Arduino Project Has Sega Rally Cabinets Steer RC Cars

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If you like racing RC cars and also happen to like video style racing, why not join the two and have your RC car respond to your gaming commands? That’s exactly what was done at a recent Codebits VI event in Portugal. The only thing lacking in the setup is a horn on the RC cars to clear the path. :D

cool

but does anyone really use their left foot for the brake?

May have worked better with 3 cameras set up for a wider view angle. Kinda like eyefinity

Many kinds of racing left foot braking is an important skill. Formula, Rally, etc etc etc

Huh, I've actually run a few rally stages, I've had to heel and toe with the left but never just straight up camp the brake

learn something every day

cool

All the time. But you have to be aware of yourself enough to not ride the brake in regular traffic.

Otherwise, there are some racing reasons you want to. I usually switch between the two, and use it more often in traffic or in bad conditions where I might need to switch between the two, or allow a more gentle application of torque to the wheels than just the accelerator allows for.

I've always dreamed of making a rig like this, only I envisioned piloting a mech rather than driving a car.

cool

I drove manuals for many years, now have an auto and my left foot just hates to sit idle, misses the clutch pedal too much. I can't drive any other way now, rarely if ever ride the brakes and stopping reaction has dramatically improved, there's a lucky grateful cat somewhere out there who can attest to that lol

Hey, they stole my idea! I'm sure I must have been the only one in history to think of that. Though they didn't implement it very well. Did anyone watch the video and see the huge lag in the steering?

Huh, I've actually run a few rally stages, I've had to heel and toe with the left but never just straight up camp the brake

learn something every day

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left-foot_braking

When I went through the half day at dirtfish rally school, we did it quite a bit. LIFT TURN BRAKE.... WAIT... WAIT... GAS... :p

That said I never do it on a street car, heel-toe all day on downshifts before a corner though

Hey, they stole my idea! I'm sure I must have been the only one in history to think of that. Though they didn't implement it very well. Did anyone watch the video and see the huge lag in the steering?

It's just a bunch of COTS systems band-aided together from an Arduino. You can't expect too much from it.

Back