• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Arctic Silver 5 application (GPU & CPU)

negative

n00b
Joined
Sep 2, 2006
Messages
24
What's the proper application for AS5 on a Pentium D 950 chip and a Nvidia 7900 GT chip?

I read about putting a little rice grain size on a P4... just wondering if it's the same for the D. Also wondering if I applied it right for my Zalman VF900 install.

Thanks!
 
For a GPU core, I spread it all over with a plastic baggy...

For the CPU Core I used to use the grain method till I got some better TIM.
 
Just use a dot. That's all you really need or want. The point of AS5 is to be as thin a layer as possible and still do its job. The dot will be fine as long as the actaul HSF's contact is wide enough to spread it out.
 
I use electrical tape to mark off the area I want it to cover (so it doesn't make a mess on the sides) then spread an almost invisible layer on with an old credit card.

There's an interesting project - test different application methods and see the resulting temperature.
 
It's been done, the only impact on temperature is the thickness of your application, not the method :).
 
Back
Top