Are Creative drivers still bloatware?

Vexorg

[H]ard|Gawd
I've never been big on PC audio, but given the fact that for my next upgrade I'm looking to put together a nice multimedia system, and the fact that the onboard audio and $10 speakers I have on here just aren't cutting it anymore, I'm looking right now at an Audigy ZS and a set of Logitech Z640 speakers. I've never really been a big fan of Creative products, primarily because of the high CPU utilization on the SB Live cards I used to have, and because of the bloated drivers. I know that the Audigy cards should be using less CPU than the SBLive cards were, but are the drivers still going to put on all sorts of superfluous junk I'll probably never use?

Yea, the default installation is still around 200 megs.
If you install just the drivers you are looking at something like a 7 meg install.
My thing is ... what does it matter?
If you are like me and have 700 gigs of storage space and a 3ghz machine then the bloatware doesn't really matter.
Even when I was in the anal stage about keeping the system "lean and mean" I couldnt tell a differance in the performance of the system with and with out the bloatware ;)

I'll just say that bloatware drivers are a bit of a pet peeve of mine, back from my experience in tech support. Among the worst I ever had to deal with was someone who needed a driver for a network card in an IBM system... Turns out the only way to get it was going to be a 65MB download on a 56K model. Creative seems to have been a frequent offender in this regard, in my experience.

Back