Are the new 97.92 (8800GTX) driver anygood ?

lowrider007

Weaksauce
I would try them myself but I have about a zillion icons layed out on my desktop in a speficic way so it take me an hour to put them back again after a new driver install, any way heres a link to the drivers,

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1547

there's a modded *.inf included so replace that with the one in the setup folder if your intending to use these drivers with gpu's other than the 8800 series.

Not really any different than the 97.44 and 97.02 versions, unless you have a specific issue you are trying to deal with. My best 3DM06 scores came with 96.89, while any of the 97's give me about 500pts less....but I digress, since I care about real games, and the 97.92's for me, are working fine and feel just as fast inside real games. 96.89 was fine as well except it ran a bit slow for Flight Simulator X.

So no, no reason to change, yet.

Not really any different than the 97.44 and 97.02 versions, unless you have a specific issue you are trying to deal with. My best 3DM06 scores came with 96.89, while any of the 97's give me about 500pts less....but I digress, since I care about real games, and the 97.92's for me, are working fine and feel just as fast inside real games. 96.89 was fine as well except it ran a bit slow for Flight Simulator X.

"here. try this pill. i would try it myself, but my mom is calling me. let me know how it worx out"

jk.

Um, 97.02 and 97.44 themselves are VERY different. 97.44 gives me all kinds of video corruption issues that either aren't present, or are greatly reduced, in 97.02. Performance seems slightly lower with 97.02, but I'm willing to accept that considering that image quality is better.

3DMark scores are useless in comparing one driver revision to another unless the scores are different by a large percentage, so hopefully that doesn't matter to anyone; unless of course, bragging rights are the only thing important to them.

I haven't heard of these new 97.92 drivers. If they've gotten WHQL certs though, or at least a changelog, I'll be interested in looking myself. 97.02 is far better than 97.44 for me, but there's still work to be done.

EDIT: Just checked, and it's the driver is listed as WHQL-certified for G80 GPU's, but is still considered a beta . Sounds a little iffy. I'll probably wait until I've heard reports of people more willing to fool around with these, until then I'll probably stay with the 97.02's.

i have them running right now. i cant really see too much of a difference with these but i didnt get the "ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO INSTALL THESE DRIVERS!?!?!" message during installation.

however it didnt fix my windows errors or some of the weirdness i see in world of warcraft and FEAR.

stable though

i have them running right now. i cant really see too much of a difference with these but i didnt get the "ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO INSTALL THESE DRIVERS!?!?!" message during installation.

however it didnt fix my windows errors or some of the weirdness i see in world of warcraft and FEAR.

stable though

Funny, but despite 97.44 and 97.02 being WHQL-certified, I got this message on both, XPP-SP2 said they hadn't passed certification/testing. Downloaded the 97.44's from nVidia, and the 97.02's direct from XFX, and each listed the certification prominently. (shrug)

I'm curious to see if the graphical corruption in Oblivion that was worst in 97.44 is fixed. I'm sure a number of people playing Splinter Cell:Double Agent would love to see if the issues with that title are resolved too, but from what I've heard, SC:DA was a hasty console port which resulted in some of the problems, so its hard to say whether a driver update (as opposed to a game patch) will be enough.

Back