Apple: We'll Fix iPhone Tracking 'Bug'

HardOCP News

[H] News
Joined
Dec 31, 1969
Messages
0
Yeah, it's a bug. Unless someone on the iPhone development team actually has the name "bug," this isn't the fault of a bug. :rolleyes: Anyhow, Apple says they will fix the "bug" with a patch soon.

"Apple is not tracking the location of your iPhone. Apple has never done so and has no plans to ever do so," the FAQ says. But the company did admit that it may be storing too much information about users' location. And it said it will soon fix this in a software release.
 
It was a bug alright, not the tracking but it being discovered as I'm sure that was never intended. lol!
 
Just like free cases quieted the dissidents about the defective antenna design, this FAQ will quiet them again. Our privacy be damned! :rolleyes:

You have to admit the RDF is an amazing thing. It blows smoke up users asses, but makes it looks like rainbows and unicorns.

Can you imagine the backlash if it had been Microsoft doing this behind users backs? Redmond would be burnt to the ground.
 
Can you imagine the backlash if it had been Microsoft doing this behind users backs? Redmond would be burnt to the ground.

Heh, indeed, but you know that MS is the devil and Apple is so fresh and so clean clean...:rolleyes:
 
The only "bug" was that Apple didn't properly hide it, and someone found out.
 
yep.. the "bugfix" will be to store it somewhere else, with encryption ... privacy and user rights mean nothing these days, welcome to the 21st century.
 
You know how many lines of code you'd need to implement, to cause this 'bug'? That's like saying the cop accidentally put a GPS tracker on your car, when he pulled you over.

Cop: Sorry, I someone found the time, and ability to crawl underneath your car to place the GPS tracking device. Force of habbit.

Apple: Sorry, my coders worked around the clock to implement the tracking 'bug' that you found in your phone. You know how our coders work. They must have been sleep coding. Happens all the time. As a distraction, the new iPhone 5 might come out soon!

It's all bullshit.
 
More and more Apple is looking like Sony. All we need now is some haxor to break into their crap.

Apple = Sony
 
I was sure Apple would say "It's not a bug.. it's a feature!"

bug_vs_feature.gif
 
Every reputable source I've seen has come to the conclusion that Apple isn't storing your location, but the location of cell towers and wifi signals near you. That's why a standalone GPS will take minutes to find a strong signal if you fly somewhere else, but an iPhone (or anything using assisted GPS) can get your location pretty well resolved within seconds.

But don't let facts get in the way of your Apple bashing.
 
and the diffrence is? even if that is the case.... so the location is accurate up to 3km compared to accurate up to 100m, it's still tracking your location without your permission, and storing it / sending it.
 
You have to admit the RDF is an amazing thing. It blows smoke up users asses, but makes it looks like rainbows and unicorns.
RDF really reminds me of the Reaper indoctrination in Mass Effect.
It is so blatantly obvious to everyone else what is going on but as soon as you pay for Reaper (erm, Apple) technology you become indoctrinated to completely disregard reality.

I can't help but admire how Apple manages to pull that off. Then again, the Apple RDF is to technology what Fox News is to politics and it works well in both cases. Truly amazing and sad at the same time.
 
Blame the users! This is all I read.

Answer to #2:
"...Users are confused..."
 
Do yo not think if MS was sending things home it would of been found out by now by users, all it would take it some packet sniffing from the OS on outbound data and tada!

One thing about Windows Phone, EVERY app that uses location sensors gives a nice warning, even Microsoft's stuff so even if you have location tracking on you still have to let each app opt in. Now what ultimately is being done with all of that data, honestly I don't know but this is Microsoft we're talking about and it's not like there's plenty of people that think they are evil and want to steal your soul and location data. If there's something going on I'm sure someone will find out.

For me, I'm either at home or at work so I really couldn't care less if I were being tracked, it's not like you need GPS and tracking technology to me I'd be much more concerned with my credit card numbers getting swiped.
 
Do yo not think if MS was sending things home it would of been found out by now by users, all it would take it some packet sniffing from the OS on outbound data and tada!
iOS apparently did it for years. No one seemed to notice until, what, a few weeks ago? When was the very first report of this taking place?

One thing about Windows Phone, EVERY app that uses location sensors gives a nice warning, even Microsoft's stuff so even if you have location tracking on you still have to let each app opt in.
It works the exact same way in iOS.
 
iOS apparently did it for years. No one seemed to notice until, what, a few weeks ago? When was the very first report of this taking place?


It works the exact same way in iOS.

but they havent been under the micrsoft like MS has, wasnt it when vista came out the rumor of them teaming up with some CIA or FBI to send info as needed.

MS would get nailed the second they tried this, most people on cell phones never throught about it likely.
 
but they havent been under the micrsoft like MS has, wasnt it when vista came out the rumor of them teaming up with some CIA or FBI to send info as needed.

MS would get nailed the second they tried this, most people on cell phones never throught about it likely.

I recall reading that win 7 phone version only stores the last known location -- which would be the current location as the phone pins down your coordinates. Both iOS and android actually stored the data, but the android stuff was far harder to get to and actually gave a warning when it would be done, whereas the iOS warning was just released in the form of "it's a bug."

It wasn't even encrypted, because the guys who found out actually saw the data in plain ol' longitude / latitude format.
 
but they havent been under the micrsoft like MS has
I'm assuming "micrsoft" means "microscope". Are you really suggesting that Apple hasn't been under the microscope to the extent that Microsoft has in the last several years?

I've heard some silly things in my time, but damn...this might be the silliest I've heard yet.
 
The guys with Southpark already tackled this whole thing tonight. Rather comically.
 
good thing I already disabled this 'bug' thanks to a small package from cydia
 
I'm assuming "micrsoft" means "microscope". Are you really suggesting that Apple hasn't been under the microscope to the extent that Microsoft has in the last several years?

I've heard some silly things in my time, but damn...this might be the silliest I've heard yet.

LOL ya, typo, and no, they havent... at least not in the EU, people just accept Apple and what they tell them blindly, MS says something it is all over the news and everyone screaming conspiracy.
 
Back
Top