Apple Watch

QwertyJuan

[H]F Junkie
Prices revealed...

https://bgr.com/2015/03/09/apple-watch-prices-unveiled/

Tim Cook revealed on Monday the following prices for the various models of the Apple Watch:

Apple Watch Sport – 38mm: $349
Apple Watch Sport – 42mm: $399
Apple Watch – 38mm: $549 – $1,049 (Prices vary based on watch band)
Apple Watch – 42mm: $599 – $1,099 (Prices vary based on watch band)
Apple Watch Edition: $10,000

Ive claims it's a better grade of aluminum but doesn't mention the official grade. Is it better than the mass produced corrosion prone 6003 used in Macbooks or as good as aircraft quality 6013 used in Galaxy S6? Considering so little of it is required for a watch it'd better be top notch for the price they're charging.

Apple Watch Edition is $10,000 - $17,000 depending upon size and band. Leather band costs ~$5,000, 42mm costs ~$2,000 more than 38mm.

Mmmmmm $5,000 leather band and $500 per mm of additional screen space. Them there's a bargain!

It's going to be hard to not make fun of people who buy these at those prices unless carriers figure out a way to sell them on contract, lol.

I feel like this would be much easier to break when its on your wrist.

I'm a huge fan of Apple, but just don't see any appeal in or use for the Apple watch (or any smart watch).

Last edited:
It's funny when even Apple insiders are already calling it a flop before its even on the shelf.

I just laughed the whole time. 18 hours battery life? Not waterproof? No built-in GPS? $350 is the cheapest? Why the fuck do I want Instagram on my watch? It's a companion device not a replacement. Leave apps like that on the damn phone. Talk through my watch? Not unless K.I.T.T. is on the other end.

My Sony Smartwatch 3 gets 2 days of battery life (3 if I really try). Has GPS. IP68 rating. WiFi and NFC for future versions of Wear. Oh and it was $100 less.

I just laughed the whole time. 18 hours battery life? Not waterproof? No built-in GPS? $350 is the cheapest? Why the fuck do I want Instagram on my watch? It's a companion device not a replacement. Leave apps like that on the damn phone. Talk through my watch? Not unless K.I.T.T. is on the other end.

My Sony Smartwatch 3 gets 2 days of battery life (3 if I really try). Has GPS. IP68 rating. WiFi and NFC for future versions of Wear. Oh and it was $100 less.

The new Pebble will have 7 day battery life I believe.

18 hours battery life?

18 hours is mostly idle with a little bit of screen-on time. Screen-on time is probably closer to 2 hours hence they only mention a half marathon for the fitness aspect which takes on average about 2 hours to complete. They specifically didn't mention full marathon which takes 4 to 5 hours on average since they'll be liable for false advertising.

we don't need billion features on smartwatch
just need design + watch functionality + notification + maybe health stuff

Flash back to the 2007 iPhone.

"I just laughed the whole time. 8 hours of talk time? No 3G or GPS? $499 on contract is the cheapest? Why do I want the 'real' web on my phone? I have a computer for that.

"My Nokia N95 lasts two days, and has 3G and GPS. I got it for that price off-contract."

In short: it's not just about the spec sheet and price. I'm not saying the Apple Watch will be as successful as the iPhone, but you're using the same reasoning that let Apple topple the mobile efforts of BlackBerry, Microsoft, Nokia and Palm. Apple is counting on the software experience and design to win the day. Whether or not it does is far from certain, but history suggests that you never, ever underestimate Apple's ability to draw people in based on those qualities.

Last edited:

C'mon meow.. you know people aren't gonna buy this for what it can or can't do.

It's a pathetic attempt at a watch from Apple but let's face it, it's going to sell like crazy.

I was looking forward to this watch. I'll wait for 2.0 like I am waiting for the Moto 360 2.0 (aka the Huawei Watch?!?). This is a huge and expensive piece of shit with an Apple logo... (Just like what I said about the original iPhone - Aurelius!) Sure, the fanboys will buy it. But it's not for me. At least not yet.

I don't think I could wait for the iPhone 6S announcements, so it looks like Samsung has my money this time around. Unless the final release version of TouchWiz still sucks, I'll be getting a GS6 Edge.

Pebble Time FTW!

I was looking forward to this watch. I'll wait for 2.0 like I am waiting for the Moto 360 2.0 (aka the Huawei Watch?!?). This is a huge and expensive piece of shit with an Apple logo... (Just like what I said about the original iPhone - Aurelius!) Sure, the fanboys will buy it. But it's not for me. At least not yet.

I don't think I could wait for the iPhone 6S announcements, so it looks like Samsung has my money this time around. Unless the final release version of TouchWiz still sucks, I'll be getting a GS6 Edge.

Pebble Time FTW!

I would have to agree on all counts... S6 Edge and Pebble Time. "If" I had the money, this is the combo I would own.

It's a pathetic attempt at a watch from Apple but let's face it, it's going to sell like crazy.

I believe your definition of pathetic is different than mine.

I'm disappointed in the battery life but I'm looking at the quality of these watches.

Cherry picking much?

Like I point out already, I have lots of aluminum product from Apple, none of them are having issue like this for years. I have tons of sweat, and none of them having this issue. Not my Asus PadFone, and my HTC One that I hold in hand most of the time.

If this is truly a issue or defect on aluminum product, the problem should already flood all over the place and forums from left to right.

PS: We all know you love samsung so much, you really don't need to state further. ;)

Wonder how much memory these things have...

Test versions had 8GB inside, reportedly, so I'd expect that much. Enough to hold all your watch apps, some photos and a lengthy exercise playlist.

Apple being Apple and putting profit first it's probably 2GB but not more than 4GB.

I'd consider the sports basic version but that solely depends on how well it works as a sports watch.

I don't like running with a phone so I'm guessing it won't fit my needs.

For sports you're better off with something like the $160 Garmin XT310 with ~20 hour battery life, built-in GPS, always-on display, heart rate monitoring, water resistance, etc. Or, if you want to splurge the XT920.

The highly advanced Apple Watch display will be manufactured by Samsung and LG.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/03/02/us-lg-display-samsung-display-apple-idUSKBN0LY00I20150302
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/03/02/lg-display-samsung-display-apple-idUSL4N0W30U820150302
http://www.businessinsider.com/r-lg...-apple-watch-screens-south-korea-paper-2015-3

Seems like the Korean companies are benefiting so much from Apple's demand for advanced technological parts.

I guess these are the only 2 companies that have the technological capacity to mass manufacture curved displays.

Most of the internals of the Apple Watch are made by Samsung and SK Hynix.

CPU of the Apple Watch is made by Samsung
http://bgr.com/2015/01/09/apple-watch-specs-chip-in-s1-sip/
http://appleinsider.com/articles/15...ld-apple-watchs-s1-processing-module---report
http://www.kitguru.net/apple/anton-shilov/apple-asks-samsung-to-make-s1-processors-for-apple-watch/

Last edited:
The highly advanced Apple Watch display will be manufactured by Samsung and LG.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/03/02/us-lg-display-samsung-display-apple-idUSKBN0LY00I20150302
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/03/02/lg-display-samsung-display-apple-idUSL4N0W30U820150302
http://www.businessinsider.com/r-lg...-apple-watch-screens-south-korea-paper-2015-3

Seems like the Korean companies are benefiting so much from Apple's demand for advanced technological parts.

I guess these are the only 2 companies that have the technological capacity to mass manufacture curved displays.

No big shock there -- they're the only two big companies pushing curved displays and OLED in other fields (see: TV) The question is whether or not they'll be known in the smartwatch space for their own watches... or just making the displays for someone else.

No big shock there -- they're the only two big companies pushing curved displays and OLED in other fields (see: TV) The question is whether or not they'll be known in the smartwatch space for their own watches... or just making the displays for someone else.

Well Samsung has already sold 10 million smartwatches...

I personally know 3 people who own the Samsung smartwatches.

Well Samsung has already sold 10 million smartwatches...

I personally know 3 people who own the Samsung smartwatches.

I personally know 2 people who got the Samsung watch.

One got it from Google I/O for free, another one who got one of the Carrier deal for free.
None of them are using it...... :p

Derpfen, don't shoot the messenger. I had to do a bit of Googling to understand there's an official classification for any type of aluminum used in products together with piecing a few incidents of corrosion I came across on Mac Rumors that I initially passed off as hygiene related because I wasn't aware. Did the homework for you but it's up to you if you choose to remain blind and juvenile.

Less than 3 hours battery life, if you do anything on it... Not impressed. Staying on my 1935 Atlantic ;)

Although I am a big fan op Apple and own many of their products, I don't see myself buying this one. It's definitely a cool device but the pricetag is way too high imo.

I'm gonna be a guinea pig for this, as I have been for Pebble and the Moto 360. However, I may stick to the Watch Sport this time around. I'm fine with paying a lot for a smartwatch made of quality materials... but, as many have suggested, the second gen will probably tackle at least some of the design challenges (mainly thickness and battery life).

I'm gonna be a guinea pig for this, as I have been for Pebble and the Moto 360. However, I may stick to the Watch Sport this time around. I'm fine with paying a lot for a smartwatch made of quality materials... but, as many have suggested, the second gen will probably tackle at least some of the design challenges (mainly thickness and battery life).

I thought you were an iPhone user? How did you use the 360?

I thought you were an iPhone user? How did you use the 360?

I also have a Nexus 5 (and a Lumia 1020), and regularly try out other phones. I'm a massive geek, of course, but I also like the freedom to speak about devices based on recent experiences.

Working for a technology news organization obviously also has its perks, right?

I wish I could get my Pebble Time sooner rather than later.

Have you guys seen the $50 Apple Watch knock-offs?

Last edited:
Back