Are SilenX PS's quality?

which one? :p
Customer be aware of counterfeit SilenX products being marketed by Ahanix, Colorcase, ExoticPC and others. True SilenX power supplies have no mention of Ahanix on the labels. Those who use our trademark illegally will be prosecuted to the maximum extent allowed by law.

ExoticPC sent a sample at the beginning of March. The original intent was to have the review published by around the end of March, but then confusion about the SilenX brand began.

Peter Kim, who was originally employed by ExoticPC, broke away to begin his own independent business under the name of silenx.com. The PSUs sold at silenx.com are branded SilenX. At the same time, ExoticPC continues to sell SilenX brand PSUs as well.

Without getting into the details, suffice it to say that the SilenX brand PSU supplied by silenx.com and exoticpc.com appear to be essentially identical, notwithstanding changes made by either silenx.com or exoticpc.com since mid-March. Regardless, please note that this review refers specifically to the SilenX 14 dBA 400W PSU sold by ExoticPC. As far as I am aware, ExoticPC have not made any changes in production since then.

SilenX 14 dBA 400W PSU @ spcr

there are at least two SilentX's they are both Fortrons that have been rebranded and possibly optioned up
but depending on the models (not having checked both vendors today) are ATX12V v1.3 supplies, and might not offer you the amps on the +12V rail you need or have the 24 pin main power connector you either need know or will soon

having just gone to SilenX.com
http://www.silenx.com/productcart/pc/configurePrdz.asp?idcategory=18&idproduct=97
this model offers a 24 pin, but is hugely overpriced IMO

I didnt check the other models

not a clue, havent even seen its top popped
if past history is any indicator...Fortron

but there isnt a Fortron 520 Im aware of, unless they derated a 530 to make it quiet,
but its an ATX12V v2.0 so that rules that out since the 530's are v1.3

that wattage designate sounds awfully familiar though
as in Topower also seen as OCZ, Tagan, and Vantec (different series) but again those are 520 v1.3s

could easily be any number of 550 or better temperature derated supplies
(meaning reduced airflow hense quiet)

all guesswork ;)

it was the iXtrema Pro 520 CAD OC'er linked If I remember correctly ;)

I linked a shopping cart by accident

I have the iXtrema Pro 600W (600w <14dBA iXtrema Pro A-PFC PSU - http://www.silenxusa.com/productcart/pc/viewCat_Z.asp?idCategory=3) and my system is config'd as below;

SilenX 600W PSU
SuperMicro P4SCT+II
P4 3.4C (ES)
2GB (four sticks) OCZ PC4400
Adaptec 2230SLP 256MB DDR SCSI RAID
\----> 5 X Seagate Cheetah 15K.4 drives (RAID 5) (ch. A)
\----> 1 X Quantum 10K (storage) drive (ch. B)
\----> Plextor UltraWide CD optical (ch. B)
Asus V9999Ultra Deluxe (nVidia 6800 Ultra)
Audigy 2 ZS
4 SilenX cooling fans
2 cold cath.

... I have a lot of requirements for good power. A few weeks back I thought I was over stressing my PSU (I had an additional SCSI controller card and SCSI DVD-RAM drive in there) so I pulled it and put in another but was still experiencing the same problem. Ended up being a a BIOS issue of the video card. But all this boils down to my point: I like this PSU a lot because, as it's name implies, it's quiet. I was really considering the PCP&C Turbo-Cool 510 Express because it's the PSU by which all others are measured, thanks for the info on it BTW Ice Czar, but I like the quietness of the SilenX. So if sound is a factor for you, like it is me, then I can say it delivers in that arena quite well. I'm not a power king like Ice Czar or others in this forum, so I can't talk about how efficent or constant/clean the power is or any other technical aspects of this unit, but I know it runs my system well and I haven't had a problem with it yet.

you ever void the warranty and pop the top on that

post a pic ;)

damn that is a boatload of components :p ;)

If it'll help the greater whole of humanity, then so be it! What was it, again, that Spock said to Capt. Kirk when he was in the reactor room saving the rest of the ship... :p

Now is a good time to do it since I'm in the middle of a rebuild and already have the gaming rig torn apart. If I can remember to bring the digital camera home today....

awsiemieniec said:
If it'll help the greater whole of humanity, then so be it! What was it, again, that Spock said to Capt. Kirk when he was in the reactor room saving the rest of the ship... :p

Now is a good time to do it since I'm in the middle of a rebuild and already have the gaming rig torn apart. If I can remember to bring the digital camera home today....
Is it the Pro or the Plus......what is the difference?

The PSU I was talking about is the Pro... The difference, according their web sites are the following:

Connectors:
Pro: 8 molex (4-pin), 2 floppy, 2 S-ATA
Plus: 8 molex (4-pin), 1 floppy

Input:
Pro: 95~264V @ 50~60 Hz
Plus: 115/230V @ 50/60 Hz

Cast Exterior:
Pro: Smooth, matte black
Plus: Unpainted metal

Power Switch:
Pro: Has NONE
Plus: Has I/O switch on back

I tried contacting SilenX to get the official specs for each but there is no answer. If I get ahold of them I'll post the official specs here.

wow thanks for compiling all that. I'm obsessed with quietness and the 350w PSU with crappy rails from my SLK3700BQE is really limiting me, so i was looking at the SilenX stuff. Looks good, I may have to pick up a 520 or 600 pro.

Ok, I just spoke to a SilenX employee. The I/O switch on the PRO PSU doesn't exist (on the 600W model) - he said that the picture on their web site is for "representational purposes only". He also said that of the 600W PRO and PLUS, the only "real differnce is cosmetic". He went on to say that the PLUS has the S-ATA connectors, some webbing around the primary power cable to the mobo but that's about it. They are both active, full range. I asked for some numbers that they got after testing each model but he discouraged me by saying all tests are different and that I can get my own tests with a multimeter. BUT in his defense, he did say that he *could* send me some info. I said "nevermind". Then I asked him about what was the room temperature used during the in-house tests and he said 25C (or maybe he said 28C . . . forgetting now.). So that's that.

All the silenx psu's are made by fortron, they reached oem basis so they could get psu's designed to what ever specs they wanted. Also I have seen a review of the silenx 600w, I'll try and find it again but it unlike other psu's I have seen, it has 3 layers of circuit boards and a ferrite cylinder on the cables comming out of the power supply. Also the label said components supplied by fortron, assembled by silenx in the usa

Ok, took a boat-load of pictures of the PSU (600W Pro) last night. I'm going through them now and selecting the best few. Once they're uploaded I'll update this post...

Alright, made a new post for the pictures - 2 posts below. Some didn't turn out too well...I'm not really happy about some of the pics. Oh well.

It would also appear that since the Pro has full AC range input, that it is Active PFC, whereas the Plus is probably just passive PFC, if any... not that this really matters anyway ;)

damn nicely done ;)

now that is a unique design
and looks like a very high quality build with alot of thought put into thermal management
Id really like to see that supply put through its paces
other than my PCP&C 510, I havent seen so many boards and components shoehorned into an enclosure :p
(and my PCP&C has alot more room devoted to the heatsinks)
looks like the main heatsink contacts to the case?

is it OK if I post those PICs to this thread?
I'll get them hosted somewhere else

Ice Czar said:
. . .is it OK if I post those PICs to this thread? I'll get them hosted somewhere else

Sure knock yourself out! I have the originals that are in 1280 X 960 format. If you'd like larger ones I can send them to you. The ones posted I made into 450 px.

naw its various free hosting
FLECOM compiles and refreshes the list on a regular basis
wouldnt want to slam em too hard, that and not everyone has broadband

iXtreama600-1.jpg

iXtreama600-3.jpg

iXtreama600-2.jpg

Back