Arctic Cooling Accelero X2 Review

mrzeld said:
ambient temps are about 20C. before adding the fan, the GPU would get to the upper 70's (approaching 80C) and the onboard fan would get to about 40% (becoming very loud). with the fan forcing air into the GPU cooler, the temps stay in the low 70's and the onboard fan stays around 30% (much quieter).
I guess it's all relative. My ATI cooler was on at around 30% and I found it really annoying since it was the loudest component in my case. ;)

Punisher77 said:
I guess it's all relative. My ATI cooler was on at around 30% and I found it really annoying since it was the loudest component in my case. ;)
except for playing a game, my ATI cooler stays at 23% (the lowest it will go i guess) which is pretty silent. only when i play games does it get higher. then the sounds of the game usually covers most of the extra fan noise :) when the fan was getting to 40% or so, then i could hear it over the game; but at about 30% it still isn't quite loud enough to hear over the game.

i REALLY wish arctic cooling had made a DHES cooler. damn them! the problem with the X2 and my motherboard is that the X2 would blow its hot air right down onto my nvidia northbridge. not good. i will either continue to run my stock'ish setup or check out a Thermalright V1 Ultra i think. maybe a zalman vf900-cu.

mrzeld said:
i REALLY wish arctic cooling had made a DHES cooler. damn them! the problem with the X2 and my motherboard is that the X2 would blow its hot air right down onto my nvidia northbridge. not good. i will either continue to run my stock'ish setup or check out a Thermalright V1 Ultra i think. maybe a zalman vf900-cu.
Yeah, it would have made a lot more sense. They could have kept a similar design but just vented the air outside. I'm pretty happy with my setup but anyone with a PCI card won't be able to do what I'm doing. It's a good thing I have onboard sound and network. ;)

Just got my accelero x2.
Very impressed so far.
No change to mobo and cpu temps, was worried about this because of not venting outside, but it dosen't seem to be an issue.
Nice and quiet unliek the stock heatsink.
Idle temps have dropped by 20 degrees, with fan speed at 18% the card is idling at 44, was 65 before at 23%.
Will try load temps tomo.

Slo Gun said:
No change to mobo and cpu temps, was worried about this because of not venting outside, but it dosen't seem to be an issue.
Very interesting... What kind of cooling set up do you have?

Just got mine. I will be running some before and after tests that show temps from MBM 5 of all my system components. Probably post later tonight...

Punisher77 said:
Very interesting... What kind of cooling set up do you have?
I have a thermal right xp120 for the cpu, running on an asus a8n premium mobo, with the heat pipe, i also have an 80 mm fan to extract some hot air on the back of the case, and one on the front by the hard drives. My current temps at idle are 35 for cpu, 34 for mobo and 45 for graphics

Contact...check...temps...oh yeaaaaaahhhhh.

accelero.jpg

I was truly blown away by my results. All that hubbub about "hot air on your chipset" doesn't seem to hold true if the airflow's there to jet it all away.

Of course with extended gaming, I may see more of a rise. But I'm not worried. I have my hearing back. :D Oh and I only tested the Accelero at 100% because I can't hear it. :p

EDIT: Here's a pic of the case, so you can see the 2 120mm reasons the temps don't go up.

stacker.jpg

what temps have people been getting while playing games for long periods of time.

Shinryu said:
what temps have people been getting while playing games for long periods of time.
I haven't been checking mine too regularly because I seem to be getting different temps with the Catalyst Control Panel and ATITool.

I have been plaing Oblivion at Max settings 12x10, 2xAA and extra tweaks applied to increase draw distance and grass clipping distance for hours without any crashes. I'm running my card at 680/1500. So it's definitelyl running cool enough. I put my hand on the exhaust from the 80mm I installed and the air is really warm. That X1900XT really puts out some serious heat!!

I just bought a x1800xt 256MB with the Accelero X2 preinstalled for $250. I will take some pics and run some tests later next week.

Well, I've got two coming. Realy gonna have to push that heat out of there. So now it won't sound like a hairdrier, just have the equivalent of one aimed square at my mobo!

Still can't decide whether I want the stacker TC-01 or 830. Now that all my cooling is on it's way, I have to decide soon. These and a scythe ninja, quite a turn around from my single Xt and a prometia lian-li. Talk about a racket.

IMO:

annoying product. Would rather get a Silencer for the X1900s

For all it does good, blowing that hot air right onto the mobo is just poor design. You end up having to add another fan or something to exhaust or flow away that hot air anyways which increases system noise and you're nearly back where you started in the first place.

:( I hope they keep the silencer line alive and extend it to X1900. I'd swap in a second

Deusfaux said:
IMO:

annoying product. Would rather get a Silencer for the X1900s

For all it does good, blowing that hot air right onto the mobo is just poor design. You end up having to add another fan or something to exhaust or flow away that hot air anyways which increases system noise and you're nearly back where you started in the first place.

:( I hope they keep the silencer line alive and extend it to X1900. I'd swap in a second

I don't see what the big fuss is about the "hot air being blowin inside". If you have good ventilation inside your PC then its a non-issue. If you don't... then I guess it would make a difference. As for me, I have 2 X 120mm fans, one intake and one exhaust, so it should be good.

Entropy said:
I don't see what the big fuss is about the "hot air being blowin inside". If you have good ventilation inside your PC then its a non-issue. If you don't... then I guess it would make a difference. As for me, I have 2 X 120mm fans, one intake and one exhaust, so it should be good.

becaues it increases mobo/cpu temps where even the stock cooler does not. its not necessary. (as the silencer shows)

I yanked out my stock coolers and replaced them with VF700cu's (love the cards, hated the coolers so bad I couldn't wait on internet ordering, and the VF700's were all that were available locally)

My passively-cooled southbridge temp went up 10c simply going Crossfire and sandwiching the southbridge between the two cards. It went up another 4-8 degrees under extended Crossfire load when I shitcanned the stock leafblowers and installed the Zalmans. But guess what? My CPU temps didn't go up, at least not that I could measure.

So, I have cards that now run a bit cooler and a lot quieter than they did with the stock suicide inducers (GPU and PWM both), a CPU that runs just as cool, and a southbridge that's running 15 degrees hotter than it used to at peak load. Granted, I'm not OC'ing my cards much, just running the master card at XTX speeds

You know that that tells me? That heat is very localized, and is getting sucked out of the system before it has much if any impact on any other component BESIDES the poorly located southbridge chip and temp sensor. I expect the Arctic Silencer, or any other non-venting solution is going to have about the same impact on southbridge temps. And I'm not too worried about my southbridge running at 45c for extended periods of time.

The real variable here is the case design and airflow...if you're relying on the Juan Pablo Lawn Service coolers from ATI as your sole exhaust solution, then yeah, an X2 or VFXXX might be a bad idea.

Deusfaux said:
becaues it increases mobo/cpu temps where even the stock cooler does not. its not necessary. (as the silencer shows)

I see what you're saying, but for some people its a nonissue. There's a giant 120mm fan RIGHT by my southbridge, and thats blowing loads of cool air over it, I'm sure there are hundreds, if not thousands of people like me that have a Sonata case or something similar that will fix this issue.

well i have a antec P180 with the stock fans and the vga cooler not installed (not sure how much good it could do without a fan (which would be very noisy) anyways.

Back