Arcview 8.2 Hardware specs?

Dafinga

n00b
At work right now my team is trying to PROVE to management that we need to run more high end hardware for most of our duties. I strickly work with Arcview 8.2 and the processing speed for rendering is way to slow for the output and jobs that get thrown our way. I develop high scale database driven maps, that output competitors for a banking firm. I will possibly be developing 3D modeling to go into these maps in the future, so I have to PROVE that the hardware specs that I need are backed up with some proof that the software will run faster and more efficient.

So I need help trying to find this proof from a website, document, etc. I have been looking all over and there is no HARD evidence.

So guys and girls, more help the better! Thanks! :rofl:

A fellow [H] GIS user, I'm so excited. :D

We use ArcINFO 8.3 here at work, and I am on a 1GHz P3, with 512MB RDRAM and a Matrox G400 with an old SCSI drive that cannot be 10,000RPM. Let me tell you that when I start running stuff like Spatial Analyst and 3D Analyst (used over a network version), it slows down so horribly. Even working with large (1GB or greater) images, it takes forever to refesh. I can't blame it all on the hardware though. A lot of our files are served off the network and trying to pull in a 600MB shapefile over a 10/100 network can drive a grown man to tears.

Anyway, back to your question. ESRI's specs aren't going to help you.
link

My only suggestion to you, and this helped me go from 256MB ram to 512MB ram is to show them how ineffecient it is. Bring up a project that crawls on your system and let them see how long refresh times take, or how ungodly it is to edit features on a slow machine. Let them feel your pain, and point out how it hinders your productivity.

Good luck.

Are you going to the ESRI conference in July?

hehehehe! Yeah I don't know many people who use this program as well!

I forgot to post the specs of my work machine:
Hewlett Packard custom case
Intel Pentium 4 1.8Ghz
1 gb of Ram
ATI Rage 128 Pro GL

The types and models not sure, because not allowed to open the machine because of company policy......

I hear that cross network issue, what a bitch! I would like to go to that conference, but not sure if company will pay for it?

Thanks!

There are a couple of options that could help.
From what I hear from other users, a CPU upgrade is more beneficial than a ram upgrade for ESRI software, especially with raster datasets. Your machine is already pretty nice, but a CPU upgrade could definitely help. Too bad ArcINFO isn't multi-threaded.

Another option or additon could be a ram drive.
http://www.cenatek.com./

They offer a rocket drive that goes up to I think 4GB for $600. That could really help as well.

Of course, these are just dream add-ons to my workstation.

Back