archiving pictures and documents...

iroc409

[H]ard|Gawd
not sure where to post this, so we'll give this a whirl.

i'm looking to archive my collection of negatives, and turn my record keeping into a (virtually) paperless office. my negative at this time are much more useful to me in a digital format, and i'm considerably better at managing a digital file system than paper.

my concerns are about longevity of formats. first off, documents. i have messed around a little bit with this in the past, using the .pdf file format. this works exceptionally well, but i can't help think this may not be the best file format to store documents. perhaps an image file of some sorts would be a better alternative and not really relying on proprietary software/file formats. thoughts?

next, on the images. i plan on obtaining a dedicated film scanner (probably either this or this). my set of negatives is finite, and when the conversion process is complete, i would like to get rid of the scanner. i live in a region full of artistically-inclined people, it should be easy to reclaim a chunk of the cost.

as with the documents, i am not sure what format i should be using. i am guessing the .tif format is probably the safest. whichever it is, i would prefer as open of a standard as possible, and uncompressed. i will probably be scanning at 300DPI so the images are as versatile as possible (if not higher - but i can't think of anything off hand that would require higher than 300DPI).

anyways, if anyone has any experience with the above, i would greatly appreciate it.

Back