Are the MSI Optix 144hz monitors any good?

biggles

2[H]4U
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/msi-24...ontent=1546170527117.105977762793757427586634

The one I was considering is $260 for a 27" 1080p display. Display is curved VA with freesync. I have an Nvidia gpu but g-sync is expensive and outside my budget. This would be replacing a Benq EW2750 VA monitor, 1080p 60 hz.

If this monitor is not recommended, what is a good bang for the buck 144hz monitor at around 27" screen size? Another question, people used to say to avoid TN panels, but I hear they are getting a lot better. Are TN panels still subjectively "bad"?

Do people here agree with the statement that IPS>VA>TN in terms of panel tech?

I had the 31.5" version (VA) and didn't like it at all and I sold it a few months later. As you may know, it's a subjective thing and somewhat game dependent, but I found the ghosting/motion blur unsatisfactory.
There are many brands that use these same panels.
I personally will always stay with TN or IPS for gaming monitors in the future; TN if wanting maximum competitive FPS or IPS if looking for color immersion.
VA is the best choice (imho) for general productivity use due to the extremely crisp text due to the high contrast ratio and the deep blacks and good viewing angles and colors (just slightly below IPS), but not for gaming!

I ended up getting the Acer XF270HU 1440p IPS monitor with 144hz refresh. Using it now. It is pretty amazing what the higher resolution and refresh can do. $300 refurbished after 15% coupon at Rakuten. Protip: need to use displayport to take advantage of higher refresh. This might be common knowledge among the tech savvy. I thought HDMI would work as the spec says it is capable but for some unknown reason it did not. Anyway, no biggie as the monitor included a displayport cable in the box.

Back