Arctic Cooling Freezer 64

metallicafan

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - May 2010
Hello -

I just bought a new AM2 motherboard and CPU to put in an old case that I had laying around. I bought a AC Freezer 64 to put on the CPU. Yesterday after I had installed the cooler, I noticed that the pressure from the cooler was actually bending the motherboard. When you look across the top of the motherboard you can see the board actually bend in the area of the CPU.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? Will this hurt my motherboard?
Thanks.

Heatsinks need to have tension to make sure it has full contact... some people actually do this on purpose because it does get better cooling.

Boards have flex to them, if they were stiffer they'd be brittle and you'd see a lot more broken motherboards... Shit I've dropped videocards/soundcards/motherboards before... haha... nothings broken on me yet...

I'm betting mine does it too, but I can't tell because I installed the motherboard into the case first...

Heatsinks need to have tension to make sure it has full contact... some people actually do this on purpose because it does get better cooling.

Boards have flex to them, if they were stiffer they'd be brittle and you'd see a lot more broken motherboards... Shit I've dropped videocards/soundcards/motherboards before... haha... nothings broken on me yet...

I'm betting mine does it too, but I can't tell because I installed the motherboard into the case first...

I'm sure people do this. Yeah I know that boards have flex to them and that heatsinks need tension to cool. Thanks. What I'm asking is this: Will the bend in my motherboard shorten its life span at all? I have a heavy aftermarket cooler but is this bending normal? I guess I was jsut wondering if anyone else has expereinced this.
Thanks.

make sure you have all your risers skrewed in, some people only put in 1/2 of them, but your cooler isnt much heavier than alot of them out there, so your ok :) , post a picture if your worried about it, maybe you have somthing freaky going on, but a little bend isnt bad, maybe it will shorten the life of your board from 15 years to 10, either way..im sure you'll upgrade by then ;)

It's done it to mine before too. I've used several of these arctic freezer 64's in my systems. So far none of the motherboards I've installed this cooler on have ever stopped working. I don't think it's going to be a problem as long as you use all the screw holes to mount the board and make sure it doesn't flex enough to make contact with the mounting plate in your case.

Back