apply thermal paste

free samples ftw
Heck yeah! :cool: One of these days I'll have to stop being lazy and get a sample. Just can't be assed to do a remount, again.

I've always just applied a rice-grain sized drop in the center of the IHS and let the heatsink do the work.

FAQ
Application Notes -Amount of Applied Compound

There is always some debate on amount of applied compound to use, our approach is based on a best to worst case scenario with a one size fits all so the user can experience best odds of a successful mount out of the gate without having to redo his mount.

Say that Intel has a spec of Flat and parallel // to .002. - At the extreme end you get something like the 2 images of the candidate below, to fill that gap/volume you need .05 ml volume of compound for a 30mmk X30mm area about the size of a grain of rice.

worstcase1.png
worstcase2.png

Our difference with the rice method comes from the other side of the equation The heat sink base, while many HS bases are good some can be off as much as the IHS and to cover the contingency of irregular contour on both sink & IHS and as few people lap to correct the problem (5%?)and fewer lap to perfection we add another .05 ml for a total of 0.1ml.

Another factor associated with irregular contours is another mil or two layer of compound is added on the high spots depending on the pressure applied. To fill that gap we add another .05 ml for a total recommended amount of 1.5 ml which approx. equals our 5-5.5mm size bead on center.

Thermal compound is a volume application to fill gaps, not one of weight, liquid spread-ability etc. and our view that whatever the compound you still need the equivalent volume to close that gap.

Flatnessnote.jpg

Additionally it is important to apply enough compound, because as the paste thins it spreads it reaches a maximum zone where air is reformed into the paste application between the sink and his leading to decreased performance and early compound failure
http://innovationcooling.com/applicationinstructions.htm

[H] is wrong the pea size drop is the best method. It works perfect with IC Diamond every time. Anybody wanna try it out for their GPUs or CPUs PM me your name, email, and address for a free sample.
pretty harsh words,

do you have thermal testing of various pastes that show otherwise (preferably the same pastes [H] tested in that article)?

I mean, i still agree with you, i pretty much always use the pea method simply because i think it gives me less chance to screw up.

i dont use the pea method because of any real world advantage in performance that may exist between the two methods. I was always under the assumption it's a toss up if both methods are done correctly.

[H] is wrong the pea size drop is the best method. It works perfect with IC Diamond every time. Anybody wanna try it out for their GPUs or CPUs PM me your name, email, and address for a free sample.

just posting my findings. I got the IC diamond and holy crap that stuff is thick. i dont think i ever seen such a thick paste. it also hardens and peels off if you try and spread it with a razerblade. but i also want to mention if you do the peasize amount, it will not spread over the entire HS. it will spead to about a nickel size and remain at about a dime thickness, and thats with a huge HS pressing it down i imagine a retail HS will be even worse.

just posting my findings. I got the IC diamond and holy crap that stuff is thick. i dont think i ever seen such a thick paste. it also hardens and peels off if you try and spread it with a razerblade. but i also want to mention if you do the peasize amount, it will not spread over the entire HS. it will spead to about a nickel size and remain at about a dime thickness, and thats with a huge HS pressing it down i imagine a retail HS will be even worse.

Just curious, did you run your system a bit after the initial application? Possibly it would spread out a bit more when heat was applied.

Back