• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Arctic Silver 5 vs. generic brand

blurhahn

Weaksauce
Joined
Jun 30, 2005
Messages
89
Is there a massive difference between a generic brand of a silver based thermal compound and the premiere brand(AS5)? Reason being, I could drive 3 mins to best buy right now and buy some generic, without waiting and without paying $5 for shipping @ newegg.

And, do any retail stores sell arctic silver?
 
AS5 generally has better thermal conductivity than the generics, and isn't silicone based, so it is less likely to degrade. That said, for a non-overclocker, there's not really a ton of reason absolutley have it, but it's worth it if you can get it. Also, here's a link to a 3.5g tube for 10.99 shipped 2nd day.

 
But would a generic brand of silver thermal compound outperform the stock thermal pad that comes with my 64 3200+ retail box?
 
Depending on where you live, aren't there shops around besides bestbuy, etc, that sell computer stuff? They might have AS5.
 
artic silver is good "3 to 12 degrees centigrade lower CPU full load core temperatures than standard thermal compounds or thermal pads when measured with a calibrated thermal diode imbedded in the CPU core." there reviews all over the place for this stuff
 
Most "silver compounds" that are generic are not infact the real deal....AS5 is and will out perform most anything else....worth it in my opinion
 
Alot of generic Silver Coumpounds use Silver Oxide, which is basicly the same thing as rust is to Iron. I would not risk getting a generic coumpound. If you cant aford the AS5 try Arctic Alumina it is a little cheaper and still performs well. Even the small tube will last for a few CPU's.
 
Diablo2K said:
If you cant aford the AS5 try Arctic Alumina it is a little cheaper and still performs well

If you can't afford a tube of AS5 you need to manage your budget better.

I have been using AS5 for quite sometime now and I love it, I refuse to use anything else.
 
Well if you look at this thread I created last month: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=915128

All the problems I was having ended up being because I had used some knock-off brand silver thermal paste and it ended up caking up and when I bumped the heat sink while dusting out the computer, it messed up the contact between the core and the heat sink.

If it had been artic silver, it probably wouldn’t have caked up like that.
 
Back
Top