Are new 6950's able to be flashed to 6970?

guitarguy6

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys, I'm going to xfire my current Powercolor 6950 2GB and was wondering if the new 6590's out today can still be bios flashed to a 6970. I did it with my current one and would like to hopefully have that option if I buy another new card. Also does anyone know if xfire works well in Rift? That game using eyefinity is gorgeous and I'm hoping 2 X 6950's can max it out.

I wouldn't flash it with a 6970 bios in case the memory craps out down the line.

Safer to just use your original bios, unlock the shaders and then oc in CCC or whatever.

What I did with my Powercolor is flash the bios and then set the memory and clock speeds down closer to 6950 specs. What do you use to unlock the shaders only?

What do you use to unlock the shaders only?

There's a 6950 shader unlock only BIOS out there (or a 6970 clocked to 6950 specs BIOS.) I ran the 6970 first but then ran the shader only later. I don't exactly know what it's called, but you'll find it with Google.

This Mod_BIOS_HD_6950.zip seems to be the thing. Ugh, it's a PHP scripts which does a binary patch of your BIOS.

I'd just dump the BIOS (gpuz) and then try to mod it.

This package has winatiflash+gpuz (wouldn't use the BIOSes included and probably better getting newest gpuz).

Last edited:
After you guys flash these, what is the average OC available on them?

I'm running 920/1300 at stock (1.100 v) right now. I've tested memory at up to 1480 in 3dmark 11 but I turned it down to near the spec of 5.0GHz QDR.
Probably won't be overvolting anytime soon.

Thanks for the info. Which drivers should I use, I mostly will be playing Rift. 11.2? 11.3? or the 11.4 preview?

Back