Are the 1x risers interchangeable between riser revisions?

Archaea

[H]F Junkie
see picture

I have a bunch of different types of risers. While the 1x risers may look a little different or have a slightly different form factor... are they all interchangeable or do I need to keep them matched to avoid shorting something

V8 is the most different when compared to other recent options.

i bought (12) v8 without realizing they were right angle 1x chips and so I can’t actually plug all 12 into my biostar tb250btc-pro

663D81AC-D58B-42C7-B196-276408836EF2.jpeg

it should be fine but all those risers that use a usb cable as a medium are entirly propriatary so they can wire them however they see fit.

it should be fine but all those risers that use a usb cable as a medium are entirly propriatary so they can wire them however they see fit.
Doesn't the same pin in the motherboard socket have to hit the same pin in the videocard? I'd think they'd be the same personally...

Doesn't the same pin in the motherboard socket have to hit the same pin in the videocard? I'd think they'd be the same personally...
yes but the pin coming from the motherboard can go through whatever wire in the usb cable the manufacturer wants. if the other end of the assembly doesnt properly reorganize thease lines you will have voltage where it shouldnt be,

Yes, but that just means the pins in the USB ports have to match on both sides of the cable. If riser A wires PCIe pin 1 to USB pin 1, but riser B wires PCIe pin 1 to USB pin 9, then mixing parts between A and B would have you wiring PCIe pin1 to the cards pin9.

Yes, but that just means the pins in the USB ports have to match on both sides of the cable. If riser A wires PCIe pin 1 to USB pin 1, but riser B wires PCIe pin 1 to USB pin 9, then mixing parts between A and B would have you wiring PCIe pin1 to the cards pin9.

True that. Is there some reason to overcomplicate things & make them NOT straight through?

Also: If they are using the "SS" usb markings isn't it supposed to match up with the USB standard?

True that. Is there some reason to overcomplicate things & make them NOT straight through?

Also: If they are using the "SS" usb markings isn't it supposed to match up with the USB standard?

They are not using the USB ports for USB. I just happens that the USB 3.0 cable is also good for transmitting PCIe signals too. So they take the connector and wire it straight to the pins of the PCIe slots. How they wire it is up to their discretion as long as the USB connector to USB connector wiring is straight through.

If you were to plug a USB device into these things, it would fry something.

They are not using the USB ports for USB. I just happens that the USB 3.0 cable is also good for transmitting PCIe signals too. So they take the connector and wire it straight to the pins of the PCIe slots. How they wire it is up to their discretion as long as the connector to connector wiring is straight through.

If you were to plug a USB device into these things, it would fry something.
What I'm saying is that the wiring (in the cable) should match the USB standard or they can't (legally) call it a USB cable I don't think.

I guess if you used the matched pcbs on both sides any usb cable should work. If you want to mix & match both pcbs that might not work.

The cables are standard USB cables. That's not the part in question. It's the PCB traces that take the PCIe signals to the USB connectors. Those can be wired up anyway the manufacturer sees fit.

The cables are standard USB cables. That's not the part in question. It's the PCB traces that take the PCIe signals to the USB connectors. Those can be wired up anyway the manufacturer sees fit.

So assuming all the USB cables are extensions for the traces (and there is no bridging, convert or other type of chip inbetween) don't the traces on each side have to match up with the pci-e standard?
If not, where would they get changed & still have the video card work?

eg: pin1 on the motherboard side, no matter how it's wired always has to end up at pin1 on the remote side. no matter what pin it uses on the standard usb cable it has to come out on pin 1 on the extension side....etc.

Edit: actually thinking a bit more about this, I can see what you mean.

You could have pin 1 on USB cable match with pin4 on one pcb, it would have to match on pin4 coming out.

With that being said it should simply require an examination of the pcb on both sides to determine if they are cross compatible...

Last edited:
So assuming all the USB cables are extensions for the traces (and there is no bridging, convert or other type of chip inbetween) don't the traces on each side have to match up with the pci-e standard?
If not, where would they get changed & still have the video card work?

As far as I can tell, this is a non-standards compliant implementation, but it works.
As long as pin 1 on the PCIe motherboard slot matches up with pin 1 on the PCIe riser slot, it doesn't matter if that signal is sent through the USB cables first, third, or ninth wire.

Here's two different ways to wire these up that would both work unless you mixed parts

Code:
Motherboard  ->  USB connector ====USB Cable==== USB connector  ->  Riser
Riser A
PCIe pin 1 ->  USB pin 1 ================= USB pin 1 ->  PCIe pin 1
PCIe pin 2 ->  USB pin 2 ================= USB pin 2 ->  PCIe pin 2
PCIe pin 3 ->  USB pin 3 ================= USB pin 3 ->  PCIe pin 3
PCIe pin 4 ->  USB pin 4 ================= USB pin 4 ->  PCIe pin 4
PCIe pin 5 ->  USB pin 5 ================= USB pin 5 ->  PCIe pin 5
PCIe pin 6 ->  USB pin 6 ================= USB pin 6 ->  PCIe pin 6
PCIe pin 7 ->  USB pin 7 ================= USB pin 7 ->  PCIe pin 7
PCIe pin 8 ->  USB pin 8 ================= USB pin 8 ->  PCIe pin 8
PCIe pin 9 ->  USB pin 9 ================= USB pin 9 ->  PCIe pin 9

Riser B
PCIe pin 1 ->  USB pin 9 ================= USB pin 9 ->  PCIe pin 1
PCIe pin 2 ->  USB pin 8 ================= USB pin 8 ->  PCIe pin 2
PCIe pin 3 ->  USB pin 7 ================= USB pin 7 ->  PCIe pin 3
PCIe pin 4 ->  USB pin 6 ================= USB pin 6 ->  PCIe pin 4
PCIe pin 6 ->  USB pin 4 ================= USB pin 4 ->  PCIe pin 6
PCIe pin 7 ->  USB pin 3 ================= USB pin 3 ->  PCIe pin 7
PCIe pin 8 ->  USB pin 2 ================= USB pin 2 ->  PCIe pin 8
PCIe pin 9 ->  USB pin 1 ================= USB pin 1 ->  PCIe pin 9

If you mixed A and B you'd get this, and a dead card or motherboard.

Code:
Motherboard  ->  USB connector ====USB Cable==== USB connector  ->  Riser
Riser A to B
PCIe pin 1 ->  USB pin 1 ================= USB pin 1 ->  PCIe pin 9
PCIe pin 2 ->  USB pin 2 ================= USB pin 2 ->  PCIe pin 8
PCIe pin 3 ->  USB pin 3 ================= USB pin 3 ->  PCIe pin 7
PCIe pin 4 ->  USB pin 4 ================= USB pin 4 ->  PCIe pin 6
PCIe pin 6 ->  USB pin 6 ================= USB pin 6 ->  PCIe pin 4
PCIe pin 7 ->  USB pin 7 ================= USB pin 7 ->  PCIe pin 3
PCIe pin 8 ->  USB pin 8 ================= USB pin 8 ->  PCIe pin 2
PCIe pin 9 ->  USB pin 9 ================= USB pin 9 ->  PCIe pin 1

Riser B to A
PCIe pin 1 ->  USB pin 9 ================= USB pin 9 ->  PCIe pin 9
PCIe pin 2 ->  USB pin 8 ================= USB pin 8 ->  PCIe pin 8
PCIe pin 3 ->  USB pin 7 ================= USB pin 7 ->  PCIe pin 7
PCIe pin 4 ->  USB pin 6 ================= USB pin 6 ->  PCIe pin 6
PCIe pin 6 ->  USB pin 4 ================= USB pin 4 ->  PCIe pin 4
PCIe pin 7 ->  USB pin 3 ================= USB pin 3 ->  PCIe pin 3
PCIe pin 8 ->  USB pin 2 ================= USB pin 2 ->  PCIe pin 2
PCIe pin 9 ->  USB pin 1 ================= USB pin 1 ->  PCIe pin 1

I have 4 very different models and interchange them all the time. I've never had any issues.

Back