Apple's iPhone Stirs Up Rivals

Rich Tate

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jun 9, 2005
Messages
5,955
We’ve heard a lot of buzz over the past couple weeks about the coming of the iPhone. A lot of people have been excited about the product overall, but there are some who think that Apple has simply gotten themselves into a huge uphill battle in a market already ripe with competition.

Pablo Gonzalez, a Prada shoe-wearing cell phone connoisseur who jumps from one new handset to the next, is ready to ditch his $1,000 touch-screen cell phone for Apple's iPhone when it becomes available in June.
 
Heh, I don't know why you just didn't quote my posts... as I predicted this the second they announced their iphone. The cellular market is not like the computing market, they are more cut-throat, they are more driven, and they dont' give a whoot over who they stomp into the ground.

Apple is going to get thier hype handed to them on a golden platter.
 
Time will tell bro. I do agree with the article in that the market is already flooded with trendy gadget like phones, and this isn't anything really that innovative. We shall see soon enough. ;)
 
Time will tell bro. I do agree with the article in that the market is already flooded with trendy gadget like phones, and this isn't anything really that innovative. We shall see soon enough. ;)



true.. it won't have the same affect that the ipod had on the digital music player industry..
 
true.. it won't have the same affect that the ipod had on the digital music player industry..

That i will agree with 100%. Another thing that hurts is that if you don't have Cingular it's either switch to get one, or not. I'm not too into tacking 200 bucks onto the price of the phone to get out of my present contract to get one.

It's in no way similar to the ipod revolution. Everyone can't just walk in and buy one.
 
It's called convergence and to this date no one has gotten it right. It's a bit silly to criticize a product that's not out. On the other hand it's also a bit silly to think you can bust into a saturated market. However, there were MP3 players before the iPod and there were MP3 players after. The iPod is still king and I don't think being trendy is the only thing that gets people buying. As said previously, it's the whole package, the integration.

Of course you're going to be able to do everything the iPhone does with many other SmartPhones, but that's not the point. The point is the way the iPhone will integrate and simplify various aspects in a way that will make sense and also make the product superior. iPhone features will not be revolutionary; iPhone functionality will. It'll be easier to use and have 90% of what most people want. The price will drop in 2 years and a lot of people will jump ship.

Remember that Apple said they just want 1%. They're not asking for 74% like the iPod. They set expectations low, but the media and everyone has set the bar high. To be honest, I'd love the iPhone. However, I don't like throwing money at gadgets, but this may be the gadget I've been waiting for.

However, I’m going to reserve judgment until I get to play with the phone. Key factors will be the Cingular service. If it’s outrageous, then forget it. If they offer a reasonable data plan, then sign-me-up. I also think it’s a mistake that only 1 service provider will carry the phone. But that’s been the case for years and it’s dumb.
 
A small percentage of this market, with the predicted margins = good margins.

Plus, all the hype, including the continued coverage here at Hard (vaguely trollish or not) = free publicity.
 
We gave the PS3 a ton of coverage too....you see how that turned out. ;)
 
iPhone didn't really stir up anything if you ask me.

Phones have been doing what the iPhone is for along time now. The iPhone just allows people to use their iTunes music since Apple fucks you sideways and forces you to do it that way since you can't get your iTunes music onto anything else without burning a CD.

Cheers
 
Back
Top