• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Are OEM Hard Drives Safe?

Suprnova04

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 1, 2004
Messages
439
I'm looking for a nice 200GB or so hard drive, and I was wondering if the general consensus is that buying OEM drives is safe. What do you all think?

Thanks
 
Generally, OEM is actually better than Retail. WD and Maxtor think so - they offer longer warranties on their OEM drives than they do on equivalent retail kits, for a variety of reasons.

I have over a dozen OEM drives. No problems.
 
Are you using OEM to refer to bare drives versus retail? OR OEM as in going to say Dell and buying a Drive?

IF you are thinking of a bare Drive ... then I have never had a problem, but I only buy from known manufacturers and established suppliers for them.
 
Then you will be fine as all the above posters have stated .... if you are looking for references ... WD or Samsung are my preferences.
 
ZZF is reputed to have better drive packaging than newegg, who is known for having poorly packaged bare drives. Something to consider...
 
I ordered an OEM 250GB Maxtor Diamondmax 10 drive from zipzoomfly...it was packaged very well, and the drive has a 3 year warranty. It's super fast compared to my old IDE Maxtor drives (both of which have failed on me, although one is still under warranty thankfully).
 
i dont think there are any real life differences between SATA and PATA (that u can notice) but SATA uses a thinner cable makin it easier to organize...
 
Vertigo Acid said:
ZZF is reputed to have better drive packaging than newegg, who is known for having poorly packaged bare drives. Something to consider...
A very good point. All the drives I've bought from ZZF have come in this awesome foam container, compared to the ones from newegg with a small strip of bubble wrap taped around the drive.
 
ZZF's website pisses me off... their searching tool (or lack thereof) makes me lean toward newegg. I guess i could find the drives i want on newegg and then when i have the exact one it shouldn't be hard to find on ZZF.
 
Every harddrive that I've ever owned has been an OEM drive. No problems, except once when one of my SCSI drives in my RAID 0 arrray went offline. 30 seconds later I brought it back online and everything was fine. Go with OEM, they are cheaper with longer warranties. If you want to get an extra year of warranty, get a Visa Classic II card. It doubles the warranty on everything you buy, up to one year.

eg. 6 month warranty >>>>>>>>>>>>1 year warranty

eg 1 year warranty >>>>>>>>>>>>>>2 year warranty

eg 5 year warranty>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>6 year warranty

and you dont have to pay for these benefits :cool:
 
I won't normally buy a retail drive since they normally only have a 1 year warranty and cost too much, while the OEM version of the same drive is either 3 or 5 years depending on brand.
 
I would say that OEM drives are taken better care of in shipping then retail drives are that go to local B&M's and of course OEM drives usually have better warrantys then retail drives. I just ordered a new WD2500JD from ZZF the other day and they packaged it very well it a little styrofoam container. The only thing that surprised me though was my hard drive had a black top on it instead of the normal bare metal look.
 
Black top WD = Good news for you. It means you got a drive with Fluid Dynamic Bearing (FDB) Motors. It will run much quieter and cooler than the WD drives you have had in the past, and should be faster too.
 
DougLite said:
Black top WD = Good news for you. It means you got a drive with Fluid Dynamic Bearing (FDB) Motors. It will run much quieter and cooler than the WD drives you have had in the past, and should be faster too.

Well thats cool. I just thought Western Digital might of started using black tops to be more stylish or something :p.
 
DougLite said:
Black top WD = Good news for you. It means you got a drive with Fluid Dynamic Bearing (FDB) Motors. It will run much quieter and cooler than the WD drives you have had in the past, and should be faster too.

I have a silver top WD800JB that I bought at retail, and I noticed that my friend's WD800JB that he bought online OEM (Newegg) has a black top. Does this mean mine doesn't have a FDB motor?
 
Most likely, your silver topped drive is ball or ceramic bearing. If you've never had a FDB drive, you don't know what you're missing. Pick one up as soon as you can - it is bascially impossible to get a drive that doesn't have FDB motors nowadays, and they do make a world of difference in terms of idle noise.
 
Back
Top