Apple's Echo Rival Has Built-In Camera

HardOCP News

[H] News
Does anyone know why you would need a camera in one of these things? Maybe use it as home security or a nanny cam? Nah, that sounds too useful for Apple, the camera will probably be used to tell you when you look like crap and suggest a diet or new clothes.

Thanks to the Echo and its built-in voice assistant called Alexa, Amazon is already playing a central role in that transition in people's homes. Apple finds itself behind the pack even though it launched Siri before digital assistants came into vogue. Neither the Echo nor Google's recently announced device, Google Home, currently have cameras. They're both voice-activated speakers that let you control your home appliances by speaking commands aloud. Apple's device also will obey voice commands through Siri, The Information reported earlier this week.

Even google isn't evil enough to put a camera on their thingamajiggy, way to go apple!

I do not need a camera watching me in the kitchen in my underwear myself :)

Wonder if it will be able to read lips?

I'm sorry Dave, but I can't do that......

I've played around with the Canary - it's basically a web came that is always watching. It's for home security, keep an eye on your dog, etc. We have it in an office at work. Its great to watch people when they don't know you are watching them. This is precisely why I don't want a camera in my house going to the cloud.
FYI - Google has the Nest DropCam (think that's the name of it). No thanks.

Same thing as webcams built into laptops, Kinect cameras on X-boxes, Skype cameras built into TVs, etc. They're all a bad idea. I have one in my laptop and it's covered in tape. The camera is also disabled in the OS. It's paranoia, but it's justified paranoia. You need to have a place where you can eat cereal with messy hair and beard stubble in your underwear and not worry about cameras.

I have 2 daughters. I put duct tape over both of their laptop cameras. This is a pedephiles dream. People are selectively ignorant to think bad things won't happen. When I was a kid, it was the 70's. There were no webcams or "Internets". Things were so much better, in so many ways. You could even go to McDonalds and get good service back before the ghetto crowds took over.

Back