Application Server

evilmonkey

Limp Gawd
I don't know if that's the right word for it, but what I want to do is have one computer on my network have applications such as irc/office/aim or gaim and all the other computers in the house to be able to use and save stuff to that single computer. I may use other applications but I'm not sure at the moment. Any ideas, even if it's saying it can't be done are appreciated.

-m

To use this, I believe you have to remote desktop to the sever to be able to use the application.. However; with Win 2000/2003 server, you can have more than one person connected at one time. Is this what you want?

It won't work for office for sure I don't know about the others but Office needs to be installed
on the clients machine.

No it doesn't.

You might check out terms like "thin client, thin-client server computing, etc."

Examples can be found for like almost every OS.

StickyLoad said:
Terminal services running in application mode.
Along with a program like Citrix, I think (Citrix WinFrame and MS Terminal Server network).

BlownFuse said:
Along with a program like Citrix, I think (Citrix WinFrame and MS Terminal Server network).
You don't need Citrix. What you do need is Windows Server (with CALS) and Terminal Server Licensing (TS-CALS).

ipconfig /all said:
You don't need Citrix. What you do need is Windows Server (with CALS) and Terminal Server Licensing (TS-CALS).
Cool. I didn't know that Windows could be so self-sufficient.
So what would be the easiest way to set it up then? I kind of assumed Citrix would be the easiest.

BlownFuse said:
Cool. I didn't know that Windows could be so self-sufficient.
So what would be the easiest way to set it up then? I kind of assumed Citrix would be the easiest.

Well, as was said above, you'll need a windows server box running terminal services in application mode. You should also have another server acting as your DC, as it isn't recommended that you run TS in app mode on a DC. This is pretty expensive, however. If you aren't too worried about security, you could run it off the same box.

If i had the money and wanted to do this I would get the following: 2 servers, 1 copy of windows sbs 2k3, 1 copy of server 2k3. SBS will be your DC, and its cheaper than a 5 cal copy of just normal 2k3. Plus, now you have your own exchange server, etc. The 2k3 server will be a member server to the domain and serve as the TS server.

Of course at this point it may be cheaper just to buy the apps for the client boxes, as you're looking at 1k just for the server licenses.

well i must say you guys have helped out quite a bit, sounds like i need to do a bit of research but now that you've basically layed out the order for me, i'm confident i'll be able to work something out. thanks a bunch.

Back