• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

applying thermal adhesive? how to?

MysticX23

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 2, 2003
Messages
285
i'm about to put a fatty(well, its big, but not heavy, just thin) heatsink on my 8500 for passive cooling. i have some thermal adhesive from zalman left over, but not sure if i have enuf. how would i apply it? thick or thin? ...if i apply a thin (which is the only thing i can do at the moment) are there draw backs? any substitutions I can use such as crazy glue? also should i mix it with any arctic ceramique or will that ruin it? hhaaha...just curious. i'm gonna do it sooon.
 
just read about the actic silver adhesive. mix 50 - 50 A and B, then apply a THIN layer, like i would for regular thermal grease. but zalman's instructions are different. they say to apply A on the heatsink, B on the chipset, then put them together. but they don't say thin or thick. any suggestions?
 
Get some AS5 on that heatsink. Just apply a thin layer on the processor core, and install. AS5 is the best stuff out there right now and is wonderful for whatever you need.

For what you have right now, I would put a thin application on the core and just leave it at that. Thin is much better than thick anyway. Go with the AS directions, thermal pase is harder to work with than thermal grease, and I would think it would be better to just apply to the processor, then stick the heatsink on.

Good Luck!

-OMP
 
not..i'm not talking about the thermal paste/grease...the ADHESIVE!

and i only have zalman's thermal adhesive. i'm wondering if it should be thin, like i would do for the paste/grease.??


also, just read somewhere that we can put thermal paste in the middle and adhesive around the edges..yes/no?
 
When I say paste, I mean adhesive. I just associate paste with sticky (i.e. glue/adhesive) while grease isn't.

I think it would be better to get the 'adhesive' on the core only, then put the heatsink on. Less worries and less problems that way.
 
Back
Top