Arctic Silver Installation Mistake

stevenq

n00b
Bought a 939Dual mobo with AMD 3000+ 64 processor and Arctic Silver 5. Since I didn't have access to internet I just guessed when it came to how to apply the Actic Silver 5. I wound up smothering every millimeter of the CPU with the dark grey gooey stuff and then put the heat sink on. I applied a nice thick layer around 1mm thick. Well, at least my CPU seems to run cool, somewhere around 35 degrees celcius.

After reading the instructions online I found out I was only supposed to add one small drop of the stuff on the center of the processor (the size of a couple of rice grains) and then give it a few twists to "spread" it around a bit.

I'm afraid something adverse might happen if I leave all that stuff on. What do you guys think?? :confused:

I think what might happen is when you pull off the heatsink, the proc might come out as well... so make sure to give it a twist before you pull it out.

pduan87 said:
I think what might happen is when you pull off the heatsink, the proc might come out as well... so make sure to give it a twist before you pull it out.
That happens to me if I barely put a BB sized dab on... you're probaby going to have to cook that stuff before you'll ever get the heatsink off.

The only thing I would worry about is AS5 leaking off onto your motherboard, although I admit it's not exactly a crisis or likely to cause damage - just generally a bad idea.

But the fact is that if your temps are good, you are good to go. Just make sure that your max temp isn't too high (in other words, give your CPU 100% load for a few minutes and check).

But your story gives testament to the fact that a lot of people largely over-dramatize the complexity and impact of thermal paste. Most of the more intricate tips and strategies on the issue are as much about self-persuasion than actual performance increase. The fact is that if you get some random amount of paste on there and install the heatsink as designed, your chip will most likely run without issue.

Would covering the entire A64 lid really be bad thermally?
I don't see how but I could be missing something.

So they recommend a dab in the middle because it will act like glue otherwise?
Or they are worried about seepage onto the mobo?

1mm is kinda thick though, never even did that with unlidded XP's, was I supposed to?

For some reason, everytime I get a new CPU and set it up, then let it run for a few weeks and then redo the thermal paste to the heatsink, I always get slightly better temps. Not sure why, might be doing something better the 2nd time around by accident.

dualism said:
Too much grease can cause the reverse effect with insulation.

QFT. Especially with AS5...

Did you at least clean the lid with the alcohol first?

I use acetone to cleanup AS5. Alcohol takes forever and sometimes doesn't work at all.
Just gotta be careful not to get it on pcboard.

added: but I just read this on their instruction page:
If you use any of the suggested products to remove Arctic Silver thermal compound from the CPU ceramic or heatsink base, always do a final cleaning with isopropyl alcohol to remove any residue from the cleaner.

hmm, I've never done that cleanup. But acetone evaporates completely...

I've always wondered about using acetone. I use isopropyl alcohol for cleaning CPUs, I worry acetone would be too aggressive and wear off the text from the CPU or damage it somehow. Anyone else know if this is the case or not?

I believe the text on the cpu is LASER etched.
If you take that off with acetone you are definitely rubbing too hard!!!
:eek: LOL! :D

the single grain of rice thing is I believe too little especially for dual cores as it doesn't spread out enough.

Best cleaning method for these CPU lids really is the articlean.
$7 and you can clean the lid SO many times. Best thing is the stuff actually disolves AS5 instead of smearing it around like the alchohol does.

vibe said:
I use acetone to cleanup AS5. Alcohol takes forever and sometimes doesn't work at all.

The 70% isopropyl alcohol tends to have more problems. The 91% stuff is much better for cleaning purposes.

I glob blobs of thermal goo over the heatspreader and attempt to spread it out with a flat heatsink... Iono... Im happy with my temps I guess I am just destructive like that.

I use a plastic bag over-the-finger method to spread out the compound so it's fairly thin and covers everything. I don't like the idea of putting some in the middle and letting it squeeze out everywhere myself.

i usually put a small dab about 150% the size of a grain of rice on and spread it with a razor blade. nice and thin but complete coverage with no air bubbles. if i were you i would take your heatsink off and reapply the proper amount before it sets and you run an even greater risk of ripping out a chip.

thewhiteguy said:
I use a plastic bag over-the-finger method to spread out the compound so it's fairly thin and covers everything. I don't like the idea of putting some in the middle and letting it squeeze out everywhere myself.
I tried that but I couldnt get it as thin as I like without it starting to goop up.. I usually pull out my drivers liscense or student ID and just keep spreading around till I reach perfection.

SKy042 said:
Best cleaning method for these CPU lids really is the articlean.
$7 and you can clean the lid SO many times. Best thing is the stuff actually disolves AS5 instead of smearing it around like the alchohol does.

Seconded. Articlean and coffee filters :cool:

Definitely pick up some arcticlean. I got many back up bottles :)

Just apply some on an as5 covered processor, wipe, and its spotless.

Dont worry about the thermal paste mistake, as long as it doesnt seep out onto the mobo you should be fine. People over react a lot about thermal paste. Usually, no matter how you apply it, as long as it is an adequate amount, your temps will be within 1 or 2 degrees of any other method. It really doesnt matter...

Thanks for all the help replies guys! :)

I am definitely thinking of getting some articlean although I'm not sure where to get it cheap. Maybe Compusa.

I'm not to worried about the temps. What I'm worried about is what some guys said above about ripping the chip out of the socket. I could definitely see this happening as in the past, I've seen the paste get pretty well crusted into the base of the heatsink.

Btw - I was exaggerating a bit about how much I applied. I didn't put 1mm thick all the way across, but I did spread it around enough so it covered everything. When I put the heatsink on top of it, it did not ooze out so I think the amount was ok. :rolleyes:

Stevenq

the only downside i see with spreading the stuff over the processor before putting the heatsink on is that pockets of air will exist

My God you guys make cleaning off thermal compound to be a task. Wipe if off with a paper towel and finish off with some isopropyl alcohol on another piece of paper towel. See, was'nt that easy.

If you are talking about the bubble gum TIM applied to chipsets and GPUs then I can see using something stronger like acetone with some isopropyl alcohol to follow up.

And regarding having a one millimeter think coat of thermal grease, that has got to be one of the silliest things I have ever heard of. AMD specs mechanical loading (the pressure on the CPU from the heat sink) for lidded processors at 100 lbf (pounds per foot). If you think that your perfect one millimeter thick coat of thermal grease is going to stay that way you are sadly mistaken. This is why a small amount of TIM is put in the middle of the CPU. The pressure will equally spread the grease where it needs to go over time.

CentronMe said:
My God you guys make cleaning off thermal compound to be a task. Wipe if off with a paper towel and finish off with some isopropyl alcohol on another piece of paper towel. See, was'nt that easy.

You've obviously never worked with AS5.

Zinn said:
I wound up smothering every millimeter of the CPU with the dark grey gooey stuff and then put the heat sink on. I applied a nice thick layer around 1mm thick. Well, at least my CPU seems to run cool, somewhere around 35 degrees celcius.
There is noway that the entire area surrounded your socket is not gooified. I personally would pull that off and clean it up.. If you have ever applied it correctly you will see how it spreads overtime and with heat when you unmount the heatsink... I can't imagine what yours will do with time + heat. They recommend a dap in the center because it is designed to fill the micro sized surface gaps on the heatsink and the CPU.. you my friend have put to much :eek:.

Nail Polish Remover here. I leave the big cans of Acetone in the garage.

To spread Arctic Silber I use the non-sticky side of scotch tape or my finger in a plastic bag.

Then I take the remains on my finger/bag and rub VERY hard and fast on the bottom of the heatsink giving it a grey "haze" look.

I use a sandwich bag to spread it initially, then I take a credit card, smooth it out, apply a tiny bit more in the center and then smooth that to each edge.

For cleaning, I keep a bottle of rubbing alcohol and some coffee filters nearby.

Back