Apple's MacBooks: Still the Most Reliable

So in other words, the OS is a moot point, as anyone can repair or replace it. There's also plenty of shops that can do it too.

All that's left is hardware. The Macbook is going to be lower spec, when compared to a Windows laptop at the same price. So...Windows laptop is going to last longer. Hell, just the fact that most PC laptops have user replaceable batteries means it'll last longer.

LOL most laptops with a similar form factor as the Macbook Pro dont have a replaceable battery. People seem to forget the Macbook Pro is bloody thin and better built than any Windows laptop out there.

I like how everyone says lower spec. The screens are still market leading other than useless resolutions, SSD performance is the best in the market, CPUs are as fast as they get. Oh I forgot people still bitch about 32GB of ram in a laptop lol when OSX offloads to the SSD anyway. 4 USB-C ports capable of driving dual 5K displays.

The only area they fall short is graphics which wont change unless NVIDIA stops pushing CUDA which isnt optimised for OSX.

People seem to forget the Macbook Pro is bloody thin and better built than any Windows laptop out there.

This is a personal opinion and not a statement of fact, in case intelligent people aren't paying attention. ;)

For anyone questioning whether MacBooks are that reliable, go watch some Louis Rossman repair videos. The guy has steady consistent aka "always available" business at his very small repair shop in Manhattan and while his attitude towards many things in life can be rather like listening to a human cheese grater, the fact that he does board level repairs - a true art in this day and age and practically black magic considering Apple's entire forced obsolescence practices especially with them fighting tooth and nail to prevent such repair shops from getting the schematics necessary to do the actual repairs - is rather awesome.

My company does some board level stuff and I have watched Louis Rossman off and on for a long time since I found his channel about some right to repair stuff that effected me heavily.

Most of his repairs are not due to the failure of the Apple product but due to customers pouring water, beer, dropping them etc. I do not agree with how Apple doesn't sell parts myself, but that is what the fight for right to repair is about.

I have used business Dell, Lenovo(ThinkPad), HP(Compaq) for many years. Their laptops do not last as long as what the MacBooks do, the only reason that I like some of their laptops over Apple is docking stations! I can't stand that I don't have a true factory docking station for my MBP.

Im a PC guy but had a macbook pro given to my by my company. I ran into some hardware issues and the service was amazing. While I don't agree with the pricing of their products the service is some of the best bar-none. When my mother wanted a smart phone and a laptop, I got her OSX and IOS.

Reactions: VRT
like this
My company does some board level stuff and I have watched Louis Rossman off and on for a long time since I found his channel about some right to repair stuff that effected me heavily.

Most of his repairs are not due to the failure of the Apple product but due to customers pouring water, beer, dropping them etc. I do not agree with how Apple doesn't sell parts myself, but that is what the fight for right to repair is about.

I have used business Dell, Lenovo(ThinkPad), HP(Compaq) for many years. Their laptops do not last as long as what the MacBooks do, the only reason that I like some of their laptops over Apple is docking stations! I can't stand that I don't have a true factory docking station for my MBP.

I have to agree, to be honest Louis comes across as dick a fair bit of the time. His views are biased towards a business who wants more business and Apple are blocking him, the repair jobs he sometimes does are horrid and not going to last long purely for the sake of getting the repair job. He also only see's Apple products at their worst after many years of abuse and crap spilled in them.

His USB-C video was the cake for me, trashing Apple for no supporting cheap ass chinese dongles that they simply had no driver support for yet and even those are supported now. His views are so biased.

LOL most laptops with a similar form factor as the Macbook Pro dont have a replaceable battery. People seem to forget the Macbook Pro is bloody thin and better built than any Windows laptop out there.

I didn't say same form factor. I said same price point. I also guess you've never bothered looking around at Windows laptops. Razer Blade, Xiaomi Mi, Asuspro B9440, and a slew of other laptops out there that are comparable or better.

I like how everyone says lower spec. The screens are still market leading other than useless resolutions, SSD performance is the best in the market, CPUs are as fast as they get. Oh I forgot people still bitch about 32GB of ram in a laptop lol when OSX offloads to the SSD anyway. 4 USB-C ports capable of driving dual 5K displays.

The screen is the same things everyone else has. Hardly market leading. Well...except those who decide to put OLED screens in their laptops. They're market leading. SSD performance? It's a Samsung SM951 SSD. It showed up in Levono laptops like a year before Apple started using them.

CPUs? Macbooks use Core m3 and m5s. They are slower than an i3. Pro 13 inch? Not using the fastest i5 out there. 15 inch? Not using the fastest i7 out there either. Dual 5k displays? Run one on a Displayport 1.2 and one on a USB-C. Viola! Can do it on like half the Windows laptops out there. You can only do it on 15" Macbook Pros, nothing below that.

The only area they fall short is graphics which wont change unless NVIDIA stops pushing CUDA which isnt optimised for OSX.

It's an area they always fall short on. Has nothing to do with Nvidia pushing CUDA and more to do with space limitations. Not a whole lot of thermal headroom, when all you keep doing is shrinking the chassis.

I didn't say same form factor. I said same price point. I also guess you've never bothered looking around at Windows laptops. Razer Blade, Xiaomi Mi, Asuspro B9440, and a slew of other laptops out there that are comparable or better.

The screen is the same things everyone else has. Hardly market leading. Well...except those who decide to put OLED screens in their laptops. They're market leading. SSD performance? It's a Samsung SM951 SSD. It showed up in Levono laptops like a year before Apple started using them.

CPUs? Macbooks use Core m3 and m5s. They are slower than an i3. Pro 13 inch? Not using the fastest i5 out there. 15 inch? Not using the fastest i7 out there either. Dual 5k displays? Run one on a Displayport 1.2 and one on a USB-C. Viola! Can do it on like half the Windows laptops out there. You can only do it on 15" Macbook Pros, nothing below that.

It's an area they always fall short on. Has nothing to do with Nvidia pushing CUDA and more to do with space limitations. Not a whole lot of thermal headroom, when all you keep doing is shrinking the chassis.

That is a load of crap and you know it... NVIDIA card use less power than AMD. It is simply the fact that AMD cards perform better for core apps such as FCPx, compressor etc. Apple also hate CUDA because its closed off and proprietary.

Lol it isnt a Samsung SSD... it doesnt even resemble one and yes it is the fastest on the market.

It is a market leading screen when it comes to gamut, brightness, calibration... etc

That is a load of crap and you know it... NVIDIA card use less power than AMD. It is simply the fact that AMD cards perform better for core apps such as FCPx, compressor etc. Apple also hate CUDA because its closed off and proprietary.

Yep, load of crap. Why Nvidia cards were overheating in Macs. Yes, that's not the case today, but they already got in bed with AMD for lower prices. AMD was pushing hard to get into the OEM space when Apple swapped over.

Lol it isnt a Samsung SSD... it doesnt even resemble one and yes it is the fastest on the market.

It doesn't resemble m2 or mSATA SSDs, cause it's not one. It's a custom pinned PCIe setup. Samsung created a custom form factor SM951 SSD for it. Toshiba and Sandisk have also made SSDs for Apple.

If you're talking the non-Pro, that's all soldered onboard. That could be a Apple made NVMe SSD controller, no one knows for sure. I'll say it is one, if you'd like. Doesn't really matter. It's not the fastest on the market. Most NVMe SSDs beat it.

It is a market leading screen when it comes to gamut, brightness, calibration... etc

I'll agree with gamut, not so much the rest. The Macbook Pro is probably the only laptop currently out to support the P3 color gamut. Either no one else supports it or no one else claims to support it. I figure the former is more true, than the latter.

Yeeeahhh if you think about it, its never really a fair comparison, never has been.
Apple cranks out, what? one model? 3? (don't know don't care)
The big boys crank out many models across multiple $$ tiers.. also sell across multiple venues, its really not the same.
Fact that Apple is over-priced also narrows the people purchasing, which I am sure also skews the service aspect.
The one laptop I got was from HP, fucking thing still alive after 10 years I think (lost count, but it is a Core Duo, back when it basically just came out)works just fine. HDD went out, and battery died, that is not surprising.
So yeah, you get top of the line from HP/Dell, you probably get same as Apple hardware.

[
Yeeeahhh if you think about it, its never really a fair comparison, never has been.
Apple cranks out, what? one model? 3? (don't know don't care)
The big boys crank out many models across multiple $$ tiers.. also sell across multiple venues, its really not the same.
Fact that Apple is over-priced also narrows the people purchasing, which I am sure also skews the service aspect.
The one laptop I got was from HP, fucking thing still alive after 10 years I think (lost count, but it is a Core Duo, back when it basically just came out)works just fine. HDD went out, and battery died, that is not surprising.
So yeah, you get top of the line from HP/Dell, you probably get same as Apple hardware.

I think Apple does overprice the normal Macbook, but the Pro is actually not badly priced.

HP, great laptops, so long as it's integrated graphics. I find their laptops that have discrete graphics, they tend to overheat. I have a like 3 year old HP Envy 17 that overheats. I'd have to let it cool after like 2 hours of gaming. It's gotten worse and today, I can't do anything that'll tax the graphics. It'll overheat in like 10 mins and bork over Windows. I have been contemplating on tearing it apart and sticking it into a like suitcase with some better cooling.

Dell. I've never had any problems with their laptops, excep my old Dell Inspiron 5000e from 2001. The keyboard needed replacing. That's it.

So far the argument is that Apple products are overpriced as compared to crap sub-$500 dollar devices but if we want to talk about positive aspects, such as, longevity we have to compare them to business class models or it's not fair?

So far the argument is that Apple products are overpriced as compared to crap sub-$500 dollar devices but if we want to talk about positive aspects, such as, longevity we have to compare them to business class models or it's not fair?

No, you compare them by their price points, by their specs, or by their form factors. So at the same price, you end up getting a higher performance Windows laptop. At the same specs, you end up with a lower cost Windows laptop. If you compare at similiar form factors, the Windows PC usually is near the same price, near the same specs, with some random extras you may or may not use.

The Macbook Pro and Macbook Air aren't badly priced for what it is. The normal Macbook I feel is very overpriced though. That's not to say others haven't jumped on the same bandwagon as the normal Macbook. Dell releases Latitudes that are the same, worse, or better than the normal Macbook, while costing the same. Which I also think are overpriced.

Except it might mean there is a reason Apple's are "over priced". Let's be honest, the number one complaint people have around here for Apple anything is that they cost too much.

Myself, even though I don't like Apple systems, I have always said build quality is pretty nice, yes, you can find PC systems in the same price range built just as nice however, but that should not take away from Apple. If it was not for the Apple OS and I was looking for a topend build quality laptop, they would be on the list to look at. However some people love the OS, and if thats the case, it's a good choice.

Back