Apple’s New MacBooks Officially A Flop, Windows PCs Take High-End Market Share

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
While there may be a little bit of a bias here, coming from a site called MSPoweruser, Microsoft’s own CFO did in fact reveal that “pricy Windows machines are beating out Apple more often than previously.” This is also backed up by recent financial data, which saw gains due to a higher mix of premium devices. I guess what this means is that the Surface line has been a huge hit, and Panos is getting an even bigger desk. As morale continues to lift, you can be sure that the profits of Windows OEMs will benefit as well.

The result of Apple taking its eye off the ball has been the recent release at the end of October 2016 of the new Macbook Pro, with its biggest innovation being the touch bar and the removal of a large number of essential ports, to be replaced with USB-C slots, resulting in the device being famously slated as another example of Apple’s “dongle-hell” obsession. Now Microsoft ‘s CFO Amy Hood has confirmed that this malaise has resulted in Windows OEMs making gains in Apple’s so far hallowed high margin terrain. Microsoft’s financial results also confirmed as much, noting that Windows licensing revenue from OEMs for consumer devices grew 5% primarily due to a higher mix of premium devices. Microsoft famously claimed that with the announcement of the Surface Studio, which caused many to claim Microsoft is more innovative than Apple, and Apple’s announcement of the disappointing MacBook Pro “more and more Mac users were switching to Surface.”

Last edited:
not really surprised. We discussed here not too long ago about how you couldn't change anything and had limited choices with the macbooks. Some people tried to defend the choices, but it appears that the user base has spoken and decided to buy Microsoft instead.

I don't think Apple cares about their desktop/laptop lineup anymore, when was the last time that garbage bin looking Mac Pro costing way to much money copped a hardware upgrade?

At least the cheesegrater Mac Pro desktops looked classy.

It'll take a bit for Apple to convince me to upgrade my 2012 Mac Mini, as far as Mac's go that little things a ripper!

I don't think so. This is the same argument used for years with Android vs iOS. iOS market share contracted but they were selling record amounts. You need actual numbers comparing this years MBP vs last years to make the argument that it's a flop. That said, the prices are ridiculous this time around, and every reviewer has said as much. Also using AMD GPU's is laughable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think so. This is the same argument used for years with Android vs iOS. iOS market share contracted but they were selling record amounts. You need actual numbers comparing this years MBP vs last years to make the argument that it's a flop. That said, the prices are ridiculous this time around, and every reviewer has as much. Also using AMD GPU's is laughable.

I think the Macbook Pro here in AU is ~$2600.00!

Are you serious?!

Now all we need is XCode on the Windows platform and there won't be a need to buy a Mac. The only reason to buy a Mac these days is if you plan on developing iOS apps but with XCode on Windows there won't be a need for that.

Better yet, if Apple isn't interested in making desktop computers anymore make MacOS an open OS in the sense that one doesn't need Mac hardware to use it. I would in a heartbeat load MacOS instead of Windows on my desktop.

No, but Nvidias GPUs are light years ahead of AMD in terms of mobile due to power consumption. An RX480 uses as much as a 1070 or even 1080, you're going to have to cut that down a lot to get it to work in a laptop.

Main reason I went with an Nvidia card for my new "quiet" build.
Less heat means I can use lower speed fans which means less noise.

I'm seriously thinking about selling my rMBP 13" and buying a Surface. If I do, however, it most likely will sit on my desk, gathering dust like just my Mac. :p

Traveling a ton more for work, I picked up a new 13" MacBook Pro with touchbar with a $200 discount which is still about $200 more than it should be. My old 2010 MacBook Pro 17" is still going strong with only an SSD install on the maintenance end of things. The hard drive on the new MacBook Pro is screaming, Touch ID is very useful with Apple Pay and since I'm firmly entrenched in the Apple eco system; it made sense for me.

All that said, they need a shake up and pour that cash stockpile into some serious innovation; hopefully battery technology.

It's sad cuz I have the 15" Touch Bar version (from work of course) and it's really not a bad device, it's just not a MacBook Pro device. I would have happily given up ~the millimeters~ they shaved off to get the Magsafe and some more battery.

Those laptops are not "Pro" devices, yet are priced as such.

They need to reset their offerings.

All Crapple needs to do to really become the champ is to focus on enterprise software. Management software, productivity software, clean up their (IMO) usability issues. I keep seeing all these OS upgrades w/o any really upgrade. What the hell are they doing? Put some of that money into improving (IMO) your shit software and you win. Hell, jump into the server world and damn, there is a huge new market for you.

not really surprised. We discussed here not too long ago about how you couldn't change anything and had limited choices with the macbooks. Some people tried to defend the choices, but it appears that the user base has spoken and decided to buy Microsoft instead.
I think it has more to do with the fact that the last release lacked new, earth shaking, features and also were, once again, using the last generation Intel CPU/Chipset. I'm not a mac user, but I've considered getting one, but every time I look, they're behind the curve. Now I'm not sure I'd get a surface (they're super expensive too), but the Dell XPS 15 is nice and relatively cheap if you wait for a sale at the MS store (and if you're inclined to get a warranty, MS's is way better than Dell's and I suspect Apple's, but I've never priced that one.

I think it has more to do with the fact that the last release lacked new, earth shaking, features and also were, once again, using the last generation Intel CPU/Chipset. I'm not a mac user, but I've considered getting one, but every time I look, they're behind the curve. Now I'm not sure I'd get a surface (they're super expensive too), but the Dell XPS 15 is nice and relatively cheap if you wait for a sale at the MS store (and if you're inclined to get a warranty, MS's is way better than Dell's and I suspect Apple's, but I've never priced that one.

I want an XPS 13, beautiful device.

With a fucking Surfacebook being $1300 right now I am not remotely surprised. Most innovative laptop i've seen in years.

The Surface Book is a wonderful piece of hardware. It certainly had it's issues with it first launched, the combination of Skylake and it's new power management features, the dual GPUs and the detaching mechanism were a lot of things to throw into a first gen device and it wasn't as solid as it should have been. But the level of innovation it still made it very interesting. Fortunately all of those early issues were resolve but it did take about 5 months. But I very much looking forward to the Surface Book 2.

When the article is long on conjecture and short on data.

Also is it really surprising that a new player shaves percentage points off an existing and stagnant manufacturer?

I know when I bought my only Apple computer (2013 Air) there didn't really exist a competitive product from MS/their builders. I'd definitely end up with either a xps13 or a surfacebook now.

But again, not really surprising that people given the choice might buy a different ecosystem, I would have.

Or... Apple users are still using their current Macbooks and dont see a reason to upgrade... jesus hardocp is turning into a clickbait whorehouse reposting these articles with 0 evidence.

Or... Apple users are still using their current Macbooks and dont see a reason to upgrade... jesus hardocp is turning into a clickbait whorehouse reposting these articles with 0 evidence.

Yes but why are they not upgrading, when Apple "fans" are known to jump for joy and wait days in lines to get the latest and greatest gear that every other maker has had out for months to years already...

Yes but why are they not upgrading, when Apple "fans" are known to jump for joy and wait days in lines to get the latest and greatest gear that every other maker has had out for months to years already...

Just because you think it so, doesn't make it true. Contrary to popular belief, Apple users don't throw away their laptops/computers every year and get a new one. People DO generally get new iPhones ever year or every two years, but most people get new phones more often. My 3 year old 13" MBPr still works as well as it did when it was brand new and the battery still lasts just as long. I don't see myself replacing it anytime soon.

LOL contrary to what Windows laptop users might think, a macbooks lifecycle is generally 3-5 years hell my old macbook retina 2012 does 4k video editing. OSX doesnt bog down like windows does.

Dont care if you think a mac looks worse spec wise, its a combination of software and hardware that makes a mac perform. Its nice having an operating system that isnt an advertising billboard either and gets free upgrades to new versions.

True, they are scheduled for 3-5 years because that is how long it takes Apple to add new hardware that is then already 2-3 years old. And when you have control of the OS and the hardware i would dam well expect it to perform better. If MS controlled the hardware, like in the past it would be efficient also, just as the Surface's are now.

Also, you may think the OS is free, but you pay for it in hardware, nothing from Apple, or MS, or any company is truely free.

Lots of things goin on here but here are a couple if find to be the most ironic. Apple has spend years cultivating their users into believing that apple makes laptops that last a long time. LOL, apple users literally think that somehow a mac is going to break the rules of computing and be more powerful longer. The irony of this means that when apple releases a new MacBook, millions of users will not be persuaded to buy them because it is a more powerful device because many converted from windows to macs because they believed they would last longer. Now as apples growth slows they see the downside of selling consumers on that idea. Their consumers just don't have any grasp of what power can do for them in a device, because they have selected for users that do not understand it or believe in fairy tales.

IMO the new macbooks look way better almost entirely due to the color than previous models. But perhaps this is double edged as PC makers have been making laptops in that color for a while and it may dilute their apparent brand.

The touch bar is cool but not really anything worth buying a device over it also has a typical apple issue, apple often makes products that are not that great because they are trying too hard to be innovated and way to hard to not admit that PC makers have a better idea in production. Think of their years of refusing to accept the 2 button mouse. Even going as far as making a 2 button mouse which looked like it only had 1 button. The touch bar is apples refusal to accept that laptops with touch screens are a desirable and intuitive feature, after all what could be more intuitive than just pointing at the button you want right where it is on the screen? Ironic given apples success in mobile. Personally I would love to see someone now days take a stab at the MS courier again, I think acer had something a while back. Pen input and touch screens have come a long way since then as have integrated graphics and battery life.

The touch bar is apples refusal to accept that laptops with touch screens are a desirable and intuitive feature, after all what could be more intuitive than just pointing at the button you want right where it is on the screen? Ironic given apples success in mobile.

Bingo.

Personally I would love to see someone now days take a stab at the MS courier again, I think acer had something a while back. Pen input and touch screens have come a long way since then as have integrated graphics and battery life.

Apple has done this in the form of the iPad Pro which I think is simply not competitive to where these kinds devices are currently in the Windows x86 space for the price.

True, they are scheduled for 3-5 years because that is how long it takes Apple to add new hardware that is then already 2-3 years old. And when you have control of the OS and the hardware i would dam well expect it to perform better. If MS controlled the hardware, like in the past it would be efficient also, just as the Surface's are now.

Also, you may think the OS is free, but you pay for it in hardware, nothing from Apple, or MS, or any company is truely free.

Incorrect, MS give you ads for free in windows 10

Bingo.

Apple has done this in the form of the iPad Pro which I think is simply not competitive to where these kinds devices are currently in the Windows x86 space for the price.

They are not desirable, laptops and tablets have a place but not together. Windows is a shit touch based OS that was never meant to do it and Apple knows this about OSX. Last thing i want is a crappy inpresice touchscreen and fingerprints all over my laptop screen.

Bingo.

The touch bar is purely used as customizable short cut key bar that allows you to keep your hands at the keyboard. It doesn't have anything to do with their blind refusal to support touch screen. But seriously they need to support touch. I'd consider a MBP that had a 2-1 factor.
They are not desirable, laptops and tablets have a place but not together. Windows is a shit touch based OS that was never meant to do it and Apple knows this about OSX. Last thing i want is a crappy inpresice touchscreen and fingerprints all over my laptop screen.
ugh...

The touch bar is purely used as customizable short cut key bar that allows you to keep your hands at the keyboard. It doesn't have anything to do with their blind refusal to support touch screen. But seriously they need to support touch. I'd consider a MBP that had a 2-1 factor.

ugh...

Name a single touchscreen laptop that matches a wacom workstation for full precise pressure sensitivity in illistrator etc. The ipad pro is a brilliant option for artists due its fine controls and im yet to see a laptop digitizer match it.

I'm seriously thinking about selling my rMBP 13" and buying a Surface. If I do, however, it most likely will sit on my desk, gathering dust like just my Mac. :p
You will regret it.

I had a SP4, and MS replaced it 4 times (I never sent them my original one in), because each time I got a replacement, it had issues that were worse than my battery life not lasting. I gave up on them completely. Apple makes high quality products, there is no doubt about it. And they have much better support than Microsoft.

Last edited:
Lots of things goin on here but here are a couple if find to be the most ironic. Apple has spend years cultivating their users into believing that apple makes laptops that last a long time. LOL, apple users literally think that somehow a mac is going to break the rules of computing and be more powerful longer. The irony of this means that when apple releases a new MacBook, millions of users will not be persuaded to buy them because it is a more powerful device because many converted from windows to macs because they believed they would last longer. Now as apples growth slows they see the downside of selling consumers on that idea. Their consumers just don't have any grasp of what power can do for them in a device, because they have selected for users that do not understand it or believe in fairy tales.

IMO the new macbooks look way better almost entirely due to the color than previous models. But perhaps this is double edged as PC makers have been making laptops in that color for a while and it may dilute their apparent brand.

The touch bar is cool but not really anything worth buying a device over it also has a typical apple issue, apple often makes products that are not that great because they are trying too hard to be innovated and way to hard to not admit that PC makers have a better idea in production. Think of their years of refusing to accept the 2 button mouse. Even going as far as making a 2 button mouse which looked like it only had 1 button. The touch bar is apples refusal to accept that laptops with touch screens are a desirable and intuitive feature, after all what could be more intuitive than just pointing at the button you want right where it is on the screen? Ironic given apples success in mobile. Personally I would love to see someone now days take a stab at the MS courier again, I think acer had something a while back. Pen input and touch screens have come a long way since then as have integrated graphics and battery life.

MACs do last longer. The O/S just out performs Windows on older hardware. My Mom still has her 2009 Mac Mini, (with an SSD, and 8gb), it still is fast for what she needs and works great. Many users with old MBPs are in the same situation. You can't try that on a 8-10 year old Windows PC or it would be a crawl, or with unsupported hardware. I am a windows guy as I work in IT, but I know what works and what doesn't well.

MACs do last longer. The O/S just out performs Windows on older hardware. My Mom still has her 2009 Mac Mini, (with an SSD, and 8gb), it still is fast for what she needs and works great. Many users with old MBPs are in the same situation. You can't try that on a 8-10 year old Windows PC or it would be a crawl, or with unsupported hardware. I am a windows guy as I work in IT, but I know what works and what doesn't well.
You do know that apple uses the same pc parts as other manufacturers?

And working in IT doesn't mean much these days, given the incredible amount of incompetent techs that i had the displeasure of working with or train them.

Lastly, a 3 thousand computer that can run osx, will run Windows or linux faster.

And no, not an apple or ms fanboi, but those lies needs to stop.

Just about anything with an SSD and 8 GB will run Windows 7 through 10 just fine. A system from 8 to 10 years ago that ran Windows 7 well should be able to 8 to 10 as well.

Back