Are my i7 OC settings ok?

fusion29

n00b
Hello everyone. I just built a new i7 system and absolutely love it. I am now trying to do some overclocking but i am afraid i am a turd when coming to overclocking. I gave it a shot and it seems to be running ok. (No crashes or anything) I was wondering if things looked alright.

Settings i messed with:

AI Tuner - Manual
Turbo Mode - Disabled
BCLK - 170
DRAM Freq - 1644MHz
CPU Voltage - 1.35V
QPI/DRAM Voltage - 1.35V
DRAM Voltage - 1.64V

cpuz1.jpg

Those are my screen shots with nothing going on. I really only play games on this comp (WoW, Call of Duty 4 and a lot of World of War). Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just want to make sure that i don't fry something.

Your voltage is within spec, but probably higher than it needs to be. I have a couple of questions that should help people help you:

1. What type of cooling are you using?

2. Have you tried to any stress test programs to verify the stability of your system?

3. Are you looking to see how high your cpu can overclock or are you looking for a 24/7 setting?

I am using air cooling. Have a Xigmatek Dark Knight and the fans that came with the case. I also just ran this CPU cooldown test through Real Temp. Here are the results.

cooldowntest1.jpg

Also what would be a good setting for the voltage? Thanks for the replies, greatly appreciated.

I have my i7 DO 920 at 1.125 VCore voltage with the exact same OC as you, but with Turbo enabled, so you may have around .23 to play with. Try lower and see what happens.

Ok stupid question, the Vcore voltage is the CPU voltage right? Also what is a decent setting for DRAM frequency. When i first made this thread it was 1644, and i switched it to 1304. Which would be the better setting of the two? Lastly i did drop the CPU voltage to 1.24 and the temp went down a decent amount. Once again i thank you all for the help.

One more screenshot of my new settings at idle.

cpuz2t.jpg

vcore is voltage yeah, you can probably still drop it more, just stress test until u find it no longer stable then go back to the previous voltage setting

I think my vcore is too high? This is my first overclock ever. Any suggestions?

3770035742_b5bea03049_o.png

I think that you just have to follow some basic principles of Overclocking regardless of the chipset/CPU.

I have the 920 running on an EVGA Classified board.
First of all keep you VCore right where it is currently.
Set your VDimm (memory voltage) for recommended by the manufacturer of the memory.
Set the memory ratio at 2:8
Use Turbo and Hyperthreading.
Take the BCLK up 5-10 MHz increments at a time and after each adjustment run a stress test. I use Orthos and run 4 instances......one instance for each core....Orthos was made to test dual cores.
Monitor stability and heat.

You should easily do 190 BCLK on your board and cooler without much voltage adjustment. Trying to go over 4 GHz will need more voltage, probably in the 1.38- 1.4 range.
My C0 stepping 920 needs 1.435V to be stable at 4.25 GHz.

If your temps are fine at 1.3vcore, shoot for 4ghz. "just saying" my d0 does that. hell it did 3.6ghz stable at 1.17vcore.

Looks like you can change your memory timings to 8 since they are at 9.

Yes i did. When I change my Dram frequency, there is no option that will get me memory timings of 8. Do I have to key them in manually? If so how can I achieve this?

My options for Dram freq are 13xx, 17xxm, and the rest above 1700MHz.

Quick question. I changed my DRAM Frequency to 1330 MHz which gives me the 2:8. If i go lower i get 2:6 and higher gives me 2:10. I then went into DRAM timing control and switch the CAS-TRCD-TRP to 8 clocks, the TRAS to 24 and the TRFC to 88. Is that ok to do with the cpu being overclocked?

Quick question. I changed my DRAM Frequency to 1330 MHz which gives me the 2:8. If i go lower i get 2:6 and higher gives me 2:10. I then went into DRAM timing control and switch the CAS-TRCD-TRP to 8 clocks, the TRAS to 24 and the TRFC to 88. Is that ok to do with the cpu being overclocked?

What is your BCLK in association to the above??
Is your RAM running at 665Mhz??? That would be 1330 in double data rate???
Or is it set at 1330??? which would mean 2660 double data rate which is probably way too much OC for the RAM.

Back