Apps for Vista Ultimate x64

matsuya

Gawd
Is Windows Defender sufficient for spyware/malware? If not, what should I use?

Should I use NOD32 for anti-virus since I can't use AVG Free? Or are there better alternatives?

I'm also looking for a codec pack since I can't use VLC. Is CCCP the only codec pack so far that has no issues?

For anti virus I am running VSE 8.5 from McAfee with the Anti Spyware Plugin. And it rocks off with your socks off...

I would say the other one... but that wouldn't be appropriate now would it?

But I am a bit biased I work for the Company so... ;)

Just remember Mcafee is not on the official malware program list for Vista.

Friends don't let friends use McAfee! Defender does an okay job, mixed with a good AV solution.

Lol you guys.. take a look at current testing being done. I'm not trying to shill our program because really for home use VSE is generally too expensive per seat. But it is fully tested and vetted by several labs.

Not here to argue it. Just saying I use it and it works just fine even with my games. (with poroper exclusions of course.)

But yes SOME av other than defender is HIGHLY suggested.

The reason is defender is the one everyone and there cousin making malware will work to bypass first and foremost. And since it isn't a profit point for MS they won't be as inclined to direct the resources to keep it up to date.

Firewall: I don't know of any good free ones that are out yet, so I suggest you google the built-in firewall and learn how to customize it to your needs. Its a lot better than XP's.

AV: I've used Mcafee, got tired of it. There are better solutions. Free: Avast or AVG. Paid: NOD32. All are worth it.

Spyware: As someone said, Defender does a decent job if you have other parts of the system secure. If you want something stronger, you can't go wrong with Adaware.

For anti virus I am running VSE 8.5 from McAfee with the Anti Spyware Plugin. And it rocks off with your socks off...

I would say the other one... but that wouldn't be appropriate now would it?

But I am a bit biased I work for the Company so... ;)

Please thank your company for all the money I get ripping McAfee out people's computers so it doesn't run like Molassass. Especially the AOL bundle that borks just about every system I see with it. Gonna go buy a new 37" monitor with that dough this week! :D

Well if your "customers" are installing the virusscan public product... errr whatever it is called. And don't like it. ok. They have a long way to go on making that product something for techies that is for sure. and end users are too scared to get into it. And to be flatly honest I personally don't even know what it looks like.

But if you are talking enterprise solutions. Different story. If you have a beef with that product let me know specifics and if I don't know of a solution to your particular issue then I will say so AND I will be sure to pass it on.

I already passed up an idea for a gamer targeted build of VS. I don't know if it got any real traction but my manager and his both thought it had merit. Once it gets passed to the dev group though who knows.

Seriously folks if you have real suggestions about what you want to see in an AV product let me know. If you are going to tell me it doesn't make my system slower. Well that is really impossible. But limited impact is something that can be configured. Every scan engine tries to be faster and better by default.

yea my apologies. It seems windows defender is only for spyware. Not Malware. Malware is often synonymous with virus files. So i would advise checking out some other av solutions. Are you running 64bit or 32bit?

Back