Are DELL's upgradable?

I remember a few years ago Dell was using proprietary PSU's plugs and mobo's and their cases had the screws in different spots than standard ATX boards. Has this changed? Can Dells systems now be upgraded piecemeal?

thanks.

I remember a few years ago Dell was using proprietary PSU's plugs and mobo's and their cases had the screws in different spots than standard ATX boards. Has this changed? Can Dells systems now be upgraded piecemeal?

thanks.

I remember that being asking when Packard Bell was a popular computer, back in the day.
As for Dell, I believe it now depends on which model you have. But I am not exactly sure.

Yes, it depends on the model. Also, most current dells are BTX, so it would be hard to find certain parts. Things like videocards and other expansion cards will work fine, just make sure the PSU is up to the task.

I believe the Dimension 5150 is BTX. It would probably be tough to upgrade the motherboard.

BTX is intel's new "standard" that was rejected/postponed by the industry. http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1876

An easy way to tell is to look at it. While facing the front of the case, if the mobo mounts on the right hand side sidepanel, then its ATX. If it mounts on the left hand side sidepanel, its most likely BTX.

why dont you just sell it and then build your own and save yourself trouble?
only my 1 cent

I just bought a setup for a customer that was a e6400 w/ asus P5L-MX 1 GB DDR667 1 DIMM, 250gb samsung spinpoint sata drive, DVD-RW, multi card reader, CM case, FSP 380w PSU

all for $715 including my 15% to put it together and when I calculated it on Dells website it was $905 w/o monitor

ouch.. $200 more I was shocked

I just bought a setup for a customer that was a e6400 w/ asus P5L-MX 1 GB DDR667 1 DIMM, 250gb samsung spinpoint sata drive, DVD-RW, multi card reader, CM case, FSP 380w PSU

all for $715 including my 15% to put it together and when I calculated it on Dells website it was $905 w/o monitor

ouch.. $200 more I was shocked

I build a lot of computers for my clients as well. I usually mark them up 20-30%. Just to make sure I am not overcharging I usually configure a similar system on Dell's website. I am usually still cheaper than buying a Dell. The only place I can't compete is on the super cheap shitty Dells. There is just no way I can build a computer for under $400 unless I use the absolute shittiest case with the crapiest psu etc.
Just my 2 cents.

Yea, I can always put togeather a higher end system with better parts cheaper than Dell,but can no way compete with those $399.00 low end deals they have.

Back