• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Are Hitachi drives wider?

burningrave101

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Sep 9, 2003
Messages
11,825
I just bought a Hitachi 7k250 and tried to install it in a Praetorian and i had a hell of a job getting it in there. My three Western Digital drives slid right in and out without hardly leaving a scratch. The Hitachi on the other hand scratched the crap out of the aluminum on both sides because i had to push so hard to get it in.
 
Ive got the CM 201 and the top part of the drive bays are very tight, i had to pull out my mobo try incase i ripped the drive out and knocked mobo caps.
 
AFAIK, 3.5" drives are 3.5" drives, no differences in width. Sounds like an issue with your case
 
Vertigo Acid said:
AFAIK, 3.5" drives are 3.5" drives, no differences in width. Sounds like an issue with your case

Well i know its a 3.5" drive but even a fraction of a millimeter difference could cause problems. I had my WD 2500JB installed in the same slot and it didn't go in tight like that.
 
On my Praetorian I had to loosen the optical drives and the walls spread a bit, not sure if that made any sense.
 
burningrave101 said:
Well i know its a 3.5" drive but even a fraction of a millimeter difference could cause problems. I had my WD 2500JB installed in the same slot and it didn't go in tight like that.
Again, if a fraction of a millimeter is causing issues, it an enclosure issue!
 
Does sound like an enclosure problem, 3.5" standard is exactly that - but hey, who knows.. could be a manuf. defect... :p
 
The Donut said:
Does sound like an enclosure problem, 3.5" standard is exactly that - but hey, who knows.. could be a manuf. defect... :p

Not exactly that... most 3.5" drives are actually 4 inches in width, and some are a few mm wider than others.
 
I think its a case defect now that i got done testing it some more. The bottom two 3.5" slots work perfect and a HDD slides right in and out without rubbing but in the two top ones its VERY tight and pretty much impossible to slide the HDD in without alot of force and scratching everything up.

I'm contacting Directron tommorrow and telling them the case is a defect and i want a replacement.
 
AuroraProject said:
On my Praetorian I had to loosen the optical drives and the walls spread a bit, not sure if that made any sense.

that DOES make sense ;)
 
I lub my drive rail system..... :D

I got sick of screws and tight fits (except when my GF is involved) a long time ago....
 
It did get better after i lossened all the optical drives and the floppy drive but it was still rubbing quite a bit when i slid it back in. I guess i'll probably just keep the case for now since it will be a hassle to RMA to Directron and they may try and say its all my fault and not give me a replacement. The scratches are just in one drive area and if it wasn't for the fact i have scratch paranoia it would be alright lol. I'll just wait and sell the case and get something better when i see it.

Bullitt said:
I lub my drive rail system..... :D

I got sick of screws and tight fits (except when my GF is involved) a long time ago....

I hear ya bud. :cool:
 
burningrave101 said:
I think its a case defect now that i got done testing it some more.

When you measured the widths, what did you find?

.B ekiM
 
mikeblas said:
When you measured the widths, what did you find?

.B ekiM

I didn't measure i just tried difference hard drives in all the slots and found the top ones were alot tighter. I guess the reason is because of the way the case is constructed the optical drives pull the HDD bay togethor more near the top when their screwed in tight. It loosened up some when i loosened the screws on the optical drives.

The Hitachi drive was still rubbing the sides when i slid it in though and i'm still stuck with this stupid scratches inside the HDD bay but o well.
 
Back
Top