AppleTV for XBMC

Loki008

2[H]4U
I am looking to make the switch from Windows MCE over to XBMC as i am starting to get frustrated with the codec support especially with MKV and xbox extenders. Now that XBMC is starting to offer live TV it is starting to become a viable option for me.

I am looking for something that can act as an inexpensive media streamer. From what i have googled the First and Second gen Apple TV's seem to fit the bill nicely in terms of XBMC support and capabilities. My question is which is the better option for running XBMC on, the first gen with a Broadcom CrystalHD upgrade, or the second gen.

Other recommended devices would be appreciated, I am mainly looking for a box that can be had inexpensively and that will run XBMC smoothly.

Thanks

I am looking to make the switch from Windows MCE over to XBMC as i am starting to get frustrated with the codec support especially with MKV and xbox extenders. Now that XBMC is starting to offer live TV it is starting to become a viable option for me.

I am looking for something that can act as an inexpensive media streamer. From what i have googled the First and Second gen Apple TV's seem to fit the bill nicely in terms of XBMC support and capabilities. My question is which is the better option for running XBMC on, the first gen with a Broadcom CrystalHD upgrade, or the second gen.

Other recommended devices would be appreciated, I am mainly looking for a box that can be had inexpensively and that will run XBMC smoothly.

Thanks

What resolution you looking to do 720p or 1080p? The first two Apple TV's can only output up to 720p, but the new one can do 1080p (I believe its XBMC compatible now). I was looking into this solution a year and half ago, before the new Apple TV that does 1080p came out and didn't go through it because of this reason.

What resolution you looking to do 720p or 1080p? The first two Apple TV's can only output up to 720p, but the new one can do 1080p (I believe its XBMC compatible now). I was looking into this solution a year and half ago, before the new Apple TV that does 1080p came out and didn't go through it because of this reason.

I have an older 50" 720p plasma so 1080p is not a huge concern. As for the first gen apple TV with the broadcom crystalHD card and the full install of xbmcbuntu rather than the iOS app i believe that full 1080p is possible from my googling.

Back