Arctic Cooling NV5

undertheradar said:
You should consider the ZalmanVF700. It mounts great (just got it). I was able to get my 6800OC up to 450Mhz today...no problem. And to dispute whoever said contrary before...it does include ramsinks...although not attached to the main sink, I see this as more of an advantage than a single plate that you have with a NV5, and the sinks do get cooled by the massive fan from the main sink anyways, as the 'flower' covers them all (much like how My CNPS 7000AlCu also cools my passive nVidia chipset on the mobo). I will continue to overclock until I think I have maxed out and let you know. FWIW, my case is a Lian Li PC-V2000 with an extra 2x120mm fans in the top...I know this case is partly the reasoin for the good OC'ing. And as for the RAM, I wouldnt worry too much about the sinks on it anyways...look at the original overclocked w/ waterblock 6800U-OC...it had only a chip block...no ram. That RAM doesnt run as hot as you might think. You might not notice with a NV5 because it all gets stuck under one large plate (which I think at this point might actually make the RAM less OCable because the GPU heats up the RAM more than the RAM heats itself IMO). Look at how much you OC regular RAM w/o adding massive cooling solutions. I can tell you that under my OCing of the 6800U, while the main fan/sink gets very hot, the smaller sinks on the ram get slightly warm in comparison. This leads me to believe that single sink solutions for cooling 6800s are at a disadvantage because even though they cool the proc better, they end up heating the RAM up more in the process. Tomorrow I will try to OC the RAM as well. I am hoping with the VF700, I can OC up to 470mhz, and maybe get the RAM up to 1200 (not pushing it far, but plenty...maybe 1300 if it looks good).

What kinda temps are you getting with the Zalman?

Mr.Dearthian

Same here on my 6800GT OC. I used to get about 55/63 with the stock Bfg Nvidia reference fan. I replaced it with the NV5 and now I get 50/56. My biggest complaint are the crappy directions and the guessing as to how much you need to tighten down the NV5. I lapped the middle of the Nv5 so that it wasn't so grainy and did the same to the ram contacts just because. I like the product but in all honesty I liked the production controls they seem to have used on their first products, the ones that worked on the 9800pro's. Very well done. Good luck.

Punisher77 said:
What brand is your card? BFG users seem to be happy but I have yet to find a non-BFG user that has had a great experience with the NV5.

Chalk one up.. works awesome on my eVGA 6800 GT, 430/1150 @ 48-50c idle.

eVGA 6800GT running at 400 / 1150 (stable at 430/1180, but backed it off just a bit for peace or mind) and idling at 48-50. No problems here...your mileage may vary.

What the hell? Why are your temps so low...my BFG 6800 GT "OC" is idling around 55*C and 67* load....at 370/1000.

Circuitbreaker8 said:
What the hell? Why are your temps so low...my BFG 6800 GT "OC" is idling around 55*C and 67* load....at 370/1000.

Better cooling in my case I imagine... 2x74cfm 120mm fans.

Punisher77 said:
What brand is your card? BFG users seem to be happy but I have yet to find a non-BFG user that has had a great experience with the NV5.

Look at my sig. I'm a happy NV5 owner. :)

Also, most cards are based on the reference design...so PNY, eVGA, BFG, and any other card which shares the design should have similar results.

I'm loving my NV5 also. Took me two tries to get it right though.
Used standard thermal compound on the ram, and arctic silver 5 on the GPU.

Running easily at 425/1.10
Idle: 51ºC
Load: 72ºC

| BFG6800GTOC | NV Silencer 5 | 50C idle, 64C load | Default clock on card (I can run 431/1130 stable but I paid too much for this thing to burn it up) |

I got the NVS5 for $25 at MicroCenter of all places. Installed with AtcticSilver5 without any issue, great contact with RAM and GPU. I didn't layer the AS5 on the RAM or GPU, I applied it just like I do on all CPU's I've ever installed, a small drop of AS5 directly in the center and let the heatsink smash the AS5 evenly.

The biggest advantage of this cooler for me was the fact that it is almost totally silent (the stock cooler was the loudest thing in my case) and that it provides extra exaust. Now my computer is barley audible. By switching over to this cooler EVERYTHING in my case (LianLi PC-V100B) is running cooler.

Highly recommended.

Well either the NV5 doesn't work with Chaintech cards or I got a crappy NV5. I sent it back for RMA and I'm getting another one.

I was scared to with my NV5
I put it on my BFG 6800GT and it fit perfect...I pulled it off once after I put it on and the thermal goo was perfect squares so i got very good contact it seems and only put a nice thin layer on like it said. i dropped about 7c

How about leadtek owners, does it fit right? I OCed mine and get 58 idle and 70 load. I haven't used the NV5 but I'm thinking about it.

provoko said:
How about leadtek owners, does it fit right? I OCed mine and get 58 idle and 70 load. I haven't used the NV5 but I'm thinking about it.

The Leadtek has that huge copper cooler, right? The Silencer probably won't cool any better, but it will vent the hot air out of the case, which might lower ambient temperatures a little. Might be quieter, too.

CastleBravo said:
The Leadtek has that huge copper cooler, right? The Silencer probably won't cool any better, but it will vent the hot air out of the case, which might lower ambient temperatures a little. Might be quieter, too.

My case goes from 35 idle to 38-40c load. And I'm not sure if it's the leadtek. Is it possible to make my own duct (ghetto mod) through the pci slots like the nv5 silencer has? Hehe.

I just installed the NV5 on my eVGA 6800GT. I did it for noise reasons, not to get better cooling but I am now idleing at 50C. Don't know what load is. This thing is MUCH quieter than the stock cooling solution. Heck, I may even OC this card now.

About tightening it, I did tighten one of the screws too much and it broke off...arghh.. That's okay though, with 3 of the screws on really tight, my temps are still lower than stock which was around 58C idle.

Punisher77 said:
That just reeks of bad quality control...

No, it reeks of overtightening. After putting mine on, I can see how you could cross-thread a screw if you weren't careful, or overtighten one and snap the head off. Not like that can't happen with some other types of screws, esp. if you ream on one.

Deftones290 said:
mm.. you'd still have to be going at it pretty hard to break one..

Yeah, the only time I've broken a screw it was from Ikea. ;) I think it was some kind of F-grade metal...

Yeah, what happened was I was using a small screwdriver to tighten it until I couldn't twist it anymore, but my temps were idling around 60 - same as stock. So I pulled out a bigger screwdriver and was able to get a few more turns on each of the screws. Well, I guess one of them couldn't take it hehe. It was a bit hard to tell how much is too much because of the rubber grommets between the nut and the board. Still...stupid me. At least it turned out okay.

Back