Apple's $930M Legal Win Over Samsung Partially Reversed

HardOCP News

[H] News
Even though Apple has more money than many small countries, the company can't be too thrilled about this ruling.

A Federal Circuit Court of Appeals ruled earlier today that while Samsung did indeed violate Apple's design patents, it didn't do the with same Apple's trade dress — broader elements of design and aesthetic that dictate the presentation of Apple's gadgets. With that bombshell dropped, the court has asked for an update on the damages to be awarded sans the trade dress stuff, which should work out to a roughly $382 million discount for Samsung.

INB4 Apple hate!

Because Apple is the ONLY company in the world that behaves this way!!!

/sheeple
/lolwutYourAndroidPhoneHasMoreUsersThanApplelolYoureNowTheSheep

greedy-man.jpg

As usual... if this surprises anyone, you haven't been paying attention. It was not a great verdict to begin with, and the damages were insane (originally over $1b). I suspect we're looking at less than $500m after the re-calculation, maybe closer to $400m.

The way this keeps bouncing around in appeal and the fact the amount keeps getting lowered, this seems to go to show that the original verdict was a complete joke and the judge equally so.

Yeah not sure why people are surprised. If you paid even a small amount of attention to the case you would have seen that the verdict was damn dumb to begin with. I mean the piece in question right now is about the rectangle with rounded corners patent. :rolleyes:

The only thing worse then the verdict on most of this case is what the USPTO allowed Apple (and allows everybody else) to actually patent.

The way this keeps bouncing around in appeal and the fact the amount keeps getting lowered, this seems to go to show that the original verdict was a complete joke and the judge equally so.

No, I think Koh actually ran a pretty tight ship. Remember, this was a jury verdict and jury-awarded damages. She threw out a lot of insane argument by both sides before it went to the jury, and she did a good job of creating a solid record for these appeals to be heard appropriately.

INB4 Apple hate!

/sheeple

Spoken like a true member if the iSheep flock.

If something comes out that fits my needs more than an Android phone, I'd have no problem switching, just like I switched from the Blackberry I had years ago. Most the people I know with Android phones would also be open to something else, if it was better.

However, the people I work with that have iPhones can't imagine ever switching to something else. They make the excuses that it would be too much trouble, etc. Even before the iPhone 6, they complained about the small screen, or other problems, yet couldn't imagine using something else. Some of these same people constantly complain they are broke, yet some how come up with the money to buy the most expensive phone available.

@OEM, wtf, man. This has nothing to do with Android vs Apple, what are you talking about? This is SAMSUNG v Apple, and an Appeals court turning over a Jury's damages award.

Android is ENTIRELY irrelevant.

INB4 Apple hate!

/sheeple

Are you feeling okay?

INB4 Apple hate!

/sheeple

The problem with this comment is Apple, and it's sheep, hold it up as being different and better than the rest but their actions say otherwise.

It boils down if you claim you hold higher standards you can't turn around and say "Well everyone does it" when you get called out for not meeting a higher standard.

Finally a little sanity. The trade dress penalties were idiotic. What the original ruling said was in effect no one could make a black touch screen phone with rounded corners.

Lets be honest, Samsung is practically Android in cases like this. And, the meat of my first post was ENTIRELY relevant.

Lets be honest, Samsung is practically Android in cases like this. And, the meat of my first post was ENTIRELY relevant.

Nothing could be further from the truth. Considering the heavy Samsung skinning at the time, and that this is a design-patent and trade dress case, Android is entirely irrelevant. The fact you think so exposes a lack of understanding of the case, the law and the issues.

Apple sueing over rounded rectangle design, court giving Apple that much money is like if Ford sued other car makers cause they made cars that had 4 wheels like they did.

Samsung sells more devices with Tizen and their own software than they do with Android.

Try not to be such a simplistic troll. Failing to see options beyond your faith in one brand isn't very [H]ard.

Samsung sells more devices with Tizen and their own software than they do with Android.

Try not to be such a simplistic troll. Failing to see options beyond your faith in one brand isn't very [H]ard.

Clearly you've never been in the Cell phone section.

I like Apple as a company as they are one of the U.S.'s most profitable companies. I like their build quality as well but the lawsuits, the lawsuits are absolutely ridiculous. It is like if anyone makes anything that even remotely looks like one of their products, "Let's sue them". They make nice things but I still love to build my own computer, maybe one day I'll buy one of their PC's just for the children but until then, will keep building my own.

The more it bounces around, the more the judicial system and lawyers win. They make MAD money from this kind of bullshit. I have an estranged lawyer uncle that is so filthy rich its not even funny.

a rectangular product shape with all four corners uniformly rounded;
the front surface of the product dominated by a screen surface with black borders;
as to the iPhone and iPod touch products, substantial black borders above and below the screen having roughly equal width and narrower black borders on either side of the screen having roughly equal width;
as to the iPad product, substantial black borders on all sides being roughly equal in width;
a metallic surround framing the perimeter of the top surface;
a display of a grid of colorful square icons with uniformly rounded corners; and
a bottom row of square icons (the "Springboard") set off from the other icons and that do not change as the other pages of the user interface are viewed.

these are legitmate patents.

come on people!

When this is finally done it will have dropped to $0 because iPhones now look and function a lot more like Samsung Galaxy than the other way around. This trial was originally more about abusing the justice system to kill competition than anything else.

By the time Samsung gets this reduced to "zero" they will have paid 1 billion dollars to their lawyers.

I'd probably wager that, since they are going to lose the money anyway, the less that makes it to apple, the better.

Paying your lawyers more also leads to more loyal lawyers, or at least lawyers that is more likely to take your case afterwards. Money given to Apple is entirely lost money.

Yeah not sure why people are surprised. If you paid even a small amount of attention to the case you would have seen that the verdict was damn dumb to begin with. I mean the piece in question right now is about the rectangle with rounded corners patent. :rolleyes:

The only thing worse then the verdict on most of this case is what the USPTO allowed Apple (and allows everybody else) to actually patent.
They proved enough that samsung's phones magically all decided to go from a vast range of designed all down to a brick with rounded corners with a few buttons max after the iphones release and i doubt samsung's lawyers are so shitty they couldn't dispute otherwise. Truthfully Samsung likely did copy the much more successful iphones design companies do that all the time, but do i care, not really design isn't equal to usefulness. Do i think aesthetic design should be lawsuit? Not really... but I get it I "branding" which is why shit like kitchenaid all sport that same art-deco look and cars all have the same grill design to define what company it came from etc.

They proved enough that samsung's phones magically all decided to go from a vast range of designed all down to a brick with rounded corners with a few buttons max after the iphones release and i doubt samsung's lawyers are so shitty they couldn't dispute otherwise. Truthfully Samsung likely did copy the much more successful iphones design companies do that all the time, but do i care, not really design isn't equal to usefulness. Do i think aesthetic design should be lawsuit? Not really... but I get it I "branding" which is why shit like kitchenaid all sport that same art-deco look and cars all have the same grill design to define what company it came from etc.

Samsung was making/developing phones that were round with a singular button (basically looking similar to the iPhone) months to a year before the iPhone was even announced. Apple was able to get the evidence of those prototypes dismissed from being used in the trial. Basically, if these prototypes were allowed in the trial, Apple's trade-dress filings would've been declared invalid, so Apple did anything and everything it could do to make sure Samsung's prototypes never saw the courtroom.

Back