Applying what you learn from video games to fitness

Shalafi

Fully [H]
http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/14/health/video-gamers-bodybuilders-fitocracy/index.html?hpt=hp_abar

I stumbled across this article and found it interesting. I think the concept is sound, but I'm not sure how well it would work outside of the theory.

Basically, we're all gamers here, we like video games, we all play them for different reasons, but the one uniting reason is that we play them because we love them. Fun is always the bottom line, but as human beings we all like the reward factor which comes from being GOOD at a video game, as in being able to feel self-satisfied in achieving competency and being able to measure your progress in playing a game.

Well, these guys decided to apply the lessons they learned from playing games such as World of Warcraft. WoW is well known to most of you as a game that requires you to go on quests, accomplish objectives, and doing so not only levels you up, but also opens up more quests for you to complete and continue the progress of your character.

Well, in their method of getting you to achieve personal fitness on a level you may have been lacking the will to achieve is to make it appear like your quest to become physically fit is to structure it in a series of quests that you need to complete. You guessed it, complete quests to open up more objectives and quests to continue progressing, only this time, YOU are the main character, and this is real life, not a virtual collection of pixels that represents you.

I think that games like Wii Fit for the Wii were just the tip of the iceberg, but fitness games aren't new, they have existed as far back as Track & Field on the NES many years ago.

This is just a new way of getting us, a generation of gamers that are generally out of shape and the obesity rate in America is climbing into shape. It uses a structure that we, as gamers, are really familiar with to help us achieve our fitness goals.

It helps you feel like you're accomplishing something by making you see quests as a personal goal and you're able to measure your progress by "leveling up".

Seems like a neat concept, what do you guys think after reading the article?

I think what it proves is that video games aren't "evil" or "bad" as the mainstream media likes to popularly portray, but instead, they can be used for good benefit to the rest of us outside of the entertainment they provide us with.

Seems like more work than just following a workout schedule.

[rant]

The Wii fit is not exercise. There is a difference between getting off your (not you, just people in general) ass and doing something and real exercise.

[/rant]

in game my avatars run freaking everywhere...and carry about 250 pounds of crap

wanna lose weight, go to the gym and stop eating like a fatass.
everyone can do it, all you gotta do is do it.

I don't think I need an "achievement" unlock on a fitness site to make me wanna lose weight.

Interesting idea for motivation but overweight people (or nerds in this case) won't commit to losing weight until they are ready to , doubtful a gamer designed weight loss program will change that.

I was a long time gamer and from personal experience I can say that games(such as FPSes and MMOs) wont improve your thinking, reactions, or motivations. The true is they doing exact opposite, you either may become addicted, aggressive or not interested in normal life at all. So if there is someone who was a hardcore gamer and went to be a bodybuilder, he probably realised that's not his way and changed himself completely.

I was a long time gamer and from personal experience I can say that games(such as FPSes and MMOs) wont improve your thinking, reactions, or motivations. The true is they doing exact opposite, you either may become addicted, aggressive or not interested in normal life at all. So if there is someone who was a hardcore gamer and went to be a bodybuilder, he probably realised that's not his way and changed himself completely.

Yep, I agree. The only link I could see between gaming and getting fit is the grinding aspect in MMOs :p

I dont see how you "learn" anything from gaming that is beneficial in getting fit and exercising that you wouldn't have learnt if you, ummm, just did some exercise or played a sport? ;)

Yeah sure, in exercise its benificial to set goals and achievements for yourself, or do things competitively. Just getting fit for the sake of getting fit I find difficult to maintain, but when I throw some goals and competition in, it helps motivate me... but I dont really see the link with games other than a very hazy similarity in that effort in = reward out.

http://www.fitocracy.com/

I think I have some invite codes if they're still required.

EDIT: Turns out although I have the invites, they don't show as a code on my page - they are generated when I send an invite to an email address, so if you want one PM me with the email account you want it sent to.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/ld70u/anyone_have_any_extra_fitocracy_invites/c2rpnf2

There's also that in case anyone else wants them, since I only have ten and most are now gone (I don't know how many are actually gone until they are redeemed).

Last edited:
you need a quest to stay in shape?

here's one, eat healthy and go to the gym 3-4 times a week and push your heartrate to at least the 150's for 45-90 minutes.

This is actually kind of handy, since I do work out, I eat ok, but I'm absolutely terrible at maintaining a workout schedule. A workout plan that's not that boring and I can update online is a great idea. Jelly, can I get one of those invites off you?

This is actually kind of handy, since I do work out, I eat ok, but I'm absolutely terrible at maintaining a workout schedule. A workout plan that's not that boring and I can update online is a great idea. Jelly, can I get one of those invites off you?

PMed. It's pretty cool because it introduces an element of competition. Just gives you a touch more incentive to work at it.

I'd like an invite code too Jelly, I only found that last night from the article, but I don't have a code.

a workout RPG?
I'm actually surprised this hasn't been thought of before, especially in Japan.

Jelly, toss me an invite, good sir. I workout regularly and that site looks like a great way for me to actually keep up with my progress.

[rant]

The Wii fit is not exercise. There is a difference between getting off your (not you, just people in general) ass and doing something and real exercise.

[/rant]
For many people (just looks around while you are at work) doing Wii Fit is more exercise than they have had in years. If you have 50+ lbs to lose you can't start out on weights like a maniac, you need to work up to it.

I had a friend that lost 80 lbs over a year just by playing DDR. So yeah, Wii Fit isn't a bad cardio workout at all.

It's pretty easy.

#1 Find an active hobby, like mountain biking. Set goals to get faster, ride longer, etc. Picking workouts just to lose weight commonly ends in quitting. These should be real goals, not meaningless metrics that are tied to some dumb point system.

#2 Put down the damn fork. I see other pot bellied cyclists that also put in 5000 miles of riding a year. It doesn't make a damn difference if your caloric intake is higher than your expenditure.

lol... buy a tub of whey, some creatine and learn to squat / bench. thread over!

I can't I don't know where the hell site A is in my town. There aren't any large groups of nazis occupying a beach nearby either.

Working out generally involves discomfort. No pain, no gain.

Gaming does not. In fact, you can wear a beer hat while reclined comfortably and eating cheez wiz out of a can with the gaming acting as mental stimulation to boot. Its all good feelings, man. So the whole quest thing for working out = failsauce. But don't worry, my genius mind has a proposal:

Legalize prostitution but ONLY at fitness centers where happy ending is a reward for following the day's routine.

This works with my pets, not the sex part, but positive reinforcement where they get a treat immediately after positive action.

IMO, you'd have a country full of cast standbys for a 300 sequel.

This is true for myself. I have a very obsessive personality. At points in my life that obsession has been video games (not just MMO's) and at other points it has been fitness. For most of my early 20's I was very fitness focused. Then I got a full time job and after working all day you just don't have the energy to work out, so my focus turned to video games (at the time, WoW). Then I went back to school and my focus became studying and working out again. Then after school I became focused on video games again. Then after realizing I was 30lbs overweight (yuck) and seeing myself in my best friend's wedding pictures, it was back to focusing on fitness.

Oddly, I seem incapable of doing both, it's one or the other.

I would work out regardless of Fitocracy or not, but I am an avid user of the site. Sometimes after working from 4am-1pm and then welding at school for 3 hours it provides just the little bump of motivation I need to hit the iron, or the track, which I do six days a week. And beyond just dangling a relatively pointless carrot in front of the user's face, it provides you the opportunity to join various communities with a central focus of working out. They might be based out of Reddit, or a gaming site, or 4chan, or whatever, but you can join an extension of something you're already interested in and have a place to talk fitness. I've got a buddy I lift weights with, but it's nice to have a broader spectrum of people to talk about that crap with and compare progress.

I've also got eight invites for Fitocracy, if anyone is interested, just shoot me your email addy.

This is true for myself. I have a very obsessive personality. At points in my life that obsession has been video games (not just MMO's) and at other points it has been fitness. For most of my early 20's I was very fitness focused. Then I got a full time job and after working all day you just don't have the energy to work out, so my focus turned to video games (at the time, WoW). Then I went back to school and my focus became studying and working out again. Then after school I became focused on video games again. Then after realizing I was 30lbs overweight (yuck) and seeing myself in my best friend's wedding pictures, it was back to focusing on fitness.

It's important to set yourself a goals that have a meaning for your life, while I guess most IRL challenges surpass computer games.

Fitocracy could use a calorie counter. Just did one workout and added it in, phone app will be necessary unless I feel like dragging it to the gym..... Where I haven't been to in 3 weeks....

I actually found a game that works fairly well. Ea sports active 2. It has 3 sensors, one for each arm and your leg and a heartbeat sensor. Pretty decent 30 min cardio workout. You can increase the difficulty by having it do more reps or by increasing weight or resistance. Puts you on a schedule too. It also doesnt Make you burn out like some other exercise systems do. It works out differant parts of your body each day. And its set to a series of games. Mountain biking reminded me quite a bit to the workout I did in football back in high school...I thought I was through with squat jumps

I do that hyperfocus shit too. Only I tend to switch subjects a lot faster. One week it will be books, then computer hardware, then programming, then swimming, then motorcycles...

/twitch.

I have been able to find a nice medium balance between my gaming habits and fitness habits. If I miss more than 3 days of workout, I refuse to sit in the computer chair. I *force* myself to go out to the gym. When I get done, I feel like a million bucks and head back home to turn on my computer and get my reward. Positive reinforcement like this keeps me going back and doing the right thing. Now I am no bodybuilder, but I am in much better shape and I feel more confident than I ever have.

I used to do work outs in between games of starcraft then I hurt the crap out of my back, video games and intense bursts of exercise dont mix at least thats what my chiropractor keeps telling me.

More than likely going to exercise if there is a reward, or goal at the end of the routine, for myself it's the knowledge I gain of training, for someone else, it could be a carrot, or being able to buy something they like.

I used to do work outs in between games of starcraft then I hurt the crap out of my back, video games and intense bursts of exercise dont mix at least thats what my chiropractor keeps telling me.

Just as well Chiropractors generally have as much medical credibility as an old fungal gym sock.

Just as well Chiropractors generally have as much medical credibility as an old fungal gym sock.

No, I think his chiripractor is correct in this case. I tried doing exercise between rounds in games like, twice, before concluding its a terrible idea. The last thing you want to do after a couple of minutes of exercise is to sit almost frozen for 10+ minutes while playing a round of a video game then try and do a couple more minutes of exercise. You're just asking for trouble.

Go for a walk between rounds and get some fresh air, no doubt that's a good thing to do, but any form of strenuous exercise between rounds in a video game is just asking for trouble.

I think that people who are competitive can learn to get good at anything. I find that when playing games the best gamers are often also athletes and decent at other things like school. I find that you can learn alot about how to be a good gamer from sports and at the same time you can learn how to become a good athlete from PC gaming. I personally really understood how to become great at something only after I had done extensive PC gaming. I am still able to apply it to everything in life even work.

Here are some things that PC gaming teaches you if you do it and are competitive.

1 How to learn a totally new skill set fast. Compare PC gaming to a sport like basketball or soccer. In PC gaming a game lasts all of about 6 months before the crowds die down. Games are often very different forcing you to learn totally new ways to manipulate the keyboard and think about reacting to others. The game of soccer on the other hand has not changed in basic function for over 100 years. You can start learning it slow and never need to change till of course you switch to basketball. In either case what ever sports you play you tend to spend your whole life learning them.

2. For most of your life your limitations are physical at first you are too small to compete and very quickly you become to old and slow. Video games on the other hand do not care how big you are so you can peak alot faster. Alot of the best gamers in any game I ever played were too young to even compete in the competitions which required you be 17.

3. Unlimited competition. In most sports the vast majority of people take a long time to reach their full potential because competition is limited. You might have a super soccer player but he is being hampered by his local team. Unless his family is willing to move to a new area (which some do) he misses the ability to play with and against other people of similar skill except maybe 1 or 2 times a season when he goes against another player on another good team. In PC gaming you can join a clan with players from anywhere in the country if not the world online from your house and compete at any level within a month or so of playing a game. And teams break and form based on talent more than location in most cases. You have the chance in your game to press yourself to your physical limits and see what it takes to get there no matter who you are if you have an internet connection.

4 Phychological implications, look people who only have an online presense show or react to their emotions more and faster than they would if they saw a person face to face. This may seem like a bad thing but you can learn from it. You can see how people react in a competitive or social situation. People steal, cheat, lie. Clans break up get back together and so on. After gaming I can do a better job looking at someone and knowing how they really feel and what they really want to do than ever before even though they cannot show it publicly. It helps you in various ways in life. You also get to see that when people do not have social acceptance as a pressure what their personality is really like.

5 Unlimited practice. Ya, think that people get better at video games faster because most of them do not physically exhaust you. I know lots of people my self included who could game strait for a whole weekend with very few breaks for food and so on. You just can't do that in physical sports because your body gets sore and wears out. In that time you are learning what does and does not work. Also you are not limited by daylight hours or other peoples schedules as much if you get on at any time you can play.

Another positive about PC gaming is to think about what the alternative is. You know before everyone got all pissy about addicted gamers everyone was talking about the couch potatoe generation. And I have to say that if I care about someone I would far rather they be PC gaming than sitting on the couch watching TV. At least they are interacting with the world and a system to learn and not just being spoon fed garbage. ANd just like television some games are more simulating than others as some TV is probably better than other TV. I would rather my children grow up playing competitive FPS games like HLDM than watching TV or playing some brain dead sims game. But I would also point out I would rather they play a brain dead sims game than watch watching some horrible MTV reality show. Perhaps I would rather they watch the discovery than play the sims game though. At those times in the evening most people are not going to be out playing some sport. And if they are gaming especially PC gaming not consoles, they are learning how to use and manipulate computers which is a good learning experience period.

I actually have alot more but I think these things sort of show that you can use video gaming as a sort of training ground for real life even though most people will laugh at you for claiming that. Video games certainly have negative aspects as well just like anything in life you have to learn to pull the good out and limit the bad.

Last edited:
No, I think his chiripractor is correct in this case. I tried doing exercise between rounds in games like, twice, before concluding its a terrible idea. The last thing you want to do after a couple of minutes of exercise is to sit almost frozen for 10+ minutes while playing a round of a video game then try and do a couple more minutes of exercise. You're just asking for trouble.

Go for a walk between rounds and get some fresh air, no doubt that's a good thing to do, but any form of strenuous exercise between rounds in a video game is just asking for trouble.

I should clarify: that is absolutely solid and I am not contesting that. But that is common sense and has as much to do with medical knowledge as a physicist saying a fat person will go lower on a see-saw than a skinny person. Or something. I don't fucking know, I'm drunk. Point is chiropractors are not real medical professionals.

Recently starting working out heavily (5 times a week)

I be leveling up my STAM and END yo.

Back