manufacturer: Yes
20GB with HDMI Discontinued by Manufacturer: Yes
Elite with 120GB drive Discontinued by Manufacturer: Yes
Elite bundle Discontinued by Manufacturer: Yes
Core Discontinued by Manufacturer: Yes

360 with 20GB, Family Fun Bundle, and Halo 3 edition are the only ones not showing that.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I don't know...but I've got an old one that just passed the year mark last month and it hasn't missed a beat.;)

I don't know...but I've got an old one that just passed the year mark last month and it hasn't missed a beat.;)

Seriously, your asking for it. Everytime someone says something like that, the next week its "omg, I just RROD, what about you?" thread appears. Just saying... :p

At this point I can't even buy all the games I want for my PC(also wanting to upgrade this thing) or PS3, and most games seem to be going multi-plat (at least the amount of games my budget allows to buy in 1 given period of time) so I think its safe to say I might skip out on the 360 this gen.

Next big purchase for me is going to be a foosball table ;)

same mine past a year mark recently, and its fine.... if it RROD I hope it happens soon ... unless they give me a whoel new XBOX360 when I send it in later... as long as I'm not out of warranty. The sooner the better, and the one I get back better not RROD ... I'd be pissed.

I went through 4 of hte early 360's, which were total junk, then I got off the train and waited until the new HDMI/65nm versions came out and jumped back in, and I couldn't be happier with it. Well, maybe if it were a little less ugly, but aside from Wii all the current gen consoles are ugly, so I guess that's life ;) At least they aren't *all three* ugly like last gen! Maybe next round we'll see 2 out of 3 machines looking nice :)

One thing you will notice is that people who are going to buy a newer console will tell you that the newer ones are going to be better, for obvious reasons, and the person with the old console is gonna say its untrue.

Well, its both, however some people are makin it out more then it is. The newer models will have better cooling, so its POSSIBLE that they will be more reliable. This is all chance though. A newer console does not perform better, get better FPS, have better specs, or any of that when compared to the older version. The version I have is relatively new but not the newest. Its got HDMI built in, but not the best cooling. many people still have launch consoles that work fine. I hear the newer versions are going to have HD-DVD players built in though, which will be better.

In terms of reliability, it seems as if the newer ones are more reliable.

(I own an older one. Maybe I'll RROD and get a newer mobo later on.)

Isn't it too early to tell?
Not really. People are ready to jump all over MS for the falcon models failing... and the normal 360s starting getting RRoD pretty much from launch. But sure, another couple of months and we should be pretty certain one way or another.

I hear the newer versions are going to have HD-DVD players built in though, which will be better.
No, just no.

the newer ones run on a 65nm cpu, so they cause less heat inside the xbox, but it still doesn't help the fact that the board (due to crap solder and bad designing) flexes and will inevitably cause 3Rlod. Overall, they're a bit more reliable, but with hd-dvd dying off, I don't see a better time to buy a ps3 than now (or soon) :D

Nope, up to date 360's still use x-clamps (which is only part of the problem keep in mind)

there's definitely no hard proof yet the newer 360's are any more reliable. Even though it would make sense that they would be, i don't think enough time has passed to know for sure one way or the other. Absolutely, the newest 360's are still rrod'ing to some degree.

Beats me I just got a used 360 from them the manager said he has a local tech guy handle all of them and turn around is 2-3days. If I ever have the issue I will be sure to ask when I get mine fixed lol

My launch 360 RROD'd last month and from what I have read it sounds like I am getting a new one back, though I won't know until the silly thing actually leaves Texas. I guess FedEx crosses the state in wagon trains or something. I am beginning to worry they were attacked by banditos, or worse, the nubs kept trying to ford the river until they lost all the Oxen!

But anyway from what I have read the new models do much better, for whatever that is worth. I have been trying to find out more on it. I hope this is my last experience with the dreaded RROD. I wish it didn't happen right as I was finishing Mass Effect and getting ready for Lost Odyssey :(

Beats me I just got a used 360 from them the manager said he has a local tech guy handle all of them and turn around is 2-3days. If I ever have the issue I will be sure to ask when I get mine fixed lol

Well, if they're using launch console innards that they fixed themselves, they might not be doing you a favor. Even after they've been "fixed" there's a chance that it'll RRoD later, and MS won't honor the warranty on a 360 that's been fixed by some local tech guy.

On topic, I hope the newer ones are better (and that I get one). I just got the coffin for my launch-era console today, and I'm going to mail it out tomorrow. I can't wait to get it back in 2-3 weeks! :rolleyes: At least I don't have to pay for anything...

have there been a lot of problems w/ the halo3 versions? i've had mine for about 3 months now but i don't play it that much, maybe 3-5 times a week for 2-3 hrs at a time (maybe that is a lot and i'm still not used to not spending 50 hrs a week in front of a pc/console)

There is always rumors of the Falcon motherboard still having RROD issues. But I have yet to see a Falcon owner post that they have the RROD.

I don't know whether I'm a goof or not, but I did spring for an Ebay 175w Xbox. Local stores hadn't had any in stock although of course 3 days after I got mine BB did have 203w Elites in stock. Piles of them.

I just got a Halo 3 Edition 360 last october, and i've already had to send it in. It sucks cuz i just got rock band :(

I didn't get the RRoD or anything, but my DVD drive refused to read disks of any kind.

the newer ones run on a 65nm cpu, so they cause less heat inside the xbox, but it still doesn't help the fact that the board (due to crap solder and bad designing) flexes and will inevitably cause 3Rlod. Overall, they're a bit more reliable, but with hd-dvd dying off, I don't see a better time to buy a ps3 than now (or soon) :D

The GPU is where the problem is, so until they shrink that to produce less heat, there is no evidence that the current new ones aren't going to have almost as many problems.

Wait for Jasper in August.

The GPU is where the problem is, so until they shrink that to produce less heat, there is no evidence that the current new ones aren't going to have almost as many problems.

Wait for Jasper in August.
To be fair, it wasn't so much the GPU as the way the GPU was soldered. If they fixed that, the die shrink isn't going to be as big of a deal.

I'm on my second 360. I originally bought mine at Walmart about a year and a half ago and I only got the rrod with the first one once, but it scratched the hell out of all of my games. I sent it in for repair over six months ago and the new one is slightly better, but still scratches discs. I buy all my games at Best Buy now so I can purchase the accidental damage warranty and I regret ever buying an Xbox.

Back