Arctic Accelero Xtreme III/Hawaii-based boards realize their potential

dont forget the fans are connected to a molex connector, they dont work with the controller. The controller doesnt supply enough juice to keep the vrms cool.

Although i havent seen anyone restest after the 9.2 update for rpm vs pwm curve points.

Last edited:
gelid's signiture colors..

im sure you could replace the fans, although gelid manufactures their own, so they could be propriertay...

The lead designer is on one of the forums, you could ask him.

this guy: http://www.overclock.net/u/139837/tony-choi

Last edited:
my case is closed, im not worried about color.

The only thing thats stops me from doing this mod is the constant fan.

I want fan curve control.

some kind of ability to lower the temp cap in CCC would fix that but thats never going to happen.

Last edited:
Finally! The return of overclocking hardware which requires you to actually tinker! About freaking time! This is what makes overclocking fun, IMO :)

Finally! The return of overclocking hardware which requires you to actually tinker! About freaking time! This is what makes overclocking fun, IMO :)

Until you make one of those boneheaded mistakes that kills your nice, new expensive hardware. I still have nightmares about cracking the core on my old AMD K7 processor.

I cracked one CPU :) And remember the Duron OC, where you had to use the graphite pen, to connect lines? :) Though, worst thing I ever did to hardware was not putting HSF on Cyrix CPU :) and that CPU would make 290X a cool running part. But still, adding custom cooling to GPU was fun, especially when you bought, by mistake, the card that did not have reference PCB. There was only one sandwich-type cooler that fit my sapphire 800xl.

Seems we are back in those days. Now, we need proper number of coolers, and not only the "can't properly cool VRMs" Accelero, Gelid or Prolimatech

I think they connected it to the mother board fan header which is better really because it will alarm you if something go's wrong with the fans.

The only thing stopping me from getting either the Icy Vision or ACX3 is the VRM cooling. Some people say it's fine, others say it's not fine, while some say the heatsinks literally fall off after a few weeks.

I've got an AC Turbo Pro and a Turbo II strapped to a pair of 6950's, the Pro has been on since January 2011, the Turbo II since October 2011. I've moved across the world since then (with my cards in my checked luggage), have had them in and out of the system dozens of times. The VRM/RAM sinks are still secure.

That said, I've had AC units on all my cards as far back as the X1900 in 2006, the 3870, 4870, 5850 (all Crossfired), and have had a few VRM and RAM sinks come loose in that time.

The trick is to use good pressure for a minute or so when mounting, and then give them time to cure before throwing them back in the system and putting a heat load on them. At least overnight, a full day if you can stand the downtime. Thing is, most folks aren't that patient. :)

just orded a sapphire 290 and a gelid icy.

from what ive ready the gelid keeps the vrms cooler, i guess ill find out.

lol

My Icy-A heatsinks all stuck really well. I gave them good pressure and held them a bit longer than necessary. The thing people sometimes complain about are the VRM heatsinks they supply that come with screws and thermal paste cushions. Mine didn't fit at all so I just used the other spare regular heatsinks on those VRMs, as best as I could tell. For a non reference card there was a lot of guesswork. Was the 2nd time I'd done a gfx card cooler swap with like 8 years in between so not exactly a pro.

all pads on the icy2-01....

looks pretty straight forward...

i think one of the top sinks needs to be pushed up a few mm, but thats about it..

Soo the bottom line... AMD cooling solution is horrible and needs to be revised. Really curious which partner will have the best cooling option.

Back