APU E-350 confused with Catalyst driver and underscan

AirCool

Limp Gawd
I have an ASRock E350M1 M/B with its default HD6310 (?) APU. I installed Windows 7 from scratch and tried it on a Samsung TV over HDMI and all is well. I did not install any CCC / driver. I get pixel perfect 1080p.

Now I moved the PC to a Sharp TV, again via HDMI and native 1080p. Yet, I see severe underscan and ugly pixel scaling. How come? Do I really have to install CCC?

BTW, what is the latest driver for the E-350 APU? I heard 12.4 is the latest and I see there are 2 flavors (I'm using Windows 7 64-bit). One with suffix *dd_cc.exe and the other with ddd_ccc_whql_net4.exe. What are their differences?

some tv's have different default settings, some tv's the drivers don't recognize and use a generic setting on them.. so yeah i'd say install CCC and manually set the underscan settings. the APU's use the same drivers the desktop gpu's use so just grab the latest WHQL drivers. should be the 12.10 first download link. http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64.aspx

I ended up getting the non-WHQL version of 12.4. I still have no idea what the differences are. Why having 2 version, etc.

The underscan does get resolved. But I also enabled up installing 100+MB of stuffs. I don't like it at all.

Why did you go with the non-whql?

Get the 12.10 and just install the drivers, you don't have to install CCC

Because I did it before your reply!

But seriously, why is the WHQL driver so huge?
What is the .NET 4.0 for?
How do I skip CCC?
If I skip CCC, can I still tweak underscan?

Apologize in advance for a lot of questions.

When you install it, you should be able to go into custom install and simply uncheck the CCC. .net 4.0 is for CCC, but it's something alot of other programs need aswell, so I'd let that go in.

As for tweaking underscan, I'm not sure. Haven't ever done it on my 4850. Never needed to. You may be able to install CCC just to tweak the settings, then uninstall it.

I have an ASRock E350M1 M/B with its default HD6310 (?) APU. I installed Windows 7 from scratch and tried it on a Samsung TV over HDMI and all is well. I did not install any CCC / driver. I get pixel perfect 1080p.

Now I moved the PC to a Sharp TV, again via HDMI and native 1080p. Yet, I see severe underscan and ugly pixel scaling. How come? Do I really have to install CCC?

BTW, what is the latest driver for the E-350 APU? I heard 12.4 is the latest and I see there are 2 flavors (I'm using Windows 7 64-bit). One with suffix *dd_cc.exe and the other with ddd_ccc_whql_net4.exe. What are their differences?

This is a tv setting, nothing to do with your driver. You need to turn off overscan on your tv. On some tvs renaming or setting the input to 'pc' will do this.

Not true. I changed the TV viewing mode to pixel by pixel long back.

Besides, I was having underscan, not overscan. However, it is possibly a bad decision by ATI that HDMI output should be default to underscan as most TVs overscan.

Just want to post an update that after uninstalling CCC, I am able to keep the underscan setting to 0. All without the messy CCC driver. The 12.4 CCC actually cause problem with HDMI audio after resume from sleep.

A lot of the drivers after 12.3 don't set underscan correctly, even after you manually adjust it. After a reboot or waking from standby/sleep, the underscan reverts back to the negative setting (I forget the value). One of the more recent drivers actually listed a fix for the underscan issue(and it was fixed in that version, but HDMI audio was still buggy).

Back