Are all HDMI cables the same?

I agree with the article. A wire is a wire is a wire. I don't know what 'failures' you could mediate with a cable.

Monster cables are the ONLY way to go. I would never have anything but virgin, molecularly aligned copper that had been blessed by a shaman in my cables. Cheap at twice the price.

/sarc

Monoprice is the only way to go, never had a problem with their cables.

Pretty much all the same. So the only question is how far are they rated to a certain display frequency. Cables that use thicker wire are generally rated longer, as well as some special cables like the Belden HDMI cables that Blue Jeans sells.

However that's all you need to worry about. You need to figure out how long a cable you need, what resolution you need, and make sure you buy one that meets those needs. It can be as cheap as you like and it'll work fine (Monoprice is a great choice). If your length is 10 ft or under, you really don't have to worry since they are high speed, and thus high rez, at that length, even the nice thin cheap 28 AWG ones.

Only potential other concern would be if you have an HDMI 1.4 setup. HDMI 1.4 specifies the potential to have some additional shit like ethernet embedded in the cable, which takes more connectors. In the highly unlikely event you actually have a setup with this, then you'd need a cable that has the extra connectors. However as I'm aware of precisely zero products that make use of this, don't worry and just get a high speed HDMI cable.

I use Monoprice for everything but cases where I need long runs with thin cable. The Blue Jeans Belden cables can do high speed over longer ranges than normal cables. For example their F2 cables, which are 28 AWG, are high speed certified up to 15 feet, whereas normal ones like from Monoprice are only high speed up to 10 feet. So supposing a need a more flexible cable but a bit more range, I'll get one of those. they are much more expensive though so for all normal apps, Monoprice it is.

Getting the monster cable is about as useful as wearing a powerband.

True, my $ 3.00 HDMI cable shows the same picture as a overpriced Monster Cable. Like they say, a sucker born every minute. ;)

I grabbed the cheapest HDMI cables from Fry's and they work perfectly for my LG 47", PS3, U-verse box and Denon receiver. I think they're 6 feet cables. I had the same confusion when I was first looking for HDMI cables, websites I came across kept saying to get the cheapest and screw the more expensive cables.

I would have gone with Monoprice if I wanted to wait a bit but wanted to set up my system that evening.

Cheap HDMI cables can cause all manner of problem. The plastic on them can catch fire, if exposed to fire. Wrapping them around your neck can result in chocking. Your girlfriend might notice the cheap cables and dump you for being a cheapskate.

All HDMI cables are not the same. Some can be crap....bad connectors, poor construction. However, a good HDMI cable need not cost more than what you pay on Monoprice. Amazon also has good, inexpensive cables. I would stay away from Monster as they are way overpriced.

No, they are not the same. Some can make your penis bigger in direct proportion to the amount of money they cost.

Back